Rebuild or replace?

I have a mid 80’s mcClane lawn edger that I use regularly. Yes, it’s old, I know, but it works. It’s 2hp B&S flathead converted to electronic ignition. It’s tired. Question is, would it be worth a rebuild, or replace with this (if it would fit)?

One other option is to replace it with a unknown used trim rite one with a 3.5 B&S.

I'm using a similar aged (maybe mid 90's) edger with a 3.5HP briggs. What's wrong with yours? Hard to start? For me anyway it'd be hard to put enough hours on an edger to actually wear an engine out.

It just bogs down really bad. Not a carb issue, just like it’s tired. I mean, it is 30-something years old, and when I bought it 8 years ago it wasn’t the best maintained. But for $25 and a couple new blades it’s worked up until now

I’d go with the predator. I repowered a pressure washer with one, used to be a flathead briggs, and it has been better in every way.

I agree with @The_Eric that it is always great to rebuild, but this may not be worth it. This is especially true if you don't really need a walk behind edger.

I replaced my late 70s Little Wonder (B&S 3 HP that still worked well) with a Ryobi battery stick edger and have no regrets. It hangs in the wall instead of taking up floor space, and the 4 Ah battery lasts longer than I will ever need for the driveway, sidewalks, patio, and fire pit area.

Do the swap if time is a consideration. A rebuild will take a bit of time and likely a few snags along the way. Provided the valve guides are not bad then you are looking at new rings, lap the valves, hone the cylinder wall, carb kit, head gasket, decarbon the head and check the valve lash. If any machine work is needed then I would hiball the rebuild as it will become cost prohibitive.

A refit is probably what I'll do. Depends on the other used 3.5HP one I saw for $40. I like fixing uses stuff to use, and that might be a better option. I gotta take a look at it.

I have a mid 80’s mcClane lawn edger that I use regularly. Yes, it’s old, I know, but it works. It’s 2hp B&S flathead converted to electronic ignition. It’s tired. Question is, would it be worth a rebuild, or replace with this (if it would fit)?

One other option is to replace it with a unknown used trim rite one with a 3.5 B&S.

if you can do the work yourself I would rebuild. I like little projects like this. Keeps me busy and they are fun.

just my $0.02

I'd repower with the Predator 3hp.

That thing should run like a scalded dog with that engine. That 2hp rating on the B&S probably isn't even an honest 2hp. Back in the 80's engine manufacturers were allowed to get away with shenanagins on their power ratings like rating at max RPMs vs max governed RPMs. That 3hp is probably close to 2x what that edger had when new.

Well, I’ve got two B&S engines in mind so far, in my other post I was trying to find the year of manufacturing. Both are 3.5hp, ones a 92 model I/c engine, the other, a standard aluminum bore. I look at it tonight to get more info on it.

It all depends on the dimensions of the machine and what your preferences are. The old Briggs are fun to tinker with and you could definitely find a used 3.5hp in good shape for pretty cheap on C-List or marketplace. The Predator will be more powerful and efficient, but on machines that small sometimes they seem to be designed around a certain engine, and adapting a modern one to fit can be a chore.

I ended up finding a 3.5 hp with a decent tank and carb with all the linkage. of course, the throttle cable has now broken, and checks in the mail on that one. Swap will be running after I get the cable

Back