Question on freezer test..except warmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be very interested for you to continue your experiments with known used oils. I really wonder how well different oils maintain their cold properties when used.

If you are going to do more tests, dump a mix of two or more oils in a container and test to see if the cold flow properties changed.

Oil Changer,
in order to simulate what the miscibility test (ASTM D6922) does, the blend has to be heated (to 232C) as well to get any undesirable interactions that may happen in service out of the way.

Got to be careful with that, as it's in the zone of the flashpoint.

To push the issue, I used a high VI synthetic 5W50, and a 75W90 high VI semi synth gear oil with obviously incompatible additives...saw some interaction of bubbles/soap formation while doing it.

Both the mix, and the "cooked" mix do better at -20C than a 5W30 C3 that spent 500km being sliced and diced in the supercharger end case on my Caprice.

The permutations are endless.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
I would be very interested for you to continue your experiments with known used oils. I really wonder how well different oils maintain their cold properties when used.

I hadn't thought of that one..use an oil...take the sample headed to Blackstone, label it, collect a half dozen of them over the course of a summer, test them all in the freezer or outside when it gets cold.

I've already put up the virgin oils I plan on trying out during the next cold snap.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
If you are going to do more tests, dump a mix of two or more oils in a container and test to see if the cold flow properties changed.

I suppose I could. But I would expect that if I mixed on poor cold performing 5w with a better performing 5w all I would end up with is something in between the performance of those two individually. Is it your suspicion that the combination of different oils would somehow lead to a result WORSE than either two of the individual oils?

Yes, it ties into some discussion on mixing oils in other threads. As an example, I was suggesting you could mix your two best performing oils and compare that to your control oil.

Shannow (He understood what I was getting at.) pointed out that the oils have to be heated first for the experiment to be done correctly. You have to heat the oil almost to the point where it will catch fire, so take it from there.

Originally Posted By: RGR
Is it your suspicion that the combination of different oils would somehow lead to a result WORSE than either two of the individual oils?

Originally Posted By: RGR

I think we all suffer from a common mental defect of some sort. With any normal person, collecting some oil, those crazy little numbers printed on the bottle that occasionally might match the ones listed in the manual, and throwing it at the car sporadically when they remember is probably good enough for a long and happy relationship.

But the wife knows...when I go stand in the garage for minutes at a time, critically examining the shelves lined with a stash of various brands and weights of motor oil, old and new, balancing the right combination of pour point, Noack, weight, light/heavy considerations within a given grade, warranty requirements, vehicle usage over next OCI, expected temperature during the next OCI.... not to bother me... as I derive just sheer pleasure from being in the presence of my hoard, no different than Smaug under the mountain.

A mental defect I say.

The wife is happy that it doesn't involve drugs, prostitutes, bars, beating her or the kids, MMA fighting for a living, and that it is fundamentally a cheap hobby that ultimately results in a cost savings to the household.

Hilarious.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back