Redline 0w-40 VOA

Here is a VOA from a fresh sample of Redline 0w-40 I sent into BlackStone for oil analysis.

Redline 0w40 VOA BITOG.jpg

The price this oil costs, it either has POE, PAO, of some serious Esters or Group V Base Oils in it.
PAO and POE. Dave G. told me they use up to 40% in some grades. I don't go by SDS. While oxidation values per VOA's don't give you ester % necessarily, they do IMO correlate with an ester component. The only oil that shows an oxidation reading near that of Red Line is Valvoline Premium Restore, which has a virgin oxidation reading of 110 (Red Line is 90 to as much as 129). Valvoline also states clearly that this oil is 50% POE, so draw your own conclusions.

I also suspect that the higher POE is why Red Line shows higher Pb and other wear metals in some engines due to different metallurgy. Shows up as scavenging and possible slight corrosion.

Last edited:
PAO and POE. Dave G. told me they use up to 40% in some grades. I don't go by SDS. While oxidation values per VOA's don't give you ester % necessarily, they do IMO correlate with an ester component. The only oil that shows an oxidation reading near that of Red Line is Valvoline Premium Restore, which has a virgin oxidation reading of 110 (Red Line is 90 to as much as 129). Valvoline also states clearly that this oil is 50% POE, so draw your own conclusions.

I also suspect that the higher POE is why Red Line shows higher Pb and other wear metals in some engines due to different metallurgy. Shows up as scavenging and possible slight corrosion.

I can see why you dont go by SDS, because it is kind of tricky to read, at least for me. Every conversation I have had with Dave at Redline has been awesome. Maybe the higher wear numbers via UOA's could be from Redline cleaning stuff out. I did notice there 0W-40 had a NOACK reading of like 9, while there 5W-30 had a NOACK reading of 6. Then again if your oil temps do not get above 200 to 210 degrees then maybe the NOACK number is not an issue.

I can see why you dont go by SDS, because it is kind of tricky to read, at least for me. Every conversation I have had with Dave at Redline has been awesome. Maybe the higher wear numbers via UOA's could be from Redline cleaning stuff out. I did notice there 0W-40 had a NOACK reading of like 9, while there 5W-30 had a NOACK reading of 6. Then again if your oil temps do not get above 200 to 210 degrees then maybe the NOACK number is not an issue.
I'm going with what Dave told me as I don't think he would be lying about it and also the correlation between virgin oxidation reading and esters. While not exact, I think there is something to it.

It could very well be that Red Line does some cleaning and there could also be some corrosive type wear, which I don't think is a big deal. The SA levels are too high for my liking but for many engines these oils are ideal.

I'm going with what Dave told me as I don't think he would be lying about it and also the correlation between virgin oxidation reading and esters. While not exact, I think there is something to it.

It could very well be that Red Line does some cleaning and there could also be some corrosive type wear, which I don't think is a big deal. The SA levels are too high for my liking but for many engines these oils are ideal.

I am going with Dave here, just like you are.

This is what Redline post

Attachments

• 35BDA0AD-8F39-474A-B309-CEAC78B059E0.jpeg
    35BDA0AD-8F39-474A-B309-CEAC78B059E0.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 107
Back