Quick Change Shop ruins engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a good deal to me. New engine for free? Score!

Just as long as the dealership monkeys are doing the work and not the quick lube monkeys. Oh, and as long as a brand new engine is installed. Not used.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Typical technician with zero pride in the work they do.

Why not just do it yourself and get it done correctly.

1. Apartment/Condo/Townhouse living
2. Physical issues
3. No interest in wrenching but still want to take care of the vehicle
4. Claustrophobia

Plenty of legit reasons.

Originally Posted By: thunderfog

2. Physical issues
4. Claustrophobia

Plenty of legit reasons.

ailurophobia, moriphobia.

2. Physical issues
4. Claustrophobia

Plenty of legit reasons.

5. It was 10 degrees with a -25 wind chill yesterday. That was the HIGH for the day!

Originally Posted By: Donald
After I start my vehicles I wait for the oil pressure to rise on the gauge, then look at the filter for a leak and under the vehicle for any leak.

Dont forget to rev it......when i revved my bike with two oil filter gaskets, thats when the oil came gushing out, rev it while looking for leaks. Also, on a car I had changed the oil on, i kept an eye on the drain plug, as the gasket was suspect and found that it only leaked oil when the oil was less viscous after having warmed up.

Same thing happened to a friend's es330 a couple years back. We were heading out for a jiu jitsu tournament that was about a 2 hour drive away so he decides to get his oil changed before we leave. Halfway there, BOOM, oil and all sorts of engine parts are spewing out from under the car. Turns out they had over tightened the plug and stripped the threads. Worked itself loose while we were driving and we lost all the oil.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

2. Physical issues
4. Claustrophobia

Plenty of legit reasons.

5. It was 10 degrees with a -25 wind chill yesterday. That was the HIGH for the day!

This is a good motivation for you to DIY

Last edited:

Plenty of legit reasons.

I just did all my car stuff when the apartment office was closed.

Originally Posted By: jsfalls
I work in a quick-lube shop, but I take the time to triple-check everything I touched. The problem comes from managers and customers wanting it done quicker than humanly possible, (add that up to how many cars they do every day and you can see why mistakes are made) but if someone is working on my car i'd rather them take the time than just try to rush it through.

I debated whether I should comment in this thread or not, but something has to be said in defense of the technicians. Most of the ones I've worked with are stand up guys who do take pride in their work, the ones that did not moved to another position or job. In my time supervising techs, we haven't had to replace a single engine - because they follow the company mandated checklist, and myself and another supervisor do frequent spot checks to follow up. Sure, mistakes will still happen, but generally the techs I've seen are pretty good at their jobs.

I've never rushed my techs, generally if there's a hold up - there's a reason to it. Nissan and Toyota full size trucks/suv's are notorious for having skid plates with several bolts holding them in place, and they have to come all the way off before you can start draining. Some odd ball vehicles just have filters in hard to reach places, or the filter was zipped on with an impact (nearly all Pennzoil yellow filters) and requires the grip of death with near super-human strength to get off.

Originally Posted By: jsfalls
I work in a quick-lube shop, but I take the time to triple-check everything I touched. The problem comes from managers and customers wanting it done quicker than humanly possible, (add that up to how many cars they do every day and you can see why mistakes are made) but if someone is working on my car i'd rather them take the time than just try to rush it through.

I think a lot of techs do want to do a good job, but the time pressure in this industry is unbelievable. All the customer cares about is quick and cheap, so that becomes the main objective for management and corporate. Mistakes can happen when you are trying to change oil in three cars at the same time and you have to get all of them out in 20 minutes or less...plus check the car over, top off fluids, air up tires, etc.

One chain I worked for kept very close track of ticket time. They would be all over the manager if the average ticket time was higher than what they thought was acceptable.

Then you have the clueless customers. They see someone with an I6 Cherokee get in and out in 15 minutes, so they start raising bloody [censored] about their car, with 300 bolts in its skid plate and a bottom mount cartridge filter with a seized on cap, taking 25. Try to explain why their car takes longer than 15 minutes and costs more than $15 to change the oil on, and they go off about how it's a rip off and you're making them late for this or that.

It is a thankless industry, and the customer demands speed more than quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back