RockAuto parts ordering misery

Sure, ask away. It’s a 2005.
The Delphi doesn't show a giant flange nut in their picture on RockAuto. I wonder how you ended up with one.

They have lots of castle nuts at NAPA. Go there next time.

Last edited:
I’ve been able to get rotors and pads for the Corolla and my Pathfinder off Amazon (Raybestos Element3s) for a couple bucks more than RA but I don’t have to pay additional shipping and then there’s the 1 day shipping.
This has been my experience as well.

The Delphi doesn't show a giant flange nut in their picture on RockAuto. I wonder how you ended up with one.

They have lots of castle nuts at NAPA. Go there next time.
You’re right about the picture. The actual part that showed up had a dust cap on the boot and their giant castle nut threaded on. Another difference I noticed is the red lines in the RA picture (is that the seal that holds the boot over the actual joint?) is blue on the actual part. The 3 retaining fasteners are the same as in the picture.

Good recommendation on Napa - I gotta try them next time I need replacement fasteners.

View attachment 162968
View attachment 162969
View attachment 162971

Here are some pictures of the ridiculous castle nut courtesy of Delphi. Seriously, what the heck were the engineers/designers thinking? A quick stack up would’ve shown them that their castle nut wouldn’t assemble.

Image #2 shows how far off axis it is and why I couldn’t use it. Thanks RA for the subpar return system.
Otoh, car’s buttoned up and back on the road.
The engineering spec probably didn't say anything about "no integral washer." Some buyer got the spec and ordered the cheapest castle nut they could find with the proper threads. I buy from Rock Auto occasionally, but always worry about what will happen if I have to return something, especially something heavy like brake rotor & pad kits. If my local parts stores are only a little more expensive, I buy from them.

You’re right about the picture. The actual part that showed up had a dust cap on the boot and their giant castle nut threaded on. Another difference I noticed is the red lines in the RA picture (is that the seal that holds the boot over the actual joint?) is blue on the actual part. The 3 retaining fasteners are the same as in the picture.

Good recommendation on Napa - I gotta try them next time I need replacement fasteners.
Yes the red band is on there to retain the boot which is a nice touch I might add because so many ball joints on the market have no band.

The engineering spec probably didn't say anything about "no integral washer." Some buyer got the spec and ordered the cheapest castle nut they could find with the proper threads. I buy from Rock Auto occasionally, but always worry about what will happen if I have to return something, especially something heavy like brake rotor & pad kits. If my local parts stores are only a little more expensive, I buy from them.
Fair point - as far as the buyer is concerned, the threads on the cheapest castle nut threads on the ball joint taper. Must be another place where engineering released the spec, buyer sourced at cheapest price and no one bothered inter departmentally to check will the end customer actually be able to use the part!

Back