re: Changing synthetic oil too soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's been frequently discussed here, but could someone post a link to discussions related to synthetic oil performing "better" with change intervals beyond 3,000 miles?

thanks

28.gif
You have no idea what you've just done LOL

Oh, I'm well aware that oil discussions, specifically "interval" discussions are approached with the same passion as creationism vs the neodarwin synthesis.

I just want a link to some pertinent threads. :)

Last edited:
i read where a ford did a study and found out all oils seem to perform better after 3,ooo miles...i think it was here but i dont remember where...but i do know it is true...it is a real waste of money to change oil at 3 k, at least go 6..esp with synthetic which can go 10k....i think xtra carbon in oil made it perform better after 3k....i just know a lot of people change their oil every 20 k and cars still run...it probably does some damage but my point is oil can go a lot longer than 3k....7k is more than reasonable

Originally Posted By: Titan
Using Pennzoil Platinum, I doubled the manufacturer's recommendation over the "normal use" or "not severe use" mileage, with UOA's that rival the "normal" UOA values.

how many miles is normal service? what filters do you use and are they the same interval as the oil?

For my toy taco it would 10k, but uoa at 8k said dump that oil sooner.

I have a UOA OTW to BlackStone @ 4.5k but US mail says it never left where I dropped off the package, been sitting in one place for 5 days. [censored].

Running M1 EP and M1 filter. Tow a small Bass Boat. Oci @ 1 year, which is 6-7k,and call it good.

I change syn oils at 5,000 because I run severe service short commutes with lots of city stop n go & idling and my OLM is always under 20% at 5000. Prior to joining this forum I was a 3000 mile OCI guy. Changing at 3000 is a total waste for sure.

We change oil (Mobil 1 5W20)just a few days under 6 months in both vehicles to keep the warranty covered.

We both are retired and unless we take a trip, we average under 2,000 miles on each vehicle during this period. Last oil change was around 1600 miles.

When we do drive either vehicle, we drive at least 10 miles so they come up to normal operating temperatures.

We buy new vehicles often enough so they are always under warranty.

China Mart has the 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 for around $21.00 so the cost twice a year is not that great.

i was always under the impression it took about 20 or so miles or around 30 minutes of good steady driving to get the oil up to temps?

I want my motor clean, price isn't an issue, just my personal preference.

I always ran the recommended 5w-30 Penzoil conventional, 6 month oci, by the end of the cycle mileage around 3 to 4k the motor ticked like the oil had sheared.

Now I run GC 0w-30, no noticeable ticks very shear stable, its what I like best about it. Still I change it every 6 months, however if I dint reach the 5k mile mark in that time, then I extend it to around 8 months, and change it then regardless of mileage.

Last edited by a moderator:
basically UOA lab results show its better to not change syntehtic oil every 3k miles, you actually create more engine wear by changing it that often. The parts per million of wear metals is lower if you run it longer vs. switching it out every 3k.

I now laugh at people selling used cars on craigslist "synthetic oil changed every 3000 miles" great, so you are advertising that you not only like to waste money and our limited resources, you actually are selling an engine that has more wear on it than the guy who followed the manufacturer's recommended oil change intervals.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
We change oil (Mobil 1 5W20)just a few days under 6 months in both vehicles to keep the warranty covered.

We both are retired and unless we take a trip, we average under 2,000 miles on each vehicle during this period. Last oil change was around 1600 miles.

When we do drive either vehicle, we drive at least 10 miles so they come up to normal operating temperatures.

We buy new vehicles often enough so they are always under warranty.

China Mart has the 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 for around $21.00 so the cost twice a year is not that great.

You are not getting any advantage in what you are doing. None. If you turn over cars often again no advantage.

Just looking at the Uoas it looks like the conventional oils are good for 4-5, the blends 5-7,and the synthetics 7 up. I read that oil filters perform best beginning at about 4K.

Originally Posted By: toy4two
basically UOA lab results show its better to not change syntehtic oil every 3k miles, you actually create more engine wear by changing it that often. The parts per million of wear metals is lower if you run it longer vs. switching it out every 3k.

I've been hearing this recently. It is illogical. UNLESS and until it is determined that fresh engine oil "eats away" at engine metals until it's ability to "eat" is diminished by the degradation of the "eating" part of the formulation, I'm going to dismiss this as a recent "urban legend" that's feeding on itself. In the absence of supplemental data, I would further assume that if this were true for synthetic oil, it would also be true for conventional oil.

The only advantage of "synthetic" oil is the supposedly reduced amount of VII polymers that enable the synthetic oil to act as the multigrade it is advertised to be. That is, conventional oils shear more quickly to the base oil at operating temperatures.

I do agree that most people change their oil way more frequently than is required. I use conventional oil all the time, and have been known to change it at 5000 mile intervals because that's easy to keep track of, but more recently, while everyone's scrambling to see just how thin an oil they can run their engine on, I've switched to six month OCI's, using 10W-30 for the colder six months of the year (start temps 45F+), and SAE-30 for the warmer six months of the year (start temps 60F+).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back