Question about by pass value settings

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father owns a Kubota M5400 tractor. We have always thought the oil filter for it was really small(and expensive!)for a diesel. So being the good son I am I did some checking around and lo and behold most Ford filters will fit it also. The only real diffrence is that the OEM filter has a by pass setting of 16 psi and most of the larger replacements I have found are 8-11 psi. What exactly does this do and what would be the results of using a filter with a lower setting?

Bypass pressure is the pressure differential between the inlet and out let that will cause the bypass valve to open.
Supposedly, it only opens when either the filter is too clogged to flow, or the oils viscosity is too thick (cold) to flow readily through the media.
Typical numbers I've seen posted for a "normal" pressure differential are around 2-4 PSI, on a "warmed up" engine.
The higher BPP will force a bit more cold oil through the media.
Personally, I wouldn't have any qualms about using the Ford type (especially if you can use an oversize one which would negate SOME of the PD due to the larger media area)
A MotorCraft FL-299 or equivalent, as found on the F-700 series Ford trucks, is about 7" long.
I would probably give the engine a couple more minutes warm up time in cold weather before placing it under heavy load. Trouble with diesels, is they can be slow to warm up when just idling.

An explanation of how bypass operates, and the significance of the pressure setting, can be found here:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=001081

The bypass settings for the "stock" replacement filters for my 2002 car vary from 8-22 psi, depending on filter manufacturer. High settings, such as for race cars and German engines, are often 30-33 psi. In short, I wouldn't worry about it -- anything in the 8-22 psi range is common. A boatload of info can be found through a "bypass valve" search under the "oil filter" category. Also, if you install a filter with substantially more area than stock, the bypass setting becomes somewhat less significant since bypass conditions are less likely. Small media areas will clog faster and/or hold back oil during throttle jabs and high RPMs, while large area medias can partially overcome such flow impediments simply due to the larger filtering surface area available for a given volume of pumped oil.

[ June 18, 2004, 05:46 PM: Message edited by: TC ]

Thanks for helping explain this to me. Another problem may be the filter comes off the side of the block and does'nt need to be too long.(It don't need to stick out where it may get damaged somehow) If I use Wix part numbers the stock(51311) length is 3.372". 51068 is 4.338"(about 1/3 more fiter area) and 51515 is 5.178. (almost 2/3 more) I don't know if I want to go any longer, but I'm sure either of these would be better than the small filter that is on there now.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back