REALLY need help guys ,,, pls !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I'm calling for help from Egypt ...

i'm driving a 2009 toyota yaris 1.3 vvt-i naturally aspirated .. done 11,000 km so far (6835 miles)

Driving in here is extreme ! Hot& very dusty weather + heavy traffic + short distances ( average distance i make is 30 km max(19 miles) or 100 km(62miles) if i am travelling per day )...

I'm an easy driver .. easy & slow
the recommended grade in my catalog is 20w50 or 15w-40 both multi grade SL or SM ... (nothing written on oil cap)

at first , i used mobil 1 , its locally made here in Egypt (anything made locally in Egypt is of low quality) , but the engine was noisy ,

so i switched to shell helix ultra ... was not satisfied too .. (locally made too)

finally , i'm using now Toyota genuine motor oil 20w-50 but its a mineral oil ! (not made in Egypt) and guess what?? much smoother engine !!

I don't know what to do !

is it the bad quality of locally made oils? or what?
anyway , all i need is outstanding protection .. i don't care about performance ... just a heat and dust resistance!

any suggestions?
thanx!

Last edited:
What grades were the Mobil 1 and Helix?

Id see if you can get chevron delo, shell rotella or texaco/caltex ursa, give them a try.

Falcoln_LS is in Kuwait and shares your disdain for local oils, which for him are also low quality if not outright counterfeit.

Noise is not the ultimate gauge by which you should judge oil, maybe get the "Mobil 1" (I use quotes) analyzed to see if it looks like US spec M1.

If you find something you like, try to get several cases of the same lot number!

I still expect the best thing you can do for your engine is to keep the dust out, even if it means changing your paper filter every couple thousand miles, and greasing all the seals.

grades i got were mobil 1 : 0-40 & shell 5-50

chevron delo not available

what is shell rotella?

texaco not available

i'll search for caltex but i guess its only fuel stations available here not any products ..

how about castrol ? good?

Last edited:
If you can get the Toyota oil (not sure who makes it) cheap and easy ,use that.Because of the high dust and sand /higher temps,you will be changing the oil more often anyway,so running a synthetic will not bring any gain.
edit :Yes, Castrol is fine,too.If its not counterfeit as eljifino stated above.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Falcoln_LS is in Kuwait and shares your disdain for local oils, which for him are also low quality if not outright counterfeit.

Noise is not the ultimate gauge by which you should judge oil, maybe get the "Mobil 1" (I use quotes) analyzed to see if it looks like US spec M1.

If you find something you like, try to get several cases of the same lot number!

I still expect the best thing you can do for your engine is to keep the dust out, even if it means changing your paper filter every couple thousand miles, and greasing all the seals.

i change air filter every 20,000 km (13,000 miles) and get it cleaned every 2000 km (1300 miles)

Hello,, What IS available in your neck of the woods? I assume German products are always available anywhere in/near Europe and the Meditteranian. Agip? Total? If supply is severly limited you might buy Motol if you stumble upon it. While noise isn't a scientific way to measure the performance of an oil, it seems like a good place to start. Kira

Since the Toyota oil is inexpensive, of known quality, and readily available, I would recommend that you stick with that and avoid the potentially counterfeit products.

Change the oil and filter often....following the severe service recommendation in your manual. I've been to Egypt...routine driving there is severe service by any standard!

And change that air filter using the same recommendation in your manual...I am not familiar with "cleaning" a paper air filter element...do they just blow it clean with compressed air? Be careful...a damaged filter will let in a lot more dirt...

In your situation, dust is going to be the primary source of engine wear and heat is going to be the primary source of coking or carbon build-up.

If wear is your major concern, spend your time and effort on air filtration. When I was a kid, we used to put a thin oil onto paper filters for added protection on farm equipment. I don't have any data to say that it worked for engine wear, but the filters collected dust and clogged very quickly. You HAVE to change them often with this strategy. My impression is that a paper filter with a thin oil layer does a great job of filtering but does not have any added capacity - thus change often. Also keep in mind that every fluid with a vent will eventually aspirate dust. The silicates in dust are very abrasive. Try to keep all of the fluids changed regularly and filter what you can.

If build-up in the engine is your primary concern, try to find an oil marketed for turbos. They tend to tolerate heat better.

+1, don't blow out paper air filters. Can you mail order them by the dozen? Is there an amazon.com for Egypt?

guys ! blowing up the air filter is done by the TOYOTA dealer here in Egypt !
its one of the things done each service!! (air filter cleaned every 5000 km , changed every 20000km) , plus , its a very rigid filter , i dont think it is affected by air blowing ,,,,

for amazon , yes its available in Egypt ,

so , what i should do is stick to toyota mineral ? cuz i thought that synthetic is more robust !

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMorg
In your situation, dust is going to be the primary source of engine wear and heat is going to be the primary source of coking or carbon build-up.

If wear is your major concern, spend your time and effort on air filtration. When I was a kid, we used to put a thin oil onto paper filters for added protection on farm equipment. I don't have any data to say that it worked for engine wear, but the filters collected dust and clogged very quickly. You HAVE to change them often with this strategy. My impression is that a paper filter with a thin oil layer does a great job of filtering but does not have any added capacity - thus change often. Also keep in mind that every fluid with a vent will eventually aspirate dust. The silicates in dust are very abrasive. Try to keep all of the fluids changed regularly and filter what you can.

If build-up in the engine is your primary concern, try to find an oil marketed for turbos. They tend to tolerate heat better.

Exactly , so despite the air filter , what oil should i be looking for?

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello,, What IS available in your neck of the woods? I assume German products are always available anywhere in/near Europe and the Meditteranian. Agip? Total? If supply is severly limited you might buy Motol if you stumble upon it. While noise isn't a scientific way to measure the performance of an oil, it seems like a good place to start. Kira

total is available ... MOTUL not available :-(
what type should i get from total?

guys also i wanted to ask ,,,
does multi grade oils mean mineral oils ?
because every time i google ''multi grade oil'' mineral oils appear to me?! loooool

HELP PLS!

Multigrade oil does not mean it is mineral oil.

Use the Toyota branded oil.
Stop blowing your filter out.
Follow the severe service schedule, and live happily ever after.

Jim

many Toyota OEM filters for units sold into dusty environments (ME, Australia, Central Asia, Africa) are designed to to hold a lot of dust and be cleaned with compressed air.

Picture of a Toyota OEM filter with cleaning instructions
attachment.php

attachment.php

If you are really worried about filter efficiency then an air restriction gauge is the best way to go. That way there is no need to even touch the filter until it is restricting performance.

31SFFOvJHZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AstroTurf

Jim

+1 Good advice.

Follow your severe service schedule for your Toyota vehicle. Stick with Toyota Genuine Oil. It seems you have no trustworthy options for better synthtics at your location.

1. Keep your cooling system is excellent working condition.

Best of luck

Originally Posted By: AstroTurf

Jim

ok guys .. cuz i'm turning mad .. blowing air filter is done in the severe service schedule .... !!

Originally Posted By: MonumentOiler
many Toyota OEM filters for units sold into dusty environments (ME, Australia, Central Asia, Africa) are designed to to hold a lot of dust and be cleaned with compressed air.

Picture of a Toyota OEM filter with cleaning instructions
attachment.php

attachment.php

If you are really worried about filter efficiency then an air restriction gauge is the best way to go. That way there is no need to even touch the filter until it is restricting performance.

31SFFOvJHZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

exactly !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back