"Recommended viscosity etc" and warranties

Status
Not open for further replies.
How prevalent are warranty denials for using non recommended oils? For instance, there is a current thread going on, see below, where a Prius owner is being offered a maintenance program by the dealership where conventional, non-0w20, because 0w20 has to be a blend or synthetic, changed out every 5,000 miles.

If this is the case, and it's going on at many dealerships regardless of make, I can't see a warranty denial for this reason, especially at the dealership in that thread.

Sump dry? Yes. OCI way to long? Only if running dangerously low, again. But "wrong viscosity?"

What are your thoughts?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4061504/1

Didn't see the original post until now but all new Toyotas come with Toyota Care. Free maintenance for the first 25k miles. Oil changes are every 10,000 miles. Don't why if the OP was wrong about about the OCI in the other thread or his dealer does it different than most.

I think only some BITOG people worry so much about viscosity.

How many times does a dealer send an oil sample out for testing after an engine failure ?

I've always wondered about that. I doubt many dealers even know what a UOA is.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
How many times does a dealer send an oil sample out for testing after an engine failure ?

I've always wondered about that. I doubt many dealers even know what what a UOA is.

Yes! This too.

Having worked in the Ford Product Development center with engineers ...unless you do something obvious and stupid the company must prove what you did caused the problem to deny the warranty contract. Forgetting to put oil in and seizing the engine would not be covered. But dropping a valve could not be blamed on using 10-30 instead of 5-20 and there's not a mechanic on the planet that could tell you used the "Wrong oil" by squishing it in his fingers. All though im sure some that think they can.

A good mechanic can SEE an engine/drivetrain that's been abused ...that's when you're going to see warranty denials.

Originally Posted By: 5170
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

I've always wondered about that. I doubt many dealers even know what what a UOA is.

Yes! This too.

Plus what if the oil thins or thickens out of grade? In that case there's no way to show non recommended vis was used.

Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
Having worked in the Ford Product Development center with engineers ...unless you do something obvious and stupid the company must prove what you did caused the problem to deny the warranty contract. Forgetting to put oil in and seizing the engine would not be covered. But dropping a valve could not be blamed on using 10-30 instead of 5-20 and there's not a mechanic on the planet that could tell you used the "Wrong oil" by squishing it in his fingers. All though im sure some that think they can.

A good mechanic can SEE an engine/drivetrain that's been abused ...that's when you're going to see warranty denials.

I would agree. I have owned vehicles since my first, a 1966 Chevy C10 pickup. I have never had anyone at a dealership even ask what brand of oil I was using or viscosity. From my personal vehicles right on up thru heavy commercial trucks. Unless one shoots off their mouth about it, I doubt anyone would even ask. Abuse is obvious.

most car company now advise these ways because most often the dealer ( say for sake of a name ford, sell you or rent you a car , he or she knows the average time you ll keep it is low enough he ll get it back and will have to resell it ,since they dont want issue ,they go on the overkill side of safety this way everybody is happy

OP in thread is in Texas. I see no problem letting a dealer (that would provide the warranty work) change with a conventional 5w20 every 5k. Same viscosity when hot as manufacturer recommends, and 5w in Texas is likely the only thing "no sweat" in the whole deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back