Rat Rod

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
No idea what this is. I appreciate the ingenuity shown with these builds but a common theme apparently is to make them as dangerous for the occupants as possible. Things like zero visibility, open exhausts, open driveshaft between the seats etc. Seems like they should be inspected by the DOT to be street driven but apparently not.
20230319_151156.jpg

ugh I hate that every 30's vehicle has been completely destroyed. I love survivors and original restos.

More polished versions of this have long existed.

IMHO its just yet another fad. Might stick around, but once “everyone’s doing it”, it will likely be not cool anymore.

As long as the roads aren’t clogged up by these, not sure how much I care. I don’t think anyone daily drives these? at least not in any large number.

ugh I hate that every 30's vehicle has been completely destroyed. I love survivors and original restos.
Original engine, transmission, paint and interior.

A completely original car that’s never been modified. Been in the family since 1963, so I’m quite certain of that.

Missing the horns and some front trim as I prep for an engine removal.

F777A5FD-E3EB-494C-A47F-4D3B7D958321.jpeg

Engine coming out for what? Routine overhaul or worse? [Am hoping not, that's a babbit motor, isn't it?]

I presume this will get a thread of its own, it's the sort of thing I used to enjoy seeing in car mags... now it's all on youtube and some of them are pretty good, but you just don't see tin like this.

Engine coming out for what? Routine overhaul or worse? [Am hoping not, that's a babbit motor, isn't it?]

I presume this will get a thread of its own, it's the sort of thing I used to enjoy seeing in car mags... now it's all on youtube and some of them are pretty good, but you just don't see tin like this.
It has babbitt bearings. The car overheated in Colorado many years ago, and the No. 1 rod bearing developed a knock. To fix it properly, I am pulling the engine. I want a chance to go through the whole thing - all nine (yes, nine, it’s a Packard) main bearings, all the rod bearings, crank journals, and take a look at the cylinders, valves, etc. the crank may need to be turned.

Best case, I get one rod bearing re-poured, turn the crank, hone the cylinders and put in new rings.

There’s a good machine shop in town for that work, and there is a small Packard group with whom I’ve been in contact. Also, Fantom Works ( https://fantomworks.com/ ) is nearby, and I’ve talked with the owner, Dan. We actually talked about making an episode with the car, doing the engine, some paint restoration, some interior, and some electrical work, about six years ago, but then my youngest got into a great (and expensive) college, so the Packard project was shelved for a while.

The Packard Eight. This is a standard eight, of about 320 cubic inches. The plugs are disconnected and threaded in by hand so that I can take them out periodically, add a few ounces of oil to each cylinder and turn the engine over by hand to keep everything free
9AB93A45-F05E-4FD4-A803-E7841DA9BC9D.jpeg

Best of luck. I know babbit pounders have "special" work for doing the bearings, which is why I was curious.

Original engine, transmission, paint and interior.

A completely original car that’s never been modified. Been in the family since 1963, so I’m quite certain of that.

View attachment 145927
Astro, thanks for sharing photos of your Packard. I for one would be interested to read a thread on the progress with this car.

We had a 1930 Ford Model A Town Sedan in the family. I grew up learning to wrench on this Ford. My first lesson was “No, the battery was not connected improperly.” Upon recharging the battery, I connected the battery negative terminal to ground. The car started but the generator would show a discharge when revved up. I asked dad why that happened and he said that some old cars have a positive ground..

There was a lot of learning involved with that car. Good times..

Yep, positive ground, 6V electric system. Sorry for the thread hijack. I will start a thread when I pull the engine on the Packard. Cheers.

No idea what this is. I appreciate the ingenuity shown with these builds but a common theme apparently is to make them as dangerous for the occupants as possible. Things like zero visibility, open exhausts, open driveshaft between the seats etc. Seems like they should be inspected by the DOT to be street driven but apparently not.
View attachment 145915
I noticed it's on a trailer..... Maybe the owner knows it's not very roadworthy?

@Astro14
Pouring babbitt bearings used to be a DIY activity. We had a lead ladle at our farm for just that purpose. And for throwing molten lead onto the snow so the resulting "castings" could foretell the coming year, but let's not get into that.

Don't suppose many people know how to re-pour babbitt bearings nowadays. Another (almost) lost art.

@Astro14
Pouring babbitt bearings used to be a DIY activity. We had a lead ladle at our farm for just that purpose. And for throwing molten lead onto the snow so the resulting "castings" could foretell the coming year, but let's not get into that.

Don't suppose many people know how to re-pour babbitt bearings nowadays. Another (almost) lost art.
They are, indeed, few and far between. I’ve got to get the crank checked, and if the Journals need to be cleaned up, which I suspect, then turned. Once that’s done, I can mike it and get the rod bearing done.

I noticed it's on a trailer..... Maybe the owner knows it's not very roadworthy?
The driver asked me for directions so not local. Maybe sold, maybe there's a rat rod shop nearby. I see a few around on the roads. They aren't always what you think, there's a technique of spraying on multiple colors then using walnut hulls or something to blast off layers to get the patina.

They're just another thing you have to get "right" so the peer group that runs them just might accept you. Just like harleys.

Stuff like the hand painted door for "Jim's knife sharpening" or whatever else made up business. I've seen the spider webs too, the beer keg gas tank, the WWII canvas airplane seats... it's all a cliche.

A *real* rat rod is built to an actual budget, you'd take your kids out to ice cream in it, and drive it in the salty winter. Even better if it's something "heretic" like a 90s Japanese import with a kludged turbo and rocker panels "fixed" with expanding foam insulation.

Back