Rental review - 2016 Chevy Tahoe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since new RR's start at 80k plus and go up from there, they are actually far more expensive. Tahoe starts in the upper 40's!

Chevy sold just shy of 11000 units in December alone. Pretty popular vehicle for them, seems to suit a lot of folks needs. I seriously doubt anyone really goes off road in one anyway. More likely to a horse farm and then Publix.

Not really a good point, eh?

Range Rover Sports start at $65,650, with many more options than a Tahoe.Second largest Range Rover, like the Tahoe is the second largest Chevy SUV. The comparable Tahoe would be the LTZ 4x4, starts at $64,740. You got me, about a grand difference. Somehow I don't think either crowd cares about a grand difference. Then if you really consider that the Escalade is more in- line with the Rover since Caddie dealers are more comparable to LR dealers than Chevy dealers, the base Escalade starts at $76,395. So why would I pay more for what's basically a wood and leather lined Silverado?

I think my point stands valid. Different buyer groups, sure. But Rovers are not more expensive than comparable GM offerings. And, there is not a single new GM that would fit my needs as actually use the off road capabilities of my vehicles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Chevy sold just shy of 11000 units in December alone.
5000 of those were .gov for SS to protect the Donald...

That is a low line rental, not even close to what is available to the public at a dealer. Likely even made to order to be extra cheap.

Regular Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban/Escalades etc. are a fantastic vehicle for those that can utilize their combination of truck capability combined with lots of passengers. Fantastic utility and flexibility, just like an Expedition, etc.

We have an older Yukon, it is still our "go to" vehicle when the whole family wants to go somewhere in one vehicle.

I don't consider it low line, we've had a few low-trim vehicles (like the Highlander we had at one point) but this one has most of the bells and whistles. Even if we do ignore the assembly issues, the critique of the mirror design still stands, as does I'm sure the pedal issue and the others.

We've also had a few Escalades as rentals as well, and generally the fit and finish has been better. However the A/C vents in the Suburban seats popping out was really a bizarre experience, and it happened on two different trucks.

Maybe our resident GM expert can confirm as to whether this rental, which is through AVIS, differ in any way, as per your made to order posit, from other vehicles that roll off the same assembly line for consumer consumption.

I was on a business trip earlier this year and had the Sequoia as a rental. The interior on that Tahoe is flat out luxurious compared to the sea of cheap plastic I was surrounded in by the Toyota. The gauges were buried in these weird tunnels that made them impossible to read, Casio LCD screens from the 1990's and this weird opening in the center console that was unfinished and still can't figure out what it was for. The radio looked like it was installed at Best Buy. I'll take the Chevy any day.

JcT0ZpM.jpg

mENgJij.jpg

Btuv7PW.jpg

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I was on a business trip earlier this year and had the Sequoia as a rental. The interior on that Tahoe is flat out luxurious compared to the sea of cheap plastic I was surrounded in by the Toyota. The gauges were buried in these weird tunnels that made them impossible to read, Casio LCD screens from the 1990's and this weird opening in the center console that was unfinished and still can't figure out what it was for. The radio looked like it was installed at Best Buy. I'll take the Chevy any day.

JcT0ZpM.jpg

mENgJij.jpg

Btuv7PW.jpg

Funny you mention that. I actually sat in a Tacoma the other day and thought the interior looked cheap.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
That is a low line rental, not even close to what is available to the public at a dealer. Likely even made to order to be extra cheap.

Regular Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban/Escalades etc. are a fantastic vehicle for those that can utilize their combination of truck capability combined with lots of passengers. Fantastic utility and flexibility, just like an Expedition, etc.

We have an older Yukon, it is still our "go to" vehicle when the whole family wants to go somewhere in one vehicle.

I don't consider it low line, we've had a few low-trim vehicles (like the Highlander we had at one point) but this one has most of the bells and whistles. Even if we do ignore the assembly issues, the critique of the mirror design still stands, as does I'm sure the pedal issue and the others.

We've also had a few Escalades as rentals as well, and generally the fit and finish has been better. However the A/C vents in the Suburban seats popping out was really a bizarre experience, and it happened on two different trucks.

Maybe our resident GM expert can confirm as to whether this rental, which is through AVIS, differ in any way, as per your made to order posit, from other vehicles that roll off the same assembly line for consumer consumption.

All the trucks are built the same, no difference for Rental or Fleet vehicles other than trim levels. Most Rentals and fleet orders are LT level trim which is a mid level.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple

Chevy sold just shy of 11000 units in December alone.
5000 of those were .gov for SS to protect the Donald...

I don't believe that 5000 figure is accurate

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
But Rovers are not more expensive than comparable GM offerings.

So everyone should go out and buy a Range Rover instead of a Tahoe because you say so? Seeing how GM's offerings outsell Range Rovers many times over, there must be a lot of ignorant people out there, right?

You're cherry picking numbers, and besides that, focusing on initial price ignores the much bigger picture. When you consider the total cost of ownership (insurance, repairs, depreciation, maintenance, reliability etc.) the Chevy comes out on top every time, IMO. To each their own.

Quote:
The Tahoe wouldn't handle as nice on road most likely, couldn't keep up off road and doesn't seem to have the personality of a Rover.

Have you tested both side by side? To suggest the RR is better in every way is foolish; that's just bias, or trying to flaunt that you drive a RR instead of a domestic. I loved the Land Rover that I used to own, and would buy one again. Great machine, but I wouldn't go around knocking others' choices because they didn't feel the same way.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
I think my point stands valid. Different buyer groups, sure. But Rovers are not more expensive than comparable GM offerings. And, there is not a single new GM that would fit my needs as actually use the off road capabilities of my vehicles.

Nice shuffle. I like a guy who can think fast on his feet!

Should be obvious, since you were bragging about your old LR3 that i used it for comparison.

In no way are your comparisons valid, just entertaining...

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

All the trucks are built the same, no difference for Rental or Fleet vehicles other than trim levels. Most Rentals and fleet orders are LT level trim which is a mid level.

Trim level! Exactly what I was trying to get across. If I ordered 10k units I could get my name stamped in the dash of every one!

I did not say everyone should buy a RR. I simply said for ME, I don't see spending that much on a GM product that doesn't do much for me. I just like the off road abilities. Please don't put words in my mouth. Thank you.

As for GM selling more, just because something sells more doesn't mean its better. Justin Bieber sold more albums than Roy Buchanan, but yet I know which one I'd rather listen to! I've voiced my opinion, I like what I like and others like what they like and believe what they believe, that's fine. I don't want to continue the thread jack.

So...I'd take the Tahoe over that Sequoia hands down, even with its interior gaps. Are all fleet/rental vehicles sold direct to the rental companies? I'm guessing that's the norm, but sometimes I see rentals with dealer licence plate frames or a dealer sticker.

Last edited:
The gauges were buried in these weird tunnels that made them impossible to read...

I can't stand it when they do that. Mazda is the brand that probably does this most consistently, but some Toyotas have been doing that as well. To me, there's absolutely no good justification for this. Regarding general interior quality, I've never been impressed with that on the Tundra (and the Sequoia being the same inside).

To be fair, though, I don't think GM's big stuff is a stand-out here, either. As GMboy stated, they can only build them how they engineer them or send parts, and there are often inconsistent panel gaps and some unsavory plastic surfaces sometimes. GM makes a big profit on these and certainly builds them to a price point internally to maintain that margin. There's nothing wrong with that at all -- it's just an observation that interior quality isn't quite what one might expect for the price paid. They do what they can with the budget they have -- the ultimate sales price is based more on market demand than the actual cost of design, materials, and labor.

FWIW, I bought a 2007 with 55,000 miles about 2.5 years ago. It's my first experience with GM's full size body-on-frame vehicles. This was mostly a ranch truck (hence the low miles) and needed tires and shocks when I bought it. Since then, I spent a few hundred tracking down a CEL that turned out to be the evap control at the gas filler (not engine related) and a set of rear brakes. I now have 104,000 miles on this truck. I am not a cylinder deactivation fan but I have to admit that the ten year old version on this 5.3 works seamlessly and has been reliable. Maybe GM knows something Honda does not.

I love it and I have to say I'm going to have one of these vehicles for the rest of my life. Of course, this is the prior gen Tahoe so I've looked at the new ones. One obvious issue for me is that Chevy cheapened up the drivers seat. It is noticeably less comfortable than my 2007. I noted at this year's car show that GMC Denalis have different and much more comfortable seats. So be sure you try one on if considering this vehicle. It's also ridiculous that GM doesn't allow high end drive trains in these vehicles (reserving them for GMC product differentiation). I can get a 6.2 in my Camaro but not my Tahoe. Dumb.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
The gauges were buried in these weird tunnels that made them impossible to read...

I can't stand it when they do that. Mazda is the brand that probably does this most consistently, but some Toyotas have been doing that as well. To me, there's absolutely no good justification for this. Regarding general interior quality, I've never been impressed with that on the Tundra (and the Sequoia being the same inside).

Sequoia still has the tunnel guages? I figured when Tundra was updated in 2014 (and did away with them) that Sequoia would follow.

Can't say I like them either. But I don't have problems reading them.

Quote:
$60,000 - $75,000 Chevrolets need to be almost perfect.

X2. If the Tahoe/Suburban was still the multi-passenger parallel to their pickup trucks some unimpressive cosmetic features would be understandable, but they've been designed and priced into the luxury SUV market with the crew cab pickups and Equinox/Traverse taking the place they used to occupy. A move which I fundamentally disagree with, FWIW.

Last edited:

Originally Posted By: GMBoy

So, I just checked. The trim-level for this vehicle is "Premier", making it a 2017, not 2016 like I thought it was. Base MSRP is $63,225.00 according to this:

Chevrolet - Build your own - Trim selector

So definitely far from low line; it is the highest trim level they offer.

Some additional pictures from today, after I realized I included no exterior pics:

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
So, whaddaya think of the seats?

I don't think they match the price tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back