Redline 10w30, 2004 Honda S2000, 4000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the 2004 S2000 with the North American 2.2L engine that revs to 8400rpm and produces about 250hp according to dyno results, sump capacity 6 quarts, OEM Honda oil filter that's designed only for this Honda model with high flow capacity.

Dumped the break in oil at 2000 miles, then used this oil for the next 4,000 miles. The car was driven hard, with "normal" shifts around 3-4K rpm and many trips to redline and other high revving manouvers.
grin.gif
A mix of city and hwy, with hwy speeds usually around 70-80mph at 4500rpm with some trips to 100-120.
wink.gif

Added 1/2 quart in the first 1400 miles of the interval, haven't added any since then.

Had construction on my street for most of this interval, tons of dust and dirt which might explain the elevated silicon. Otherwise I think Redline did a good job considering the high revving, high stress environment this engine was put through and because the engine is still breaking in. I like how the oil stayed in grade (Redline lists at 10.7 cSt). I changed the oil "early" because it was the first oil change and I also wanted to have fresh oil in the engine before I store the car for the winter.
frown.gif

Comments?

• Iron (Fe) 9.8
    Chromium (Cr) 0.5
    Nickel (Ni) 0.1
    Titanium (Ti) 0.1
    Silver (Ag) 0.5
    Aluminum (Al) 7.2
    Lead (Pb) 3.3
    Copper (Cu) 27
    Tin (Sn) 0.2
    Silicon (Si) 24
    Sodium (Na) 17
    Potassium (K) 0.0
    Boron (B) 17
    Barium (Ba) 1.6
    Molybdenum (Mo) 586
    Magnesium (Mg) 9.7
    Calcium (Ca) 2760
    Phosphorus (P) 1143
    Zinc (Zn) 1275
    Sulfur (S) 4757
    Manganese (Mn) 2.2
    Vanadium (V) 0.6
    Oxid(PA) 118
    Nitr(PA) 47
    Sulf(PA) 288
    TBN 6.21
    Kv@100°C 10.6

[ November 26, 2004, 09:12 AM: Message edited by: Quick_lude ]

Wow, this might be the best result I've ever seen for Red Line Oil in a Honda engine ... and a new one still breaking in!
gr_eek2.gif

I think you'd have great luck with Schaeffer 10W-30 as well ... but with results like this, I probably wouldn't change a thing.
smile.gif

--- Bror Jace

I wouldn't mind using Schaeffers but the hassle and cost of getting it to Canada is too much.. can't be bothered. I can get Redline in my neighbourhood Canadian Tire for about $10/quart Cnd.

If you do want to try out Schaeffer Oil, I've got 18 quarts of the 5w30 Supreme 7000 blend I'd be willing to sell you. And it's not really that much of a hassle buying it up here, since you can get it from a distributor in Saskatchewan, so it doesn't need to cross the border.

This report definitely looks good though! Especially considering how new the engine is.

Very good report and showing of RL. I'm starting to get suspicious of these Wearcheck Labs reports....awefully low numbers.
confused.gif
grin.gif

This is a great report though. I'd continue to use RL or try a lower cost alternative to compare.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Very good report and showing of RL. I'm starting to get suspicious of these Wearcheck Labs reports....awefully low numbers.
confused.gif
grin.gif

I didn't see such low wear numbers on my vehicles when I first began using Wearcheck and I was using other oils other than my current mainstay of GC.

Amazing how well Redline shows in a well maintained engine that is still breaking in. Must be the Canadian formula, eh Buster ??????
lol.gif
cheers.gif

quote:

Amazing how well Redline shows in a well maintained engine that is still breaking in. Must be the Canadian formula, eh Buster ??????

So I guess 90% of Redline analysis are in engines that are poorly maintained? C'mon give me a break.
rolleyes.gif
It's a GREAT report, no doubt.
cheers.gif
If I saw this more often, I'd be all over RL.
cheers.gif

What about this Honda S2000 Report with Mobil 1?

quote:

Just got my UOA back. Here are the results:

Copper 4
iron 3
Chromium 0
Lead 0
Aluminum 3
Silicon 8
Moly 78
Sodium 7
Potassium 3
Magnesium 25
Tin 0
Silver 0
Zinc 986
Boron 519
Water Negative
Fuel Negative
glycol negative
Oxidation 170
Nitration 86
Sulfer 115

The oil (M1) had 4,000 miles on it. I live in the city and autocross, so that's 4000 miles of traffic, short trips and flogging on the autoX course. Oh, and it also includes months of sitting this winter. Filter was Honda PCX. 1/2 qt of make-up oil.

I'm no expert, but I think these numbers look pretty good.

[ November 26, 2004, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

Guy doctored the oil with Luboron. What is the total engine miles ?

I can't wait for that Midwest company to start marketing their oils as they will blow away Redline and all other comers quality wise.

quote:

If I saw this more often, I'd be all over RL.

You need to come to work here then, HE HE......

great numbers, finally get to see some low lead numbers in a Honda with Redline. might dispell some of those rumours out there about RL and Honda bearings.

I wouldnt worry about silicon, firstly the engine is still very new and leaching from gaskets and sealers, plus Redline uses about 14ppms of silicon or more as an anti-foam additive. I'd say very little of your silicon numbers are from dirt.

BTW my sulfation, oxidation and nitration numbers are always skewed in my UOA's when redline is used, my analysis company says it has to do with their equipment being thrown off by the redline ester oil, something about their infrareds being improperly calibrated. I think if you give them a virgin sample at the time of UOA they can calibrate their equipment or something like that. Nonetheless I've seen skewed numbers many times in my UOA's using Redline oil and Redline Oil mixed brews, I never worry about those numbers because I dont need to do long drain intervals. Im more concerned with wear numbers.

quote:

Originally posted by Quick_lude:
Pat, any idea on how to read those Oxi, Nitr and Sulf values?
dunno.gif
My diesel analysis did not show such high numbers.. they were all in 50's and 60s.

Those are Wearcheck numbers? I don't know why, but their numbers are always 2-3 times higher than they should be for those numbers.

I'm assuming that PA stands for percent allowed, which is odd because how can you then have a value of over 100%? (unless the esters in Redline just completely mess up their instruments)

I simply ignore those values in my Wearcheck reports now.

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:

I can't wait for that Midwest company to start marketing their oils as they will blow away Redline and all other comers quality wise.

I can't wait to see how this new oil will do in the price vs performance battle .

I am certainly no expert but I can vision this new oil will have a very large row to hoe to blow away all comers when used in a variety of engines in many conditions vs some outstanding 4-5 buck a quart oils already on the market in what always boils down to price vs performance of oils used in internal combustion engines ran on gasoline .

It appears we will soon see pricing of this new oil and later the actual performance .

Tik Tok .

I have a question about this well maintained 6 quart sump engine .

Just what does a guy do to maintain an engine well from 2-6k miles when they are new ? What am I missing ?

quote:

I am certainly no expert but I can vision this new oil will have a very large row to hoe to blow away all comers when used in a variety of engines in many conditions vs some outstanding 4-5 buck a quart oils already on the market in what always boils down to price vs performance of oils used in internal combustion engines ran on gasoline .

With Mobil 1, Motorcraft and Chevron Supreme just to name a few, so easily available, I think it will be hard for anyone to top those oils in terms of price vs performance. I mean what more do you want or need? We've seen people run 10k + miles on all of these oils and achieve single digit engine wear. I can't envision using something better at the moment. Is this new company targeting the racing crowd too? And Terry while you may be right about how great Redline is, and you may see all these spectacular UOA's with RL, we here on BITOG have NOT seen it. The bulk of RL UOAs have been so so. Why do you think we now have so many people mixing Redline with Mobil 1? BC their are not satisfied with it's performance. Bror Jace got better wear from Schaeffer's then Redline.

Curtis, You are right on that the road will be a tough one to hoe. Providing high quality, good service, and reasonable prices will be tough. I for one will be glad when full disclosure can be made on these products. Honestly I think nearly everyone who lurks or posts here will want to try them. Good old American grit may be what pulls this company through in marketing a line of lubes.
Buster;
The acceptance of the products should be to anyone who cares enough to study lubes and or analyze to optimize the operation of their machines.

Quality wise I can say NO one is selling OTC products to compete, including the boutique oils.

On the Honda; the point was that chemsitry of RL will show as well or better than any other in a tight, clean, well running engine. i.e, no FOD entry mostly. Even if the guy drives it like he stole it !

What would both you fella's pay for optimized lubrication from a company you trust and love to do business with ????

Id probably pay up to $15 per qt if it was customized for me......

I know Terry It was a rhetorical Question.

Just had to chime in
grin.gif

Since I have no technical input I can at least be a smartass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back