Quickest-accelerating commercial airliner at takeoff? (laden)

Which commercial airliner, fully loaded, can put you back in your seat the hardest at takeoff?

Curious about this because I was in an A321 Neo recently and felt like its takeoff acceleration was harder than I’m used to from most jets. We all know the limitations of the butt dyno, though…

I've flown on a delta 757 once and it was nice. Take off certainly didn't feel like the 737 I'm used to. Though I'm sure the new max planes are notably more powerful.

my favorite takeoff was in a 747 in 1995. i was leaving bosnia. i was on my second tour of duty. it was all military personnel on board. departure was from zagreb airport. i have a fondness for very large airplanes with 4 engines. unfortunately the trend is toward fuel economy and reduced maintenance costs. still, i intend to book a flight on an airbus a380 or one of the latest 747. not a fan of the large twin engines planes.

Which commercial airliner, fully loaded, can put you back in your seat the hardest at takeoff?

Curious about this because I was in an A321 Neo recently and felt like its takeoff acceleration was harder than I’m used to from most jets. We all know the limitations of the butt dyno, though…
From what I've read the 757 is quite the hotrod on takeoff. Supposedly they even use the call sign heavy as the wing produces excessive vortexes.

Another vote for the 757. The 747 is no dog either...

I was working a 747-200 charter at Tigers once where after the off-load, on departure the Captain did a max performance takeoff for his niece who was in attendance. It was impressive to say the least given being empty.

edit: And the fact that he wasn't paying the gas bill.

Last edited:
I suppose you could look at Thrust/Weight ratio at Max Takeoff Weight.

Doing that, the CRJ-550/700 is the highest I can think of. That thing is a beast. The CRJ550 has an artificially low MTOW (to meet pilot contract scope clauses), so maybe it doesn’t really count

There’s lots of variants (optional engines, performance/weight packages, etc.) but 757-200, 717-200 and (rare) Dornier 328 Jet also are among the highest.

Last edited:
Quickest accelerating. That is purely a matter of thrust/weight.

Takeoff distance is another matter, and includes things the stall speed of the airplane is so, of course, the straight wing turbo prop is going to have an advantage in that regard.

The 757 has one of the highest thrust/weight any commercial airliner.

However, the perception of acceleration on this day has to do with how much both thrust, and weight, vary on any given flight. As I discussed in the thread about airliners, we rarely take off at full thrust. The reasons for that include saving wear on the engines.

But, some circumstances require us to use full thrust, things like the potential for windshear, or gusty conditions, or a short runway, or the airplane just needs another full power takeoff for maintenance testing.

We rarely take off at maximum gross weight. For a long range airplane like the 757, in domestic operations, we don’t carry nearly as much fuel as we would for an international flight. Also, cargo load and passenger loads can really vary.

So, for the OP, you could easily have a combination of a gusty day, requiring a maximum thrust takeoff, with a long range airplane that had a low fuel load compared with its maximum fuel , a modest passenger load compared with maximum, and resulting very light weight compared to its maximum weight, and the result is unusually strong acceleration.

The only time I've ever felt a really strong push in the back is when it felt like the pilot throttled up before releasing the brakes. That was a long time ago and these days it's always a slower rolling start with a more gradual increase in acceleration.

Not scientific results, but it feels like on average the Airbus planes I've been on accelerated harder than the Boeings.
My butt accelerometer has not been calibrated recently though 😜

I would think a high gross weight twin, like the 777W or an A350-1000.
These things need lots of excess thrust to accommodate engine out requirements past the abort point on takeoff.
They aren't normally operated like that, but they can be.

My experiences with aircraft are the 737NG, A32x and the 77W. Out of those, a loaded 77W took off with little effort from EWR, a pair of GE90s didn’t hurt.

For some reason, A320s feel like a dog. Both a JetBlue A321ceo with IAE V2500s and an American A321neo with CFM Leaps. Southwest tends to do fast and furious takeoff rolls from OAK, they seem to get into the air quicker though the CFM56-7B/Leap-1B has less thrust on paper than the 5A/1A Airbus version.

Back