R-12 A/C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Anyone charging an air conditioner with propane should be arrested.

That's the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I routinely operate industrial vehicles that have heated propane injected into combined exhaust/intake manifolds. I suppose the manufacturers of this equipment should be arrested too?

What about all of these CNG vehicles?

At this point, I wonder if it might be time to start sealing engine compartments. No modifications or owner service permitted, all service required to be done by a dealer or certified shop.

Don't you drive a Cadillac put together with parts from several different companies that have never even met eachother?

At this point, I wonder if it might be time to start sealing engine compartments. No modifications or owner service permitted, all service required to be done by a dealer or certified shop.

No thanks. It would give dealerships and certified shops the green light to hike prices even higher and rip people off more.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

Don't you drive a Cadillac put together with parts from several different companies that have never even met eachother?

Have you been drinking?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Cite a reference?

Dichlorodifluoromethane has no flash point and is non-flammable. It does not support combustion.

When it is burnt (or exposed to burning) it becomes Phosgene Gas. I'd rather have a propane/butane fire in my car than Phosgene.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosgene

Note the reference to the old propane torch leak detectors and them releasing the gas.

Have you been drinking?

Belligerent behavior, and answering questions with questions are sure signs of a drunk. So maybe you have.

I have a 92 Yukon Coupe that has a R12 system in need of charge. How do I connect propane to it?

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
I have a 92 Yukon Coupe that has a R12 system in need of charge. How do I connect propane to it?

A) You don't.
B) If you need to ask then you have much homework to do.

Pure propane has a much higher pressure curve than R12 and in hot climates may well cause rupture damage to the system. Appropriate HC refrigerants are a blend (usually of Propane & iso-Butane) which are mixed to lower the system pressure to that roughly matching R12. R290 is pure Propane.

In this chart OZ-12 represents approximately a 60/40 mix of R290/R600a (Propane/iso-Butane).
Y Axis is PSI. X Axis is temperature (C).

You can see on a hot day when condensing at 60C (pretty normal). Propane is about 100PSI up on R12. Not good.

ptchart.png

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
I miss R12. My older cars that had that were ice ice cold. I feel like newer systems now a days just doesn't blow as cold.

I think it depends on the manufacturer. My Infiniti blows ice cubes on the hottest days and is still on the original charge, AFAIK. The A/C in my Pilot is pretty lackluster and the Accord is average.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Quote: "The US EPA SNAP regulations do NOT allow the use of flammable refrigerants in vehicles"

Isn't HFO-1234yf being installed ?

In cars ?

And Mercedes put up a huge stink about it.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
I miss R12. My older cars that had that were ice ice cold. I feel like newer systems now a days just doesn't blow as cold.

I think it depends on the manufacturer. My Infiniti blows ice cubes on the hottest days and is still on the original charge, AFAIK. The A/C in my Pilot is pretty lackluster and the Accord is average.

Yes it does depend on the make and model. My SRT8 was purchased in August 2005, has never even been touched, and is still one of the best systems I have ever experienced. 101 degrees ambient temp here over the weekend.

Ou trucks are also exemplary. We seldom even have to service AC units anymore here on fleet vehicles.

Both of our 134 systems blow air colder than we can stand it, both have well over 100,000 miles, and neither have been opened up. The MDX even has a separate system for the rear area, so it's got a huge cabin to cool. I've also put auxiliary PS and ATF coolers in front of the condenser (the Ridgeline has them, too, but they're factory installed).

I think 134 conversions were sketchy, but a properly-designed system should work very well.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

I think 134 conversions were sketchy, but a properly-designed system should work very well.

This, this, this and this. R134a is a horrid refrigerant with pretty bad condensing performance. This means systems designed for 134a need much more refrigerant side surface area. This led to the development of modine and parallel flow condensers and solved the problem. It does mean that drop in conversions are going to be pretty average at best because the designed for R12 condensers just don't have the surface area. Properly designed 134a installations should cool every bit as well as an old 12 system.

What it does mean is if you are going to convert a 12 system then you need to do it right if you want the best possible performance. Change all the oil, replace the condenser with something modern and change the expansion device (txv or orifice tube). It's also worth changing the compressor and hoses. New compressors have much better shaft seals and new hoses don't leak. This is why new systems can last so long. Better hoses, better seals. Also like anything with seals, compressors wear and lose efficiency over time, newer units have better designs and are more efficient.

Of course you can just squirt some HC in there and get performance equivalent to R12 for cheaps. Upgrade the stuff I mentioned above with HC and you get a phenomenal increase in performance but it costs more.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Both of our 134 systems blow air colder than we can stand it, both have well over 100,000 miles, and neither have been opened up. The MDX even has a separate system for the rear area, so it's got a huge cabin to cool. I've also put auxiliary PS and ATF coolers in front of the condenser (the Ridgeline has them, too, but they're factory installed).

The key is properly designed systems.

R12 systems were optimized for the working thermodynamics of that fluid, which was different, and when the 134a was put in, in addition to having different pressure-temperature behaviors, it also was only filled like 75 or 80% (IIRC) as much as R134a. That makes a big difference on a hot day!

Some systems worked well. Others can be made to work well, especially if a parallel flow condensor, and a full flush and refill with the right oil, etc is done. I didnt do the parallel flow condensor on my 91 318i, but it worked really well until you got to the 95+ days in traffic on the asphalt.

My w123 Mercedes just dont have enough condensor area to do the job stock, plus they only have an R4 compressor. Put in a parallel flow condenser, a Sanden compressor, and some new barrier lines, and they can work OK... But by the time you go through all that, why not just make the system tight and run R-12, especially since it has come down in price. When I run out of R12, Ill do propane/isobutane.

Or just do an R-134a conversion correctly, and have div>

As mentioned above, its not necessarily just about temperature... You need mass flow across the evaporator, and R134 has less mass to begin with, before you even start on the basis of P-T behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back