Recommend Trans fluid that meets Honda ATF-Z1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah,man. Use only Honda ATF in Hondas. Really why would you use anything other than the OEM spec ATF?

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Yeah,man. Use only Honda ATF in Hondas. Really why would you use anything other than the OEM spec ATF?

Becuase maybe you have a brain in your head and when a corporation tells you to only use their product you take it with a very large grain of salt.

That is why this forum and site exist.

If not just look at your manual.

Z-1 is an extemely mediocre product.

DeeAgeaux - Sure, BUT... it's just that we have to really do our homework and make sure that our aftermarket alternatives are in fact as good or better.

Because a lot of people have used the OEM ATF and the tranny still puked out on them. I will take my chances on a synthetic fluid and deal with the consequences if they happen. I personally know of a person who has used Royal Purple ATF in his 2001 TL and he has over 200K on the ORIGINAL tranny with no problem. Try finding someone on that year TL with an original tranny with that many miles. You won't get far.

No,man. I'm smart enough to know I'm no ATF expert......and neither are you. So,I'll just run the oem ATF.

Just an update: AT started shifting smooth again after the second drain and fill with Z1. It has very little of the MaxLife left by now, but I will do a third one in a few thousand miles. For now I am tired of these fluid exchanges.

Guessing of the additive package based on published VOAs of the Z1 it has higher boron content than other ATFs (~300ppm), and it uses a Zinc compound that does not have phosphorous in it.

I have pretty much surrendered to the idea of sticking with Z1 and refreshing it every 15K miles.

No,man. I'm smart enough to know I'm no ATF expert......and neither are you. So,I'll just run the oem ATF.

The "experts" have led to many dead Accord transmissions.

This is not Germany, what is the love affair with "experts."

We are Americans, we have been kicked out of every decent country in the world.

We experiment,try new things, constantly trying to do better.

Invent a better mouse trap.

Atleast Honda is consistent with bad transmissions and terrible ATF Z1 to go along with them. I for one will NEVER buy another Honda/Acura automatic. Even the ones that dont have the documented "issues" ie acura TL, they are still very low on the auto food chain. They need to take some cues from some of the other auto makers who have been building automatics for much longer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
Atleast Honda is consistent with bad transmissions and terrible ATF Z1 to go along with them. I for one will NEVER buy another Honda/Acura automatic. Even the ones that dont have the documented "issues" ie acura TL, they are still very low on the auto food chain. They need to take some cues from some of the other auto makers who have been building automatics for much longer.

So you have a strong preference for sludged engines,unintended acceleration to 120 mph and/or rusted body frames over weak transmissions with [censored] ATF? j/k
18.gif
crackmeup2.gif

lol.gif
Sludged engines are the only way to go! Nothing like a little unintended acceleration to spice up my commute to work. LOL.

Originally Posted By: DeeAgeaux
So you have a strong preference for sludged engines,unintended acceleration to 120 mph and/or rusted body frames over weak transmissions with [censored] ATF? j/k
18.gif
crackmeup2.gif

People really scare me. How much I.Q. does it take during "unintended acceleration" to press on the brake pedal HARD and hold it down while simultaneously placing the tranny into neutral?

However, these same whiney butt geniuses will brag nonstop about their ability to text and check their e-mail messages while supposedly "driving."

Slightly OT, I know, but bringing it back on topic, I have to agree with AZFireGuy79; no more Hondas for me. Not until they prove they are using someone else's well established tranny, not one they "invented."

And they vehemently deny they are worried about Hyundai. Right.

Well,you could get a Toyota with a sticking gas pedal or a Toyota truck with a rusting frame. Pay your money and take your choice.

Oh don't you worry I will stick with Toyota. An upcoming recall and a can of spray paint with fix any of my possible future issues, while you honda loyalists will be stuck with a much more expensive problem.

I wouldn't call 343K miles on my auto honda "low on the food chain". my wifes chevy that she had when we got married didn't even have to be driven to have a CEL. and my parents' pontiac has had more problems in short/low use life than my honda. all brands will have some bad years/lemons and american cars have gotten a lot better in recent years. if i were to buy a car today, it would be a honda, toyota, or ford. IMO those are the best brands out there....from what i have owned, and what friends/family have owned.

Rebuild a few Aisin Warner and even domestic transmissions, do the same with honda and then you can talk to me about how they rank on the food chain. There are fewer and fewer 300K stories when talking about late model honda transmissions.

Honda does not know how to build transmissions. Period. Some have lasted, but they all pail in comparison to companies like Aisin Warner. As I stated previously, honda has two things down, building low quality light duty transmissions and having one of the worst ATF's on the planet. For this reason I will never buy another honda product again. They need to wise up and buy from a proven transmission builder line AW!

Last edited:
Lol. Better go get under that Tacoma and spray some Rustoleum on those frame rails. You could drill a hole in the Firewall and hook up some string for safe throttle operation. I wonder why Toyota didn't think of that?

lol.gif
I would but to my knowledge it only affects the earlier tundras. I will make sure to wave at you as i drive past the AAMCO parking lot,all while holding my string.

Last edited:
Lol. So far,so good at 102k Bass Boat towing miles. Hoping to get 150k out of it and replace it with a diesel CRV.

Originally Posted By: 94MaxGXE
When the time comes for my 07 Honda, I think i will try Valvoline MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF.

Specs
Recommended for use where the following fluids are specified:
Ford MERCON®, MERCON® V, MERCON® SP and LV
GM DEXRON, DEXRON II, III and VI
Toyota and Lexus Type T, T-III, T-IV and WS
Allison TES 295 and 389
Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J and Matic-K
Honda and Acura ATF Z-1 (except CVT)
Mercedes NAG-1
Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III
Kia SP-II and SP-III

Valvoline Maxlife is what I use. MytiVac a few quarts at regular intervals and fill it up with Valvoline Maxlife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back