Replace TPMS with new tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2004 Chrysler 300M with 50,000 miles on it. The first 6 years we5-7 spent in Michigan and the last 4 in Texas. The original tires are going to be replaced (likely with General Altimax Rt43 or Cooper CS4). I understand that given the age, I should have the TPMS rebuilt. I've also read that the battery life on a TPMS is 5-7 years. Given the age of the car, should I put in new TPMS sensors on each wheel when new tires are put on, or wait until they fail? I think the tire installer wants $65 each. I can get Schraders, which I think are the same as the OEM, for $38 from "StoneCar.web".

The TPMS uses a donut magnet to train the system. I used this when rotating tires. Does this same method work when the new TPMS has different IDs? Or does the dealer have to do something to the computer? I've read about the new EZ and Red I sensors that can clone the existing IDs, but these do not respond to the magnet, so I don,t understand how I could rotate the tires in the future.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

A TPMS rebuild kit is usually all you need (not the entire TPMS unit). Certain parts of the sensor cannot be reused, and requires replacing. I have yet to see a well-maintained TPMS unit fail.

I usually buy the rebuild kits online or from my local auto parts store for around $5 per TPMS kit. Usually, they include the valve core, so I get them serviced whenever I get new tires.

Not sure how the sensors are synced, but I assumed it's relatively simple for your local tire center.

I have the same question sort of. My '08 Lexus RX 350 with 81,000 miles with the OEM 17" wheels has a slow leak on the left rear tire,( Goodyear Assurance ). I noticed on the maintenance records the former owner had the car at the dealer 3 times for the TPM light being on. They finally re-sealed the bead on the rear tire. I also noticed a wheel repair on the report.
I've had to add air to the tire 2 times since I've owned it, ( 2 months ). I feel there is something wrong with the wheel not sealing or something, so I bought 4 used OEM 18" wheels off ebay for a good price.

My question is, should I reuse my original TPM's, have them rebuilt, etc.? I spoke with the Lexus dealer and their response was " just put in new TPM's, $80.00 a pop". Also reading the owners manual about changing wheels and tires to a different size and reprogramming the TPM's sounds like something the dealer should do.

I found some OEM TPM's, Japan built $53.52 or US built $55.03, what's the difference ?
I have a very competent repair shop 5 blocks from me but I'm wondering if they would be as knowledgable as Lexus on certain issues.

Also are there any issues with using my original 17" spare tire with the new 18" wheels ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back