PYB is a LOT quieter than Castrol

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the PYB was replaced with RP a war would break out in here with all the placebo comments.
I've tried PYB, QS, and Edge plus many more and without a doubt Royal Purple is the quietest and smoothest oil I have run and I run my RP to 12,000 miles and it's stays this way throughout the OCI.

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
Merk, I hope you don't have ME on ignore. I'm tempted to try that smooth Supertech Synthetic 5 30 in my old beater Honda.

I have NOBODY on ignore. That's the most insulting thing you can do to somebody.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I have NOBODY on ignore. That's the most insulting thing you can do to somebody.

I agree. The "internet ignore" is the worst!

I'm running 5W-20 Edge in my Fiesta. It's been in there for roughly 3,500 miles. I took over the vehicle & ran 5W-20 SynPower & Hastings Filter for 5K & then changed to the Edge 5W-20 & Fram Tough Guard. Engine doesn't seem any noisier or quieter on the Edge than it was on SynPower. I'm planning to run this Edge for 8,000. The 1.6L is really noisy but so are most engines that specify 20 weight oil, seems like it to me. Not sure what oil I'll put in the Fiesta next, probably Pennzoil Platinum since that's becoming my go-to oil.

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
I always thought that Quaker State Green bottle and PYB gave almost the exact same Blackstone lab results??

Yep. I think they're more similar than they are different.
wink.gif

deven: Actually, I'm advocating a buddy use 0w-20 RP in his Ford right now. He insists upon a synthetic and doesn't feel like buying in bulk (i.e. from the distributor), and he hates Walmart and Canadian Tire, and he wants 1 quart bottles instead of jugs, given the sump is 6 quarts. So, given that RP is sensibly priced from my one supplier, that's what I recommended.

Merk I may be wrong but I think car51 means ignore in terms of just not paying no mind to what you post. Not the permanent "ignore" function on here. Again, I may be wrong but I think that's what's going on here.

Car51 has his right to his observations and opinions. I will say that Royal Purple 5w30 that ran in my car got to where it had a lot of valve train noise the second time I ran it. I changed it out to Castrol w titanium gold bottle and the valve train noise was gone. I had never noticed it before or since. Having said that I believe Royal Purple is a very good oil. It may have been a faulty Fram Ultra ?? Though I highly doubt that. I believe it was just the RP flowing so well it was off the top end of the motor and back into the sump. I will try the RP HPS version in the future due to the fact I believe RP is a fine product.

I do think there are some differences between oils in cara and how they sound at times. Or lack of oil can cause sound changes too. I drive my step fathers Avalon last November. I hadn't driven that car in 2 yrs. I noticed the motor being a bit noisy which wasn't the norm. I pulled the stick. No oil. I went and bought 2 quarts and put it in the car. Back to normal sound in the car. Quiet again.

car51, I don't think you realize what you're doing. In the world of internet forums, putting somebody on your ignore list is no joke.
confused2.gif

I could care less, on other forums I have a couple on my ignore list...

Originally Posted By: Garak
qwerty1234 said:
I always thought that Quaker State Green bottle and PYB gave almost the exact same Blackstone lab results??

Yep. I think they're more similar than they are different.
wink.gif

Good to see we agree on something!

Originally Posted By: car51
So Friday night I decided to change the edge SN black jug 5w20 garbage out of the Focus as it was getting kinda klacky like valve train noisy with it. Following some knowledgeable members advice to try PYB; I put some PYB 5w20 in. After a day of driving over 65 miles total, the valve train noisy ness is GONE. Here on out in my fleet it will be QSGB or PYB

Rant over

I'll tell you what car51, I will send you Royal Purple 5w20 HPS on my dime once you're done with this OCI of PYB. All you have to do is start a thread here and document how you perceived RP to be in your engine compared to PYB or Castrol or any other oil. PM if you're interested.

PYB 5W-30 would be even quieter....

PYB 10W-30 gets even quieter than that....

Since 5W-30 and 10W-30 are both the same at operating temperature, please explain how 10W-30 could be "quieter" than 5W-30?

I am really interested in hearing this.

Geez, another "this oil is quieter than another oil".

If both oils are of the same viscosity, you won't "hear" the difference.

Originally Posted By: stchman

I can't agree with that statement since IMO there is more to oil than just the viscosity.

That being said - much of this is subjective. I've personally never been crazy about Castrol oil - tried it in 3 or 4 of my cars. Is it a bad oil? No! It's just not the one I prefer or the one I think works the best for me. I don't bad mouth it - but I wouldn't recommend it either.

The o/p was merely stating his opinion - though I think he could have left out the term "garbage"
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc
Originally Posted By: stchman

I can't agree with that statement since IMO there is more to oil than just the viscosity.

That being said - much of this is subjective. I've personally never been crazy about Castrol oil - tried it in 3 or 4 of my cars. Is it a bad oil? No! It's just not the one I prefer or the one I think works the best for me. I don't bad mouth it - but I wouldn't recommend it either.

The o/p was merely stating his opinion - though I think he could have left out the term "garbage"
smile.gif

Please elaborate on how Castrol "didn't work for you"? What did it not do that another conventional oil did do? I am curious.

People use their feelings and emotions when it comes to choosing oil. Choosing oil should be more of a logical decision.

From another forum I frequent but this is an older post(4yrs):

Quote:
Dump the Castrol and try Motorcraft 5w20. or even Mobil clean 5000 5w20 to see if anything changes.

I've had issues with Castrol when I had my Integra. On the first valve adjustment, I pulled the valve cover and found what I can describe as "dirt tracks" on the underside, from the oil being spun by the cams. I was beyond anal retentive with that car and it never saw a mile over 3k on changes. I stopped using Castrol after that.

Post was from a moderator on an Accord forum who works on cars for a living, very knowledgeable guy imo.

Quote:
Castrol (as well as Valvoline) has had a recent history of not passing all of the specs they claim to "exceed".

Based on their product data sheets, the oil is slightly thicker than other brands at both hot and cold, and the colder it gets the thicker it is. Their 5w20 is actually much thicker at very, very cold temps than their 5w30.

It could be draining out of the vtc actuator more easily. It could be as simple as that. or not.

I'd be looking at the following oils:

Shell and their sister brands, Pennzoil and Quaker State. (both are owned by Shell)
The Shell oil is usually less expensive, but just as good.
Motorcraft Semi Syn 5w20 and other ConocoPhillips oils. It seems now that's who makes MC oil, as well as Honda's US factory fill and dealer oil.

Originally Posted By: car51
U asked this question already! Yes, replaced it with a tough guard for crimes sake!

Haha, I totally missed that, sorry!

FWIW, only you seem to be taking people's posts personally. I don't understand why you and others get your ire up after people post their opinions on...a public forum. No one means you any harm or disrespect - we're either curious or skeptical, both of which run rampant on the interwebs.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I don't understand why you and others get your ire up after people post their opinions on...a public forum. No one means you any harm or disrespect - we're either curious or skeptical, both of which run rampant on the interwebs.

Because they think their pet aspect is really important and they can't understand why you don't agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back