Rant - spelling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please note this rant does not include those for whom English is not their first language, nor does it include typos.

But for the rest of us, come on! If you were raised in any English speaking country you should know the difference between, and be able to use properly:

their, there, they're

lose and loose

to, too, two

its and it's

and you should also know that there is no apostrophe used when your are pluralizing a noun. Example: It is "Hondas" not "Honda's". Apostrophes are used to show possesession, as in, "Honda's specifications". Basic English skills here that should have been learned by second or third grade.

I am sure there are more examples out there...

Last edited:
The big one on a different car forum I frequent is "grill" and "grille". But my favorite is when to use "your" and "you're".

Last edited:
And remember, "r", "u", "2", "b", "b/c", "ne", "ne1", etc, are not words. I don't want to get a headache trying to decipher textspeak. Use actual words.

Irregardless
wink.gif

Tire threads vs treads !!! That one got me when looking on Craigslist.

Not to mention the difference between quiet and quite. That drives me nuts. The conjugation of verbs is nowadays considered a lost art. Like Larry McReynolds on Nascar broadcasts: "He done blowed up!"

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Their is nothing wrong with my spelling's or my typo's. Losen up.
and the grammEr :)

I agree, Kuato.

My little pet peeve is "Mobile" oil.

"Mobile" is a coastal city in Alabama.
05.gif

"Mobil" is a well known oil, that is not difficult to spell.

Errors with subjunctive mood are a big pet peeve.

"If I was you." Wrong.
"If I were you." Correct.

When conjugating the verb "to be", was is the past tense, not future or present tense.

Kuato, I feel your pain. My mother taught English and I cringe at all the things you describe. The trouble is that the ones who do it don't care if they appear to have an education level below that of a 4th grader, they are lazy, or they just don't know any better. They'll just curse you for saying so on an Internet forum. Heck, I see people using the number "0" and the letter "O" interchangeably, using the accent mark "`" or a comma "," when they are trying to use an apostrophe "'", and a variety of other atrocities.

Using question marks when making a statement and not using question marks when phrasing a question grinds my gears lately.

Who gives a f*** about an Oxford comma (*and all that English drama*)... So if there's any other way to spell the word it's fine with me.

I personally do not care. As long as I can decipher the intent, I am fine with it.

Language is intentionally ambiguous and specific so that it maximizes the amount of potential comprehension from a wide number of individuals and then exchanges particulars.

If this was a submitted term paper, ok, check that grammar. Forums... meh.
Many of us use quick-auto correct, type late at night, and are just semi-lazy.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
You know what I'm sayin...after every other sentence. Sigh...

No, I don't know you're sayin....

Right on, bro. Nomesain?

Originally Posted By: salv
Errors with subjunctive mood are a big pet peeve.

"If I was you." Wrong.
"If I were you." Correct.

When conjugating the verb "to be", was is the past tense, not future or present tense.

The "were" is that rarely seen and terribly shy wild animal, the subjunctive. Approach and use with caution.

I'm sure EVERYONE, including those of us who gripe about such things (myself included) have indeed screwed up. But it is sad and painful to see the same mistakes made time and time again by the same folks. Not only spelling, but also punctuation and plurality.

The 'american' language is no longer taught in schools as far as I can tell. And how about sentence structure I mean like is it something that we should know when we finish sixth grade? I mean after all that its not really important to no how to fill out like you no an employment application. Have I made my point? FWIW

Oldtommy

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
I agree, Kuato.

My little pet peeve is "Mobile" oil.

"Mobile" is a coastal city in Alabama.
05.gif

"Mobil" is a well known oil, that is not difficult to spell.

Heck I went by O'Reillys and they had it spelled Mobile on their sign!
50.gif

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back