Replacement Drill Chuck

Need a replacement chuck for my Milwaukee 2504. I nicked it a few times not paying attention while "machining" a socket on a bench grinder, but the grip has always been sub par.

I'm not opposed to a keyed chuck. I think I may actually prefer one. Just after better grip and decent runout.

Are Jacobs any good? Thought they moved overseas a while ago and quality went downhill.
I can't say about the newer ones being produced. But "back in the day" they were top dog. But you may be right on loss of quality if they've gone overseas. $27 seems almost too good to be true for a chuck like that.

The one good thing is Wal-Mart doesn't quibble about returning bad items.

Pretty sure the 2504 is 1/2-20?

Rohm is the only choice for me

Keyless holds great if you understand to gorilla it against the brake (no power, no trigger) and get those last few clicks

My last Rohms came from Suncoast Prec Tools. You can also troll pawn shops for old Dewalts or look around for "for parts" Dewalts. Not all models had them but many did. Old XRP stuff with submarine batts vs the new 20V sled batts.

Good luck!

Pretty sure the 2504 is 1/2-20?

Rohm is the only choice for me

Keyless holds great if you understand to gorilla it against the brake (no power, no trigger) and get those last few clicks

My last Rohms came from Suncoast Prec Tools. You can also troll pawn shops for old Dewalts or look around for "for parts" Dewalts. Not all models had them but many did. Old XRP stuff with submarine batts vs the new 20V sled batts.

Good luck!
I've seen Rohm recommended.

I should have put in my OP that I'm looking for a 1/2-20.

I have an older corded DeWalt drill with a keyed chuck. Maybe I'll swap them.

Putting a keyed chuck on a cordless drill strikes me a bit like having a cell phone with no screen and only a large rotary dial on its face, thus negating much of the convenience.

That said, if it works for OP, that's all that matters. I still maintain a proper keyless chuck will hold better than a 12V drill could ever require, but everyone should equip themselves as they see fit.

Putting a keyed chuck on a cordless drill strikes me a bit like having a cell phone with no screen and only a large rotary dial on its face, thus negating much of the convenience.

That said, if it works for OP, that's all that matters. I still maintain a proper keyless chuck will hold better than a 12V drill could ever require, but everyone should equip themselves as they see fit.
Personally, I find that keyless chucks don't work very well. The bit slips and you can't grip it enough to make it tight enough. with a key that's less of an issue.

Keep in mind that the primary use for my drill is drilling rivet heads or fasteners.

I don't typically need to switch back and forth during a job. I have had issues with the factory chuck holding bits when drilling titanium screws, and when using LH bits.

A lot of it has to do with the quality of the chuck regardless of design. I have seen cheap keyed and keyless chucks rip ugly grooves at the end of good cobalt bits up from slippage and good ones of both styles hold the bits tight. Keyless is definitely more convenient and a good one does a great job but they tend to be larger and take up more working room on hand held drills. On the other hand a good keyed chuck is more compact and can have a tendentious grip.

All that being said you are not going to find an expensive chuck of any sort on a $100 (tool only) retail drill.

Back