redline si-1 fuel system cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good day
Do you all think that redline si-1 fuel system cleaner and a tank of premium gas can properly clean out dirty injectors?
thanks
smile.gif

No. Now, we don't get what you guys call "top tier gas". Until about 6 months ago, Premium was just a higher octane. It's only in the last 6 months they've started advertising the "cleaning" abilities of their premium fuel.

I love SI-1, and I use it on the second last tank prior to my yearly oil change. Having said that, I also keep an eye on my injectors and while the SI-1 helps clean up very mild deposits and keep a reasonable spray pattern, it does 2/10ths of bugger all for grungy injectors. I tried that by putting dirty injectors that I'd already tested for spray pattern in the car and running 3 tanks of SI-1 in a row. When they came out they were just as bad as when they went in.

It does seem to help keep intake valve deposits under control, but again it's a feeling. Every year I pop an injector out and have a poke around with a borescope, and since I started using SI-1 the valves seem to grow fewer deposits.

If you have dirty injectors, clean them properly (or pay someone to do it).

Yeah my injectors needs cleaning, im hoping that this reduces my problems until I get time to properly clean it.

Originally Posted By: Nissan101
Yeah my injectors needs cleaning, im hoping that this reduces my problems until I get time to properly clean it.

Just interested, how do you know that?

Get BG 44K. It's the strongest out there but you would have to order online as its impossible to find in stores. Not sure what the availability in the Caribbean is though.

Last edited:
I do not believe that anything that you pour into your tank can clean seriously clogged injectors. I had a Jeep where the oil was getting diluted (the dipstick level was going up) from injectors that would not close. In-tank remedies and even a "fuel system cleaning" from a local shop did not resolve the problem. I removed my injectors and sent them to Trav for actual analysis and cleaning. it worked wonders. I have two more sets to send him....

If you neglect the injectors and let them get THAT bad, that it starts causing problems with the engine, I honestly doubt any over the counter medicine (fuel system cleaner in this case) will have enough power to help.

I feel these cleaners in a bottle are more suited for regular preventive maintenance more then actual cleaning of very dirty and poorly functional injectors / valves, piston tops, etc.

I feel that any of these huge companies have enough budget and R&D cost that they can easily get two new engines to run side by side, one with a small maintenance dose of fuel system clean and one with plain ol fuel to see if there really is any real benefit to it or not.

As of right now, without actual proven data to back up their claim, we can only go off of reputation and their word that it works.

I run small maintenance doses in my cars, hoping that I'm not just burning money outta the exhaust pipe...

Rockauto has a wholesaler closeout on Bosch injectors that might work for you. $33 per each for the ones that would fit my B13 SR20. Just sayin....

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
Rockauto has a wholesaler closeout on Bosch injectors that might work for you. $33 per each for the ones that would fit my B13 SR20. Just sayin....

That would come after knowing for sure they actually are dirty and couldn't be cleaned.

Agree in principle but I changed mine at 150K because I couldn't see them actually working. Solved the problem I was having when bottled answers had failed. I got those cheap too. Were the originals dirty, spraying funny or otherwise failing? Didn't matter which and much potential pain time avoided was my rationale at the time. The value equation is different when the injectors are that cheap and there are only four of them. I sure wouldn't look at it the same way for a GM V8 for instance with those crazy parts prices times eight.

I ordered from an amazon retailer.
Expected some kind of hazmat label.
Nada.
So they may just ship wherever!

Originally Posted By: kschachn

That would come after knowing for sure they actually are dirty and couldn't be cleaned.

What's the average price for cleaning?

Originally Posted By: rsylvstr
Nada.

You mean new ones?

What's the average price for cleaning?

No clue what the average is, the one place I have gone to was $22 per injector plus $12 total for shipping.

Originally Posted By: Nissan101
Good day
Do you all think that redline si-1 fuel system cleaner and a tank of premium gas can properly clean out dirty injectors?
thanks
smile.gif

1. Use the full bottle Redline SI-1 with a tank of the usual octane that your car requires.
2. Then after that use 1 oz per tank of the Redline SI-1, to gradually clean the rest and maintain.

Nada.

You mean new ones?

Bb44k

Originally Posted By: deven
Get BG 44K. It's the strongest out there but you would have to order online as its impossible to find in stores. Not sure what the availability in the Caribbean is though.

I've been meaning to try BG. Is it really as good as everybody says?

I'm loving it in my truck.
Smoother acceleration, deceleration and power delivery, therefore even smoother shifting IMO.

I'm loving it in my truck.
Smoother acceleration, deceleration and power delivery, therefore even smoother shifting IMO.

sold! I will give it a whirl. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back