Redline 5w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steve, that is the question that is still not resolved after 5 years of BITOG. (street oils that is)

LOL...saw that one coming. RL did VERY well in my car. What impressed me was the shear stability. Wear is low though in this engine on ANY oil so I really didn't put too much into the wear numbers.

Quote:

Mike,

That oil analysis is suspect. It appears that the sensitivity of
their equipment is set too high, all of the element levels are
excessively high, they are all off but not by the same percentage.
Most labs are not used to seeing significant levels of moly in the
oil and can mistake other spikes for it. The viscosity is a little
low.

Red Line Oil

For you guy's that have questions for Redline, I would recommend calling them. They are very open and honest about their product and really will answer any question you have for them. Nice crew over there.

Quote:

Quote:

It performs well but the LS2 is an oil consumer so I will probably have to jump a grade.

How much oil is it consuming? My LS1 uses approximately a quart every 5-6k. (so it's one of the good ones, since there are a lot of them out there using twice this much oil)

I put 24k very hard miles on my GTO, it never used any oil between changes. I used primarily GC in it and it ran beautifully.

""For you guy's that have questions for Redline, I would recommend calling them. They are very open and honest about their product and really will answer any question you have for them. Nice crew over there"""

yeah roger that call them instead of listening to internet ____.
bruce

Quote:

John, you insulted a guy who works in the lube formulating industry.

Yeah, but what kinda lube? We aren't talking about Pina Colada butt lotion here. Doesn't say much for the industry, lube formulating that is.

John, he works in the motor oil lubrication industry. He was and probably still is working with Imperial Oil on a grant as a professor. He changed his bio description to get more anonymity (sp?) since he first started posting. It seems he stopped posting which is what I was concerned would happen.

Well....I make enough typo's myself....in my native language.....I don't want to think about what I would do in another language.
Hopefuly people can look past spelling and wording errors to the content of the message.

I am trying Redline 5W-20 in my old '96 3.8L windstar.
I have been using it for just over a year.....
Maybe....I should have a Dyson analysis done.....sending 2 samples in..... 1 from the engine, and 1 from a bottle of new oil from a bottle from the same case.

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, but what kinda lube? We aren't talking about Pina Colada butt lotion here. Doesn't say much for the industry, lube formulating that is.

John,
Since you seem to like to be over the top, I will be also .... you are a dipstick.

I don't want to hear that RL does not work in daily drivers. I'm headed for 400k miles in a Civic that has never had the head off and is current with Calif smog. You tell me that and I may find that the car won't start tomorrow. I've been using the stuff for a long, long time. The compression is dead even and it runs just like new but it's not all the oil. I live in Southern California and we don't have weather here, none, ever. The car has never seen snow and very little rain and it's only seen temps below 40F a few times year. Other oils may do just as well but RL is a good daily driver oil.

Quote:

I don't want to hear that RL does not work in daily drivers. I'm headed for 400k miles in a Civic that has never had the head off and is current with Calif smog. You tell me that and I may find that the car won't start tomorrow. I've been using the stuff for a long, long time. The compression is dead even and it runs just like new but it's not all the oil. I live in Southern California and we don't have weather here, none, ever. The car has never seen snow and very little rain and it's only seen temps below 40F a few times year. Other oils may do just as well but RL is a good daily driver oil.

Lonnie, you are stirring the wrath of the internet pros by making that kind statement.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I don't deny it Honda Man, you are probably right, but at least I am not a cheapskate and I post my VOA's. I am probably a lot of other things too, but a tightwad is not one of them. At least I am a dipstick that brings something to the table, other than pure conjecture supported by incorrect verbiage, misspelled words, and silly, irrelevant, anecdotal evidence. If you knew what I knew about our friend in the "lube formulating industry" you would have called him on his ---- also, and rightfully so. Everybody has a different sense of humor and yeah, mine is probably over the top, sorry about that.

Quote:

I don't want to hear that RL does not work in daily drivers

Lonnie, the reason most of us have doubted RL is due to the poor UOA's overall on this board. They are no where near as good as most other oils. Does this mean RL is bad? No clue....

Amsoil will be releasing a white paper on gear oils and if their gear oils are any indication of how good their motor oils are, I'd be concerned.

Your car "might" have done just as well on another brand. Redline's biggest strength IMO is that it handles heat very well and is very shear stable for racing.
smile.gif
twocents.gif

Quote:

Quote:

I don't want to hear that RL does not work in daily drivers

Lonnie, the reason most of us have doubted RL is due to the poor UOA's overall on this board. They are no where near as good as most other oils. Does this mean RL is bad? No clue....

Amsoil will be releasing a white paper on gear oils and if their gear oils are any indication of how good their motor oils are, I'd be concerned.

Your car "might" have done just as well on another brand. Redline's biggest strength IMO is that it handles heat very well and is very shear stable for racing.
smile.gif
twocents.gif

my 02 in general unless recommended by the mfg. most syns are overkill at 5,000 mile oil changes especially with the last few oil designations.

Quote:

Lonnie,
How many miles have you driven with RL on your civic. I also have a civic and just started using RL. Good to hear that civics like RL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back