Race vs Street Mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you asking what kind of mileage are they getting? It is really dependant on the track. Think Circuit de la Sarthe, it is almost 8.5 miles long, with the Mulsanne straight taking up about 3.5 miles or so miles of that. They average stops every 10-11 laps and IIRC the Audis had somewhere around a 85L diesel sump.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Are you asking what kind of mileage are they getting? It is really dependant on the track. Think Circuit de la Sarthe, it is almost 8.5 miles long, with the Mulsanne straight taking up about 3.5 miles or so miles of that. They average stops every 10-11 laps and IIRC the Audis had somewhere around a 85L diesel sump.

I think he is saying that "for every X miles on the street, how many miles does that translate to on the track?"

I don't really think there is a comparison. A car properly set up for road racing shouldn't be driven on the street. The normal road surfaces will destroy the suspension components in short order.

I don't really think there is a comparison. A car properly set up for road racing shouldn't be driven on the street. The normal road surfaces will destroy the suspension components in short order.

Exactly true.

And as anyone with a truly track ready car knows they have ridiculously short tire life, brake life, etc., depending on how biased they are towards race vs. street.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Exactly true.

And as anyone with a truly track ready car knows they have ridiculously short tire life, brake life, etc., depending on how biased they are towards race vs. street.

I had a fairly aggressive coilover setup on my 98 Mustang that I drove every day. It was fun, but got really old, really fast. Plus I was constantly having to make adjustments to the suspension.

There is a video on YouTube of Audi developing and testing the RS series and R8 engine. The engines must run 8000km at race speeds on the nurburgring ring flawlessly to go into production. Audi claims this is the equivalent of 120000km street miles.

So according to Audi, 1 race mile equals 15 street miles.

Exactly true.

I had a fairly aggressive coilover setup on my 98 Mustang that I drove every day. It was fun, but got really old, really fast. Plus I was constantly having to make adjustments to the suspension.

I used to have a track rat with a completely hard bushed front end. Everything was hard spec urethane or metal. It rode like a nightmare, and certain parts could literally wear out in a weekend! The steering was fantastic and everything was adjustable, but the maintenance was a killer.

Nowadays you can buy a hot something right off the showroom floor and tweak the alignment and go racing, so much nicer!

Originally Posted By: randomhero439
There is a video on YouTube of Audi developing and testing the RS series and R8 engine. The engines must run 8000km at race speeds on the nurburgring ring flawlessly to go into production. Audi claims this is the equivalent of 120000km street miles.

So according to Audi, 1 race mile equals 15 street miles.

That's exactly what I was looking for, sorry for the vague wording.

FWIW Ive done UOAs that I dont think I have/can/would post here that show my street oil after 2K miles and 1 lapping day was still good for at least another track day or maybe another 2K. The latter is speculation of course but wear metals didnt increase by much over 5% and the actual oil condition improved (less fuel, higher viscosity though barely, TBN/TAN)

I'd like to see a study of the ultra high VI oils, and just how well their asteric VIIs hold up to the shear of LONG, ALL OUT endurance racing abuse.
wink.gif

Exactly true.

I used to have a track rat with a completely hard bushed front end. Everything was hard spec urethane or metal. It rode like a nightmare, and certain parts could literally wear out in a weekend! The steering was fantastic and everything was adjustable, but the maintenance was a killer.

Nowadays you can buy a hot something right off the showroom floor and tweak the alignment and go racing, so much nicer!

In NJ, you have to put on "Cheater slicks" on if you want to drive it on the street... Slick tires with a little inch of tread, so you can say they have tread.

Interesting topic, I'm curious as well.

As a side note this is one reason why I love my S2000. It's engineered with occasional track time in mind. I can drive it to the track, use it hard all day, then drive it home again.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
Interesting topic, I'm curious as well.

As a side note this is one reason why I love my S2000. It's engineered with occasional track time in mind. I can drive it to the track, use it hard all day, then drive it home again.

Exactly the same reason I own a SRT. Track ready as purchased, and many, many track miles to prove it!

From an MPG standpoint, I get 11-12 MPG in the S2000 on the track. If I was driving on the street I'd get 22-24. So on that basis (which I realize is only one factor) it's 1:2.

Can't honestly say I have ever even looked at my mileage since back when my car was purchased, August of 05. But that was obviously not a reason behind the sale.

I'd love to find me a nice clean S2000, there aren't many out there and the ones I see are always all modded up, thus I lose interest instantly.

I support anyone's right to mod their car, it just kills my buying urge dead.

Can't honestly say I have ever even looked at my mileage since back when my car was purchased, August of 05. But that was obviously not a reason behind the sale.

I'd love to find me a nice clean S2000, there aren't many out there and the ones I see are always all modded up, thus I lose interest instantly.

I support anyone's right to mod their car, it just kills my buying urge dead.

I just did a couple of track days and was curious so I ran the numbers, wouldn't really bother me if it was 6 mpg (although I'm glad it's not)

They are out there, just takes some looking. If you're serious I'll keep my eyes open in the NJ/NY area. There are some good examples up here and we have the benefit of one of the best S2000 mechanics in the nation, Billman250, who looks out for a lot of the cars up here. Mine is bone stock except for race pads and sticky tires and I can eat up most Boxsters and C5 Vettes on the track, I've even taken a new CTS-V in the twisties
smile.gif
. Add a thicker front sway bar, coilovers, and some wider front tires (like a couple buddies of mine) and it will demolish 911s and a ZR1s in the twisties
smile.gif

^^^SORRY, but NOT with equally skilled drivers, and equal rubber/brake pad compounds on anything more open than an autocross course with 5' radius turns in it.
31.gif

Maybe THIS is what you meant by your "twisties" (a term I HATE, BTW, since it is soooo 'ricer' sounding, and their first reflexive reply when they get roasted on a straightaway/apex exit, i.e.; "yeah, but I'll KILL you in the twisties")??

The 2000 IS a very balanced, responsive, tossably agile little car, BUT it DOES have it's limitations, however high they may be.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back