Rental review - 2016 Chevy Tahoe

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
We've got this, and a Mercedes C3xx for rentals currently. I've yet to take the Benz out. This is my 2nd day tooling around in the Tahoe, and so I snapped a few pics and have decided to draft up a bit of a review:

Pros:
- Quiet. Engine noise is extremely muted and the interior appears to be reasonably well insulated.
- Climate control works well and the fan is not obnoxious, despite moving lots of air. HVAC controls are intuitive and well laid-out.
- Turning radius is surprisingly tight
- It eats bumps well.
- Headlights appear to be quite good, but have had limited night use at this time (HID projectors)
- Factory stereo (BOSE) works quite well and is not "boomy" or "tinny".
- Gauges are clear and easy to read
- Signal stock is intuitive and has a quality feel to it, as does the shifter
- Wheel weighting is good, with reasonable self-centre and the materials feel good (leather wrapped)
- Seats are of reasonable quality with decent bolstering. They are heated and cooled.
- There is plenty of storage space in the doors and the less expensive appearing plastic lower down on them is well masked by the higher quality soft touch material higher up.
- Storage space in the rear, with the seats down is quite good, and not awful with the 3rd row up.
- The transmissions seems to shift quickly and smoothly
- The power tailgate works well and is what I would describe as "just the right speed"

Cons:
- The accelerator pedal has in the neighbourhood of 1/4 of it that feels as what I would describe as far too progressive (it does almost nothing) and then all of a sudden you are into the power. This I'm sure aides in gas mileage, as I find myself creeping away from intersections, but has led to "jerky" driving for others, since they try to get past the dead spot and end up hitting the power section pretty hard.
- The seat fan for the cooling feature is loud. REALLY loud. I actually had to turn it off, and I could feel it vibrating in the seat. This is the 2nd time I've had issue with this feature, we had a Suburban where the vents in the back of the seat kept popping out when somebody sat in the seat. We had that issue twice, with two separate ones. When working however, the cooling works well enough.
- The ride, while gobbling up bumps well, seems a bit "bouncy". Like there isn't enough bounce control in the dampening.
- The dead pedal is almost flat with the floor, so it is much less of a dead pedal and more just a part of the floor.
- The lock/unlock button is nowhere near any of the other controls. This is not intuitive.
- The control for the wheel heat is nowhere near any of the other climate/comfort controls. Also not intuitive.
- That navigation works well enough, but isn't as good as the Dodge/Chrysler one
- The third row seats aren't suitable for much other than kids. They are not comfortable and are extremely cramped
- The mirrors are simply awful. For some reason the bottom inner corner of the side mirrors has been cut off? I assume this is for aesthetics but it seriously reduces the utility of the mirrors. They subsequently feel far too small for the vehicle.
- Dash fitment for the navigation is surprisingly poor. The padded section that rides on top of the screen (which slides up to expose a storage bay) does not align well with the dash top and there is a huge gap on the one side.
- Dash cladding appears to be held on with two-sided tape, fitment was also poor and this struck me as something that would eventually delaminate after the heat dried it out.
- The passenger pillar with the handle had a ton of plastic flashing on it from the mould process. This should really have been trimmed, it looks cheap. The drivers side was perfect.
- The transmission, and I don't know why, decided to slam hard into 2nd gear just out of the blue when coming slowly out of Starbucks. It only did it the once but it was a strange feeling
21.gif

Mileage at time of testing was just over 7,000 miles on the odometer.

Pics:

Good write up! I haven't driven one but those mirrors always looked small to me. I thought the previous gen looked better. I also can't get over how tall the new ones are but yet have the ground clearance up front of a small car. I know a Tahoe wouldn't be the best off roader, but I think in an SUV it's ridiculous to have to worry about hitting parking blocks. Had that experience with a 2016 F150 rental.

It's been a LONG time since I've seen a tachometer that goes to only 6,000 rpm on a gas engine. My '84 Cutlass had that -- yellow line at 4,400, redline at 5,000, ends at 6,000. Even our Mopar minivans (with small OHV V-6s) had 7,000 rpm tachometers.

Obviously the tachometer is not relevant in this vehicle class, but I still find its range interesting.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Nice write up. It's a Chevy so don't expect perfection.

$60,000 - $75,000 Chevrolets need to be almost perfect.

But at least GM hasn't moved these across the border.

Most of the ex-rental Tahoes go for around $40k if one is looking to save thousands. I know it used to be a rental but that's a lot of savings. Plus most of these get rented out to the affluent as opposed to the budget types that really get beat up.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

But at least GM hasn't moved these across the border.

I agree. That's German luxury price range.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
It's been a LONG time since I've seen a tachometer that goes to only 6,000 rpm on a gas engine. My '84 Cutlass had that -- yellow line at 4,400, redline at 5,000, ends at 6,000. Even our Mopar minivans (with small OHV V-6s) had 7,000 rpm tachometers.

Obviously the tachometer is not relevant in this vehicle class, but I still find its range interesting.

That's awesome, IMO. Most gas vehicles I've owned have tachs that go way beyond their useful range. My '96 Maxima tach goes to 8k even though the ECU and auto trans will never let it. If you force it by manual gear selection, it will fuel-cut at 6250 (IIRC.) What use is an 8k tach? My '85 F-250 with carbureted 460 only goes to 6k... but it would take a lot of balls (and fuel) to get the needle there. At least there's no computer to override it!

IMO a lot of these domestics are trying to save pennies by not marking the redline with red ink. I had an 04 F250 5.4L with the 6 speed M/T with a 6k tach but cuts off around 5,500rpms.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

That's awesome, IMO. Most gas vehicles I've owned have tachs that go way beyond their useful range. My '96 Maxima tach goes to 8k even though the ECU and auto trans will never let it. If you force it by manual gear selection, it will fuel-cut at 6250 (IIRC.) What use is an 8k tach? My '85 F-250 with carbureted 460 only goes to 6k... but it would take a lot of balls (and fuel) to get the needle there. At least there's no computer to override it!

It would likely hit valve float well before it ever got there

grin.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
It would likely hit valve float well before it ever got there

grin.gif

If all else fails you could drop the clutch in 2nd gear while going 70.. I think you'd float both the valves and the rod bearings. But at least the needle would get to that darned 6k mark!

Nice review, honest and accurate complaints. I am going to share your review with the plant staff and engineering manager in Detroit. We take great pride in building these trucks but much of the issues you stated are due to engineering design, which is out of plant control when assembling the truck. The gap at the NAV screen is actually design intent to allow expansion in hot weather so the screen can rise and lower without rubbing noise.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Nice review, honest and accurate complaints. I am going to share your review with the plant staff and engineering manager in Detroit. We take great pride in building these trucks but much of the issues you stated are due to engineering design, which is out of plant control when assembling the truck. The gap at the NAV screen is actually design intent to allow expansion in hot weather so the screen can rise and lower without rubbing noise.

Thank you for response, I was hoping you would chime in.

My issue with the gap was the lack of uniformity. If it had been even an 1/8th of an inch straight across, I would have been OK with it, but it was snug as could be on the passenger side and progressively widened as it got toward the drivers side where it was 1/4" or more. It's a neat feature, exposing that storage behind the nav, but if the execution is poor, it ends up being a detractor rather than a plus, which I am sure you can appreciate.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

FIFY, and they are not even close. Makes ownership of these behemoths a complete head-scratcher

That is a low line rental, not even close to what is available to the public at a dealer. Likely even made to order to be extra cheap.

Regular Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban/Escalades etc. are a fantastic vehicle for those that can utilize their combination of truck capability combined with lots of passengers. Fantastic utility and flexibility, just like an Expedition, etc.

We have an older Yukon, it is still our "go to" vehicle when the whole family wants to go somewhere in one vehicle.

Last edited:
I would just have trouble paying for Range Rover money for a GM product. The Tahoe wouldn't handle as nice on road most likely, couldn't keep up off road and doesn't seem to have the personality of a Rover. Newer LRs are quite good reliability wise. My LR3 has been fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back