PYB is a LOT quieter than Castrol

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt the 5w20 Edge synthetic was sheared down. It's unlikely that would account for the noise.

Originally Posted By: Garak
How, with it being the same viscosity at operating temperature as the 5w-30?

In the long run, 10W-30 would be quieter because it wouldn't shear as much.

This place amazes me somedays. I'll stick with PYB/QS/Conoco Phillips stuff. Least I know that stuff does NOT act like what I just ran two times!

Garak is my counterbalance. He keeps me in check; otherwise I'd be running amuck on this board.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
PYB 5W-30 would be even quieter....

PYB 10W-30 gets even quieter than that....

How, with it being the same viscosity at operating temperature as the 5w-30?

Cold tick?

Originally Posted By: car51
This place amazes me somedays. I'll stick with PYB/QS/Conoco Phillips stuff. Least I know that stuff does NOT act like what I just ran two times!

My general consensus is thicker oil for louder engines and thinner oil for cold tick.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
That same Focus in Australia would have 5W-30 on its oil cap.
grin2.gif

Yep most Ford Focus take 5W-30 in Australia, but they should have a picture of a oil can on the fill cap. No numbers.

We prefer the "don't ask, don't tell" rule when it comes to oil. That way we can run GTX 15W-40 in everything, or semi-synthetic 10W-40 if we feel our car is special.

No noise or consumption problems when you run a 40 weight.

Merk, give up them light weight ILSAC 10W-30 oils and run something with a bit of body behind it.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I think as well the oil was wore out. I know people on here try to stretch the oil to the limit, why I am not sure. Oil is cheap. But new oil v.s old oil and the new always sounds smoother. I have noticed thicker makes quieter too. I wouldn't give Castrol a bad name over it.

Right.

Gotta compare new oil vs new oil. Old oil vs old oil.

But, yea, new oil always feels good. Just like coming out of a shower and the
towel is nice & warm. Versus a cold towel.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
Merk: my ford says to use 5w20; NOT 10w or 5w30. Nice try though hahaha!

My Hyundai has 5w-20 on the fill cap and Hyundai recommends Quaker State oil (in the book).
So I been running 5w-30 PYB. 97k+ on the clock and still on original engine.

Last edited:
I am just amazed that people don't realize that with a "good synthetic" in 5,000 highway miles with abode freezing temps j have had a lot of valve train noise with this "oil". QSGB, and MC 5w30 never, ever did this either. Let's get real folks

Mine was pretty noisy with 10w-30 conventional. Pennzoil Pure Plus GTL 0w-20 is pretty quiet in it, as is most other 5 and 0w 20s I have.

But I just bought a bunch of 5w30 Pennzoil Platinum so guess that is what I will be using next!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back