Quench Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kestas

Staff member
One of my clients reported water dripping into the quench oil they use to heat treat steel. The steel product is very sensitive to quench severity, and he's worried that the water may change the characteristics of the quench oil. I believe the water simply settles at the bottom of the tank away from the quenching action where it won't be a problem in small amounts.

Is it possible that oil can "pick up" water and have an elevated water content in the base oil?

Even though some fluids can seperate water and oil such as specialized gear oils,when the oil is not being used for awhile, the agitation from the process of hardening will cause it to mix.

In the case of quench oil, water from oil contamination or degradation, may cause soft spots, uneven hardness, and staining in this process. If water-contaminated oil is heated a crackling sound may be heard.

There is set allowed contamination limits for water in quench oil and you can have it tested for water contamination. I'm not totally sure if there is a newer test available but one Common laboratory tests for water contamination is/was the Karl Fisher analysis(ASTM D1744).

[ September 26, 2002, 07:52 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Bob, you're right on the money with your reply. After posting, I found the same answer (with more detail) in some books I got my hands on. My client does have a potential problem. We do have a Karl Fisher analysis available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back