Question on my gear oil....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess this falls under Motorcycles. Anyway, I have a '94 Honda Elite S (also know as a SA50P, or commonly a Honda Dio)

There is a small final drive case, that uses a little bit of oil. For the past two or three years I've had it filled with Amsoil 10w40 Motorcyle oil. Currently my little 49cc commuter is a 82cc big bore with 28mm carb, no oil injection, expansion chamber pipe, high speed variator, blah blah blah. Long story store it runs in 64-68mph range depending on how it feels. That final drive has is hot has [censored] after running it and I was thinking maybe I should run a heavy gear oil in it? I just don't know what to do because I can not find any actual information on what the original oil was supposed to be for the final drive. I don't want to put some super heavy oil that is going to reduce efficiency though. Any one have something like this or have any suggestions?

I don't have a bike like yours but on the housing of my old Goldwing it says to use 80/90 wt hypoid oil. And that's what I put in it. no problems. Your must have a factory recommendation somewhere. Do you have an owners or service manual? If you have 79/90 wt gear oil that would do the trick I would bet.,,

I have the original owners manual, but I swear it doesn't say what it is supposed to be. It's stupid because you have to remove to two covers, drain it, silicone, and then there is a fill plug. Similar to many differentials on trucks.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
I guess this falls under Motorcycles. Anyway, I have a '94 Honda Elite S (also know as a SA50P, or commonly a Honda Dio)

There is a small final drive case, that uses a little bit of oil. For the past two or three years I've had it filled with Amsoil 10w40 Motorcyle oil. Currently my little 49cc commuter is a 82cc big bore with 28mm carb, no oil injection, expansion chamber pipe, high speed variator, blah blah blah. Long story store it runs in 64-68mph range depending on how it feels. That final drive has is hot has [censored] after running it and I was thinking maybe I should run a heavy gear oil in it? I just don't know what to do because I can not find any actual information on what the original oil was supposed to be for the final drive. I don't want to put some super heavy oil that is going to reduce efficiency though. Any one have something like this or have any suggestions?

That is not a shaft drive scooter. That final drive is either a chain or straight-cut gears, the oil you are using is perfectly fine for that application. How much power can an 82cc 2 stroke engine make? IIRC, Amsoil 10w-40 would be just below 75w-90 gear oil in viscosity. No problems there.

I know its not shaft driven, and I guess I understand what you are saying as far as the gears go now that I picture them in my head. I'ts not like there is a pinion and ring gear. I was just unsure of what to use because like I said, the housing gets very hot. The original reason I used the AMSoil is because it's motorcylce oils also met I think GL3 gear specs ?Can't remember exactly.

I don't know about the Honda Dio, but the newer 49cc models (Metropolitan & Ruckus) both get 80w90 gear oil in the rear drive.

Actually I switched my Metropolitan over to Mobil 1 75w90 Synthetic gear oil - can't hurt to have Synthetic in it and many on here swear by it. If I wasn't such a tight-wad, i'd try the Royal Purple gear oil - but it's twice the price.

Although i'm sure the Amsoil you use is doing fine and will continue to do fine (it's very good stuff), face it - gear oil is for gears. Hard to go wrong there and I seriously doubt you would notice a change in efficiency either way.

Rob

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back