Questions about Interval and Choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, I'm new to the forum but love your guys' expertise. I have a 1996 Jetta GL (4CL 2.0) with 86000 miles on it. To my knowledge, it has been driven purely on conventional oil with very good OCIs up to 82500. At 82500, I did a complete fill with Mobil 1 10W-30. Now I know not all of you love M1 but I have another 8 quarts around so I have at least two more oil changes on this oil. Right now there is a STP Oil Filter (I doubt the best choice, but it seems to be okay) on the car. So, as of now there's about 3500 on this interval. I drive probably 80 percent city, 20 percent highway and encounter quite a bit of stop and go as well as frequent shutting off and restarting. I drive the car nicely 'till it's warmed up (under 3000 RPM) and tend to be a little bit higher on the tach once it's warm. However, I think in general, I'm not extraordinarily hard on the car and rarely redline it. I drive to and from school each day which is 5 miles each way and do a fair amount of driving outside of that. I put on about 800-850 a month, in general. In addition to the M1 laying around (2 10W-30 and 6 5W-30 quarts), I have another STP filter and an M1 filter. My question to you guys is, when should I switch out this oil and/or filter? I've heard that filters don't last as long as the oil sometimes but am not sure. I'll be sure to check in if you guys need any more info, sorry if I missed anything. Thanks for the help!

welcome.gif

I think you will be fine with your current plan.

Ah Ha!!! You have been caught while driving under the influence of thin M1 oil!
grin.gif

If you're getting any kind of strange valvetrain noises; that's why!
tongue.gif

From Amsoil's site:

LUBRICANTS & FLUIDS
Engine Oil
Grade 1......API*
Synthetic 5W-40 European Engine Oil
0 To 30°F......30
-10 To 10°F......20W-20
Above 14°F......20W-40, 20W-50
Above 5°F......15W-40, 15W-50, 20W-40, 20W-50
Above 68°F......40
All Temps......5W-30, 5W-40, 10W-30, 10W-40[1]
All Temps......5W-50, 10W-50, 10W-60
Below 59°F......5W-30, 5W-40, 10W-30, 10W-40
Below 23°F......10W

I'm thinking I'd run 0W-40 or 5W-40 synthetic in the Winter; and then go 10W-40 conventional in the warmer months to save $$.
smile.gif

A heavy 30 weight like GC 0W-30 would be an option too.
smile.gif

At a 4.2 quart capacity, I'm thinking 5 quarts would be fine.
smile.gif

On a synthetic, any synthetic brand, you are safe to go 6000/6 months. Alot of people go 5000/5 months on conventional. Alot syn heads will go longer and want to get into oil anylasis and all that, but that generally ruins the cost savings of going with synthetic. 6/6 is safe, doubles the factory standards of 3000/3 months and I think you will get durability you are looking for, but thats my opinion.

Quote:

How come thin is so bad?

It's noisy; especially in engines that prefer heavier oils like the German engines do. If my car's manufacture said I could use 5W-40 or 10W-40; you bet your booty that's what I'd be using.

Hmmmm, what do the rest of you guys think? I also was curious as to the difference between the Mobil 1 and STP filter. The M1 feels about twice as heavy, but I'm really not sure. All advice is appreciated, thanks!

I'm not a mobil 1 user but I do think it is a good oil. If your car has any kind of warranty use the recommended intervals. If not, I think you would be safe taking it out to 7.5k with mobil 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back