Reasons you Prefer 10W30 Synthetic Oil ?

Yeah I have no issues with the grade either, I use it when it's something on sale and the expected starting conditions will allow. But pour point is not a reliable indicator of cold weather performance, that's why the winter ratings were developed. It's not really being "smarter" when using a different winter rating since the oil is still a 30-grade at temperature.

I was mostly responding to your praise of the oil being a synthetic and having superior cold weather performance but that performance is represented by the winter rating regardless of the brand or base stock composition.

Of course I praised it bieng a synthetic, again the post "Reasons you prefer 10W- 30 Synthetic oil" Please don't tell my story that's for me to do, your post suggest all brands of oil in a category are the same, many oils can meet minimum specs sitting in 55 gallon drum or quart bottle but how they perform in your particular motor is what counts what works for me maybe different for someone else! I know formulas keep changing I tried them all years ago, my motor did not run as well on Penzoil Platinum and Mobil 1 it actually ran very good on QUAKER STATE all synthetic 10W-30, your response about cold weather performance is off, it's not all about 5W & 10W it's the total formulation of the oil.

Winter ratings are achieved or not achieved, and if a tested oil meets the requirements for a better rating then it must be labeled as such. If the oil you’re referring to was significantly better at cold weather performance than any other oil with a 10W rating then it would be labeled as either a 5W or a 0W.

All of which is agnostic to the base stock composition other than the physical requirements needing certain bases to meet better winter ratings.

Winter ratings are achieved or not achieved, and if a tested oil meets the requirements for a better rating then it must be labeled as such. If the oil you’re referring to was significantly better at cold weather performance than any other oil with a 10W rating then it would be labeled as either a 5W or a 0W.

All of which is agnostic to the base stock composition other than the physical requirements needing certain bases to meet better winter ratings.
That's all true, but doesn't API allow an oil to slip one Winter grade in use, and still be in-grade. Not that it has to slip, but it's allowed. I remember Shannow saying this.

Maybe the effect that @BERLIN is referring to, and I've heard others say similar, is that a well formulated synthetic stays a 10W30 in use while maybe some conventional oils become a 15W30 as they age.

Just saying...

I've run both Castrol Magnatec 10W30 semi-synthetic with ACEA A3/B4 and Castrol Edge 10W30 full synthetic with ACEA A5/B5.

It never gets below freezing here, so these two did me fine. The Euro ratings mean as much or more to me than Dexos ratings, so I don't feel I had an inferior oil in my sump.
Forecast -6C tomorrow morning so I’m expecting -8 with the BOM’s poor record on minimums lately.

That's all true, but doesn't API allow an oil to slip one Winter grade in use, and still be in-grade. Not that it has to slip, but it's allowed. I remember Shannow saying this.

Maybe the effect that @BERLIN is referring to, and I've heard others say similar, is that a well formulated synthetic stays a 10W30 in use while maybe some conventional oils become a 15W30 as they age.

Just saying...

True indeed SR5....

The oils are allowed to slip one grade say from a 5w to a 10w in service.

That may well be what Berlin is saying here.

Reactions: SR5
Forecast -6C tomorrow morning so I’m expecting -8 with the BOM’s poor record on minimums lately.
Yes very cold right now, for Australia that is, I'm sure our friends from Canada and Alaska have seen much much worse. Still a 10W30 is good down to 0F or -20C, and we are nowhere near there yet. Canberra should be -5C tomorrow.

Yes very cold right now, for Australia that is, I'm sure our friends from Canada and Alaska have seen much much worse. Still a 10W30 is good down to 0F or -20C, and we are nowhere near there yet. Canberra should be -5C tomorrow.
Hit -5.4C at 4:00am but up the road at Cooma it hit -9C.

Yep. Just north of Anchorage, -18 to -30 degrees C represent the normal lows of our winters. 5W-30, 0W-30, and 0W-40 oils do just fine here.

10W-30 is a great 3-season HD oil here -- 4 seasons if you plug-in and don't drive too deep into Interior Alaska. :)

Last edited:
Back