Remington 700 .243 caliber- What deer round?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting my new rifle tommorow and was wondering if anyone here has used a .243 winchester round for hunting deer, if so what round works the best?

.243's are pretty popular here in Kansas for deer. I've heard use at least a 100 grain round for deer when using a .243.

The 105 gr. Speer is about as heavy a bullet for the .243 as you can go. Inside of 175 yards almost any 85-100 factory soft nose bullet will do, assuming heart/lung bullet placement.

Virtually any load using a 100 grain bullet. We have used the basic Winchester and Remington loads from Wal-Mart for years. Just stay away from anything lighter than 95 grains as those are for targets/varmints. The .243 is capable of taking deer out to 300 yards or better, but know your capabilities and do not exceed them. My family has been very successful with the 6mm Remington and .243 Winchester over the years. Good luck with your hunt!

If your talking about factory loads than another vote Federal Fusion bullets. Reasonably priced and effective. Some of these modern bonded style bullets are amazing.

Deer are pretty easy to take with a 243 Win. Try a factory load with Remington core-lok, or Winchester Power Point or the standard Federal load. Just keep the weight up at 100 grains. The Winchester 95 grain Ballistic Silver Tip also works well, but will cost more than the others. Bullet weights below 95 grains are best used for varmints (an exception would be a load that uses Barnes copper bullets which can be used in the lower weights on Deer). You will have to try a few brands and then your rifle will let you know which brand it likes best as far as accuracy goes. Just remember to use good shot placement and you should not have any trouble. Plain Jane bullets, of the correct weight, work on Deer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back