ram_man's condensed Dodge Dart oil thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ram_man
https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

I found this interesting. I originally was wanting to read about 0w20 and how well it actually protects since I am a spirited driver and want the lowest wear I could practically have . On that note I found this which I thought was interesting.
Reading this it looks like sopus does pretty well. I'd interested in knowing how well Dino does in comparison to synthetics in regards to wear as well. Black stone says they don't notice a difference.
I'm at almost 50% on my olm at 3993 miles. And I planned on changing it with 20% left. So that's probably around 6,000 miles so I'm not sure if synthetic even makes sense. I hope this turns into a good discussion as I know there's a lot about oil I do not know.
Also as a side note on filters. I used a fram extragard I've heard some issues with these lately. How are the oem mopar filters? I changed out the factory oil at 600 miles so this oil at 50% only has roughly 3400 on it. What would be the best course of action and what's the consensus on wear with Dino vs syns?

Sorry to say, but this thread doesn't make since.

Hey everyone on my mew dart im considering running the oci to 10,000 its going to need hard for me to do much over 5000 gives me the shakes. But i know 0w20 and 10,000 means synthetic. So give me your best argument on which one i should use in the 2.0l. Castrol edge
Valvoline synpower, pennzoil platinum or the quaker state syn. I am not interested in mobil in this car or any house brand syns. Thanks everyone

I don't know that the oil change interval Chrysler recommends, but since you are under warranty, I suggest you follow it.

As far as brand, any synthetic name brand that meets MS-6395 spec will do.

So I went to Walmart to get oil and of course 0w20 is hard to come by except for valvoline it seems. 5w20 and especially 5w30 are far more common. I'd rather have a 0w20 or 0w30 but am wondering what's the difference between 5 and 0 the flow amount at freezing and then say 10 below. Is it really enough to notice a difference?

Last edited:
So I went to Walmart to get oil and of course 0w20 is hard to come by except for valvoline it seems. 5w20 and especially 5w30 are far more common. I'd rather have a 0w20 or 0w30 but am wondering what's the difference between 5 and 0 the flow amount at freezing and then say 10 below. Is it really enough to notice a difference?

2400+ posts and you're asking this question?

You're in southern Missouri? The answer is... no.

I dont know if there is any scientific evidence of the difference..if your winters are bad enough where u wonder what oil has the best flow rate then i would pick a 0w20 or 0w30 full syn and not look back and run it up to 10K.

Autozone Mobil 1 0w30 AFE for $2 a quart would be my choice.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

+1

Is it enough to notice a difference? Not in MO.

I think you will need to go to a different Walmart if 0W20 is limited at that store. I've been in many Walmart stores in the US and I always see plenty of 0W especially M1 AFE.

crackmeup2.gif

Post count here on this forum has showed me that doesnt always mean much at all.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
Is it enough to notice a difference? Not in MO.

I think you will need to go to a different Walmart if 0W20 is limited at that store. I've been in many Walmart stores in the US and I always see plenty of 0W especially M1 AFE.

They do have it in Mobil but id prefer to not use their products my own personal reasons

Originally Posted By: Rand
Walmarts by me carry M1 AFE, M1 EP, Valvoline, RP, and PP all in 0w20

They carry all of these as well here @ our Wallyworld.

Yeah, what he said
mad.gif
Do you think you're GregK24 or something?

I live in Southern Illinois,pretty much the same weather as the OP. I use 10W40 in one vehicle ,15W50 in one and 20W50 in the other year round. No problems from below 0 to 100+ F. temperatures.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
OP watch this video and pay attention at 2:22

Here is the ultimate answer, but in reality it will never get that cold in Mizurrah. I would stick with a 5wXX at least though

I tried online ordering from WM, spent $50 and it came to my door free shipping. The store is often out of what I want. Got 2 jugs M1 0w-30 and 2 of PP 5w-30m, both had rebates so cost went way down.

Most normal people think 0W flows better than 5W. Nevermind that when you pull the dipstick with the engine hot, the oil evaporates off the dipstick.

This for your new Dart? Any reason not to use whatever Dodge recommends other than your Wallyworld doesn't have it? Lots of choices on Amazon with free shipping, or as above, Wallyworld online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back