Redline 5w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
[I do think Redline's pipes are aging.]

Come on......

Let's hear it from RL....

"It is extremely difficult to evaluate oil or compare products based on oil analyses, with all the variables the inaccuracies of the test. people are using those tests as the end all be all test they aren't designed to be. If you have a test result you want to send me I can go over it. We definitely don't have rusty pipes, we actually use hoses and filter product before packaging."

Either the RL sample is effed up, or the Lab is wrong. This UOA is not accurate at all as to what RL contains. Confirmed by RL.

Quote:
[I do think Redline's pipes are aging.]

Come on......

Let's hear it from RL....

"It is extremely difficult to evaluate oil or compare products based on oil analyses, with all the variables the inaccuracies of the test. people are using those tests as the end all be all test they aren't designed to be. If you have a test result you want to send me I can go over it. We definitely don't have rusty pipes, we actually use hoses and filter product before packaging."

Tin from galvanized pipes not "rusty" pipes. Or tin from some other source, such as a brass valve, fitting or nipple, for example. I never used the word "rusty".

It is indeed possible that the lab goofed up, or the sample was tainted somehow. One can never rule this out.

Oh and "filtering" will not take metallic elements out of solution.

TD tested it three times with replicated results within 1-2%. No mistake was made. I also tested from the same (and different) samples with identical results.

I've met the owner of Redline who comes and speaks to our automotive program every year about engine oil and racing. He showed no surprise when I showed him the data. We talked at length, nice fellow.

Originally Posted By: johnbottilaw
TD tested it three times with replicated results within 1-2%. No mistake was made. I also tested from the same (and different) samples with identical results.

I've met the owner of Redline who comes and speaks to our automotive program every year about engine oil and racing. He showed no surprise when I showed him the data. We talked at length, nice fellow.

I believeTin is an AW additive in the new formula. Not a big deal.

Iron: 2 - anti-oxidant, anti-corrosion

Tin: 18 - AW/anti-oxidant

Alum: 4 - AW/anti-oxidant

Calcium: 2345 - AW, detergent, acid neutralizer

Mag: 17 - dispersant, acid neutralizer

Z: 1491 - part of zddp AW

Sil: 16 - antifoamant

NA: 31 - anti-rust

Boron: 21 - secondary anti-wear

Phos: 1317 part of zddp AW

Barium: 7 - anti-corrosion

Moly: 1419 - Friction modifier.

OK I was wrong.
grin2.gif
Thanks Mola.

I would say more like additive noise at the low leveals NO effect at all IMHO.
bruce

Originally Posted By: bruce381

I would say more like additive noise at the low leveals NO effect at all IMHO.
bruce

I agree....please convince me they add Al and Fe at those low levels as an additive. The probably come with the Mo or something.

The probably come with the Mo or something.

we have a winner LOL

they are just noise or a dirty test machine at the lab or ???

I also believe that they blend differently for street, race and even vis grades.

bruce

Last edited:
I have had phenolic anti-oxidants show relative high levels of Fe in concentrate form.

Some AW adds are aluminum-based.
As I stated in an earlier post, the Tin has to be Tin DTC or Tin deconoate, or Diallyldibutyltin.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I have had phenolic anti-oxidants show relative high levels of Fe in concentrate form.

Some AW adds are aluminum-based.
As I stated in an earlier post, the Tin has to be Tin DTC or Tin deconoate, or Diallyldibutyltin.

I understand that, but at the single digit PPM level? Fe is 2 ppm...Al 4 ppm....

OR other than from additives:

Iron: From pipeing anywhere from refinery/Blend plant

Tin: hard one tho I use in plant round gallon cans to melt or dissolve small amounts of various additives and the tim plate will come off the cans over time.

Alum: hose conections like kamlock fittings or dry breaks anywhere along the supply line

or why not call them if they say NOT additives then is Normal additive back ground stuff no big deal any way you look at it IMHO.

Just been rereading this VOA, linked from Mesastoura's RL UOA...

I had almost forgotten that for a grand total of 7 posts, Bitog had itself a bona fide Oil Professor!
thumbsup2.gif
German too!

But alas...
07.gif
Why oh why?!
33.gif

Saskatchewan is gone.
45.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back