Recommend Trans fluid that meets Honda ATF-Z1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
Rebuild a few Aisin Warner and even domestic transmissions, do the same with honda and then you can talk to me about how they rank on the food chain. There are fewer and fewer 300K stories when talking about late model honda transmissions.

Honda does not know how to build transmissions. Period. Some have lasted, but they all pail in comparison to companies like Aisin Warner. As I stated previously, honda has two things down, building low quality light duty transmissions and having one of the worst ATF's on the planet. For this reason I will never buy another honda product again. They need to wise up and buy from a proven transmission builder line AW!

you can rebuild mine when it reaches 1/2 million miles. hehehe.

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
Rebuild a few Aisin Warner and even domestic transmissions, do the same with honda and then you can talk to me about how they rank on the food chain. There are fewer and fewer 300K stories when talking about late model honda transmissions.

Honda does not know how to build transmissions. Period. Some have lasted, but they all pail in comparison to companies like Aisin Warner. As I stated previously, honda has two things down, building low quality light duty transmissions and having one of the worst ATF's on the planet. For this reason I will never buy another honda product again. They need to wise up and buy from a proven transmission builder line AW!

I'm seeing another NEVER comment.

I'm curious. Would the idea that there are fewer 300k stories with late model Hondas is that they are, well - late models? Or can it be that Honda ATs aren't failing at the same rate as some previous to this era you're mentioning?

I'm realizing you are a mechanic and probably know more than I do about mechanical things, but I don't think there are many experts on these forums other than people's experiences. I'm sure there are quite a few Honda owners here that have had good and bad experiences.

As I have stated in my opinion honda transmissions (autos) are very weak and most are poorly designed. Honda has been in the auto trans game for alot less time than the more established companies like AW and the like so that plays a role.

Never may be too strong of a word, how about unlikely!
grin2.gif
Toyota has treated me very well as has Chevy. We all have our brand preference's here. When dealing with cars its alot like the rest of life, you take the good with the bad. If the bad starts to outweigh the good something has to change.

I have an 01 Acura CLS with 181k on the clock. The transmission was installed in 05 under the recall at 65k.

The car runs great and I maintain it to keep it that way so am about to replace the external filter & remove as much of the fluid as I can.

I bought 11 quarts of Amsoil and then was told Z1 ONLY by several people so am concerned it may harm the transmission. Has anyone had their transmission permanently damaged by Amsoil?

Originally Posted By: e30cabrio

I bought 11 quarts of Amsoil and then was told Z1 ONLY by several people so am concerned it may harm the transmission. Has anyone had their transmission permanently damaged by Amsoil?

Nope. I changed out our new 2006 Odyssey nearly we we got it. Been on it for ~70K or so now. And that's the older Amsoil ATF formula. This spring I'm going to flush with the new ATF formula (slightly higher viscosity).

I bought the Universal, got it last week directly from the Amsoil website so I assume it is the latest.

These are glass transmissions so I am paranoid.

Thanks.

As you just saw, there are a number of people on BITOG successfully running Amsoil in Honda ATs long term. FWIW, I have never heard of a Honda trans being ruined by any other brand of oil (that doesn't mean it hasn't happened) but I have heard of many that died on Z1.

Within some limits, several high quality syn ATFs are fine in a Honda. Thing is, the Honda transmissions are not fully hydraulic like the average AT. They use sliding gears actuated by hydraulic servos with a torque converter instead of a clutch (oversimplified, perhaps). In essence they are a hybrid of a manual and an automatic, needing the lubricant qualities of both types. The Honda ATF has more zinc & sulfur anti-wear additives than the average ATF, for example. Other stuff too. Z1 is odd stuff. It's mostly an issue when the trans fails under warranty because by many reports (unverified usually but common enough), Honda is quick to blame the wrong lube and deny a claim. With 181K, you are obviously not in that category.

Last edited:
I am long outside any warranty, even the extended.

I am actually replacing the "healthy" engine with a 53k unit from an 04 Odyssey instead of doing the 210k/14 year extensive maintainence and contemplated buying the transmission that was attached to it but decided if the transmission fails it is the same price to have it rebuilt so am just doing what I have done for years, replacing the external filter & doing a 3x3 flush.

I have used Z1 exclusively but read Amsoil Uni was very good, when I posted on Acurazine I was told Z1 so just wanted to confirm where Oil is the focus, I'd rather eat the $ I paid for the Amsoil & get Z1 if that is what is indicated.

I am still mulling but the point that many have failed on Z1 is spot on.

Thanks.

Pablo.. Have you done any UOA recently of your ATF??

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: e30cabrio

Nope. I changed out our new 2006 Odyssey nearly we we got it. Been on it for ~70K or so now. And that's the older Amsoil ATF formula. This spring I'm going to flush with the new ATF formula (slightly higher viscosity).

I am late getting into this thread, but we have a '03 Acura TL Type S that had the 2nd gear oil squirter "fix" done at about 60,000km. If you asked me at 110,000 KM, I'd have sweared the thing was going to last forever on Honda ATF-Z1 double flushed regularly at 48,000km intervals. Asking the local Honda cognescenti about what fluid is best, I stuck with Honda ATF-Z1.

At 125,000 km, it started bucking at the dealer replaced it under warranty with the newer five speed and ECU change.

Nothing but Amsoil ATF has gone in the new transmission. The one thing that I have found critical on these is to keep the fluid BELOW the top fill line on the dipstick. At or above, and we start getting some harsh shifts. So be careful not to overfill! I aim for the middle of the range.

Running Maxlife in my Integra since 180k miles and I'm currently at 227k miles, so far the only "complain" is that it has a minor slip when going from P to a drive or reverse gear. Other than that it is perfectly fine. It may be due to age though, at 227k you can't really expect it to shift like new can you?

Any harm in just draining the Honda ATF-Z1 in my Ridgeline and add my new ATF either Maxlife or Redline D4.

experiences from my TSX 5AT with MaxLife is that it take 3 drain and fill to reach satisfactory. i drain and fillwith MaxLife because i can't find easy way to disconnect atf coolant hose. the first 2 drain and fill were about 2 days apart, and 3rd drain and fill was 4 weeks later, battery was disconnected overnight after each drain and fill. the first 2 drain/fill quickly tighten the response of AT and all aspect are great.... only after 2 week i feel the car starts to get too stiff/harash during shifting, the response on AT is still good. so at 4th week period did another drain and fill; and the stiff shifting and harshness was reduced. it's about 1 year now (~8000km) now and i am still happy with the transmission. will do another drain and fill this summer. for expensive fluid, i would do coolant line flush. i have redline D4 and asmoil atf in stash, but i will use them when i am able to do coolant line flush.

Speaking of Honda, I have a chance to buy my cousin's nearly mint 1996 Honda Accord. This baby's loaded and has the V6, sunroof, leather, power seats, etc. The car has 55,000 original miles and is sweet. The body is ABSOLUTELY free of rust (including behind the rear wheel wells where they were notorious for rusting). After a nasty illness, he's decided that he shouldn't drive anymore and asked me if I was interested in the car. I found this car for him 5 years ago...one owner older lady...the car had 39,000 miles at the time. I've seen to basic maintenance and did a 3 drain and fill with Z1, flushed the radiator, changed out the air filter and PCV, replaced the plugs, etc. before I delivered it to him. The car has pretty much just had dino oil changes (twice a year with his few miles) since. If I decide to buy it I will probably change out the trans fluid to Amsoil. The Z1 is OK but shifting is lazy when very cold outside. Once warmed up it shifts great. The car would also need a new set of tires and possibly brakes (even has 4 wheel discs with anti-lock). So what do you think? I don't really NEED another car but am considering it.

I usually just drain and fill once every 15K miles with ATF-Z1 and add a bottle of Lubeguard Red... Seems to run great. 118K miles on an 03 Acura MDX

The question is, any harm in just draining the Honda ATF-Z1 once and adding maxlife or redline? They will always be leftover Z1.

Last edited:
No harm because both are compatible with Honda's fluid.

Some guys do a drain and fill three times within a few days and I think that is over kill. If you have not changed your fluid in the last 30K miles you may want to do this but like I said it is over kill.

I would maybe just drain and fill every oil change for 3 times and then go to a regular 15K drain and fill once...

Originally Posted By: oilmaven
Speaking of Honda, I have a chance to buy my cousin's nearly mint 1996 Honda Accord. This baby's loaded and has the V6, sunroof, leather, power seats, etc. The car has 55,000 original miles and is sweet. The body is ABSOLUTELY free of rust (including behind the rear wheel wells where they were notorious for rusting). After a nasty illness, he's decided that he shouldn't drive anymore and asked me if I was interested in the car. I found this car for him 5 years ago...one owner older lady...the car had 39,000 miles at the time. I've seen to basic maintenance and did a 3 drain and fill with Z1, flushed the radiator, changed out the air filter and PCV, replaced the plugs, etc. before I delivered it to him. The car has pretty much just had dino oil changes (twice a year with his few miles) since. If I decide to buy it I will probably change out the trans fluid to Amsoil. The Z1 is OK but shifting is lazy when very cold outside. Once warmed up it shifts great. The car would also need a new set of tires and possibly brakes (even has 4 wheel discs with anti-lock). So what do you think? I don't really NEED another car but am considering it.

Good used cars which you know it's history are rare.
You might be sorry if you don't pass on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back