Rebuilding air impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am thinking of rebuilding my IR 231 impact after the seeming lack of power in my wheel bearing job. all the vid i have watched un the tube the impacts seems to have plenty of power to do the job i have had it for probably 20 years. its looks pretty easy to do.

So those that have rebuilt them, did you not a big increase in power after the rebuild?

Way back when, I rebuilt a couple of impact wrenches and an air hoist. I had a rebuild kit for the hoist (new vanes, seals, springs) and one impact wrenches, and for these everything worked out phenomenally. Operated like new. I don't know how long they lasted, but I know that it was tough to get anyone who used the air tools to properly take care of them. Not much you can do for the springs, I don't think, but the vanes will wear out if not lubricated.

Pulling the second dead wrench apart and attempting to refurbish it without any new parts was a waste of time. There was some gunk built up, but upon cleaning, lubing and reinstalling everything, it had maybe just enough power to rotate the bare drive! For actual work, it was worthless.

I was 19 then and did not have instructions for rebuilding. It took me a couple of shifts, IIRC.

I rebuilt my old 231, last winter. I couldn't believe the difference afterwards. It was like night & day. Their are a couple of video's on youtube. I'm going to rebuild my current IR Thunder Gun, when I get a chance.

I redid mine quite a few times and it made a big difference. The thing is as old as dirt (probably around 1986 or so) but she runs like a top, the 231 has a lot more power than people give it credit for, a little top heavy but tough as nails (at least the USA made one).

The first time IIRC I only did the seals and vanes also, in those days the trucks carried kits.
The last time the anvil was a little beat so it got all new stuff. I don't know if the ebay kits are Chinese or not but I am guessing they are as the new 231 is Chinese.

The kit I got was still USA made but that was a long time ago.

got my kit and did it today. i just got the basic kit with vanes and o rings. changed them all out. hard to tell if there is any improvement though. i compared the new vanes with the old and the old vanes did not look worn at all. old o rings were still pliable.

i wish i could find somewhere local to test it and see how much juice it puts out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back