ram_man's condensed Dodge Dart oil thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
That's right, buy a new car and never change the oil.

ram_man, you must be one of those normal people.....
Merk, my VW has only had 10,000-12,000 mile oil changes for the past 175,000 miles. Here's a picture of the engine. Looks pretty clean to me.

123179x.jpg

Diesles are completely different. I do like your pic though.

Originally Posted By: Mark72
I'm running edge ep. Pretty impressed with how clean it runs. I usually go 5 k and it still looks good. I know I could run longer but can't break my old school mentality

Wow.

Why adjusting service routines presents difficulty for people is beyond me. The data confirms the oil is capable of longer intervals so exactly why is that hard to do.
Why is this a weakness.
Because of outdated feelings and thoughts. Nonsense.

Ram man. It doesn't matter. Use whichever.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I vote Castrol Edge
Agreed...or QSUD, PP, PUP, VSP, Kendall, Havoline, Formula Shell, Amsoil, RP. OR...dast I say it - ANY flavor of M1--because it just will not matter...
Haha yup I don't have a problem with any of those oils, I just chose one from his list using the "Eenie meenie minie moe" method.

I would say bring the list down to three:

Schaeffers, Redline, or M1 EP plus half bottle of Ceratec.

10,000 or OLM is fine. Keep it topped off. I use PP 0W-20 in my Dart. Last run was 7800 miles before OLM went off - mixed city/hwy driving. Not every 0W-20 meets Chrysler MS-6395. M1 does not.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
I vote Castrol Edge
Agreed...or QSUD, PP, PUP, VSP, Kendall, Havoline, Formula Shell, Amsoil, RP OR...dast I say it - ANY flavor of M1--because it just will not matter...

Bingo!

If your car is equipped with an oil life monitor, use it. Otherwise, follow the manufacturer's recommended oil change interval & document your oil changes. I'm sure you have a warranty to uphold.

Originally Posted By: Mark72
In your climate..I wouldn't think twice. Up here in Illinois I might do that in the spring through summer but with our winters and my short trips I only go 4 to 5 thousand.

In the cold MN winters I never went over 5K. Spring-Fall I'd run 7500-10k before a fresh change in the fall for the coming arctic weather. Lots of miles, top end of engine is still clean. Sometimes I even ran Dino for 7500...*gasp*

Well my decision was made rather easily... I went to the local walmart and the only oils they have in 0w20 was synpower and mobil 1......mobil 1 isn't approved so thats out the castrol was only in 5w20 form and has no chrysler approvals. They didnt have any 0w20 of pp either . They weren't out they literally do not stock it. So i went with valvoline which i was hesitant my moms focus was noisy at [censored] in the cold with this oil but we will see i guess

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Well my decision was made rather easily... I went to the local walmart and the only oils they have in 0w20 was synpower and mobil 1......mobil 1 isn't approved so thats out the castrol was only in 5w20 form and has no chrysler approvals. They didnt have any 0w20 of pp either . They weren't out they literally do not stock it. So i went with valvoline which i was hesitant my moms focus was noisy at [censored] in the cold with this oil but we will see i guess

Funny enough Mobil Super Synthetic does meet the Crysler MS-6395 but M1 AFE or EP does not...though both are superior oil to MSS.

That said Valvoline makes a perfectly good product and will work just fine with the OLM intervals.

you sound as if you have no faith in the Valvoline. You could have went to another store if you wanted castrol AAP has specials on almost every brand of synthetic right now.

M1 won't void your warranty even though it doesn't carry the Spec. M1 is the most recognized high quality synthetic oil in the U.S no dealer will deny warranty claims because you used a well know high quality oil like M1

Having said that Valvoline Synpower is one of my favorite synthetics. Certainly my favorite OTC syn. It is a great lube and will perform just as good as anything else on the market.

Good Work Ram-Man, you have a new car, you read the OM and decided to follow it. Correct oil spec, correct viscosity, and going full synthetic because you are following the OLM or 10k mi OCI, (as per OM). You went to your local store, examined what was avaliable and purchased a name brand oil that met your requirements.

Valvoline SynPower is a good oil, I like the oil and I like how you got there.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
10,000 or OLM is fine. Keep it topped off. I use PP 0W-20 in my Dart. Last run was 7800 miles before OLM went off - mixed city/hwy driving. Not every 0W-20 meets Chrysler MS-6395. M1 does not.

What a load of garbage. As anyone who has taken the time to research it m1 is more than adequate for any Chrysler engine with that spec. It's politics. Mobil chose not to extend credit to Chrysler when they went broke so in turn Chrysler won't admit m1 meets its spec. And Mobil couldn't care less about certifying it.
Childish to be honest.
Lest we forget it 2005 m1 was the factory fill for all chryslers,and the engine architecture hasn't changed in the hemi from then to now,though the cubes have.
So give it up. M1 is a fine product and works just fine in a Chrysler.

The manual in my 15 malibu says 2 change it at least once a year or when the OLM goes off. But in the schedule service its marked every 7.5k miles On any dexos oil.

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

I found this interesting. I originally was wanting to read about 0w20 and how well it actually protects since I am a spirited driver and want the lowest wear I could practically have . On that note I found this which I thought was interesting.
Reading this it looks like sopus does pretty well. I'd interested in knowing how well Dino does in comparison to synthetics in regards to wear as well. Black stone says they don't notice a difference.
I'm at almost 50% on my olm at 3993 miles. And I planned on changing it with 20% left. So that's probably around 6,000 miles so I'm not sure if synthetic even makes sense. I hope this turns into a good discussion as I know there's a lot about oil I do not know.
Also as a side note on filters. I used a fram extragard I've heard some issues with these lately. How are the oem mopar filters? I changed out the factory oil at 600 miles so this oil at 50% only has roughly 3400 on it. What would be the best course of action and what's the consensus on wear with Dino vs syns?

Oh come on. Really? Really? Mods should just delete this thread before it turns out like the hundreds before it discussing this stupid testing.

This post comes up every so often and it goes something like this. Rat testing is useless as it doesn't represent what actually happens in an engine. REPLY but it must have some sound logic behind it. And it goes on and on and on. The consensus here is that if you change the oil often enough and let the engine warm up you will drive that thing its entire life with lo wear related failure. Heck you could likely not follow that advice and will be fine. With that said if you dont hammer on it when she's cold than the only benefit Synthetic will give you is the ability to run longer oil change intervals. With out an UOA your guessing unless you find that same vehicle in the UOA sections and get a feel for how hard it is on oil in general. 5k miles on Dino should be fine for all but a few hard on oil cars and 7k good for quality synthetic.

Last edited:
https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

I found this interesting.

Total garbage! I cannot believe that someone here even bothered making a post of that so called "testing" of motor oils,seriously people.

You want an oil that can safely go 10,000 miles,pick one,seriously.Afterwards, have an oil analysis done and see how everything looks and go from there.

We can do better then this people,come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back