Purolator use decreasing here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
That said, even the FL-820S, a non-exotic filter and a pretty good "value" filter, handles long drain intervals incredibly well as demonstrated by a number of members here, particularly 2010_FX4, who has run long drain intervals with them and done plenty of "cut and posts".

Apples and oranges IMO. The 820s is an OEM filter designed to go the full OCI of the vehicle per the OLM which could be well over 10k. MC filters are a value, but I don't consider them value "jobber" filters like the Classic, Fram PH, Pro Select, Drive Works, STP etc. They are also constructed of different media.. How different? Who knows. The Classic is good for that too apparently, but it has too many grey areas in terms of when or when not to use a P1 vs. a Classic IMO. If one was to have an engine failure due to a Classic being ran too long, I bet Purolator would just either not respond to the email or say the filter was misused. I honestly like how Fram categorized their filters by intended usage. Very dummy proof and easy to determine correct usage. Plus as I said before, the ADBV of the Classic would most likely be as stiff as a dog toy after that use 10k+.

Its interesting to see how this thread turned around.. Decreasing use in Purolator filters to how long it is safe to run a classic filter which is determinded by reading between the lines of a company with a [censored] poor reputation in customer service.

OVERKILL, realistically, how long would you consider running a classic anyways? (Assuming they aren't known to tear within the first few hundred miles of normal use.)

OVERKILL, it sounds like you're working through the disconnect.

The OEM's are indeed different from the entry level aftermarket filters as you outline.

The TG's and the Purolator built Motorcrafts are the new "entry level" filters suitable for longer OCI's.

The premium filters using synthetic media are even better.

You'll see the current crop of value priced filters disappear in a decade or two when the 5,000 mile OCI is a thing of the past.

Again, in the interim, the filter manufacturers are trying to communicate the capabilities of their filters right now with their product packaging.

They are segmenting the oil filter market, and their customers, based on anticipated OCI.

And that is patently true.....

But the construction in most of these filters (except the Euro ones which we've already discussed) aren't much different than the OEM filters. If there was a big difference I'd agree with you, but I don't see that difference. What I see is a short list of premium aftermarket filters designed and marketed for extended drain intervals beyond the OEM OCI and the majority of the filters, everything ranging from the FRAM orange can to the Purolator Classic and PureONE filters, being designed and marketed for the factory OCI.

This is a good point. All the vehicle manufacturers rate their OEM filters to do the oil filter change intervals they recommend - meaning they could be as high as 10,000+ miles, and those filters aren't even what I'd call "extended drain" oil filters.

So is SilverC6 essentially saying Purolators are complete junk and can't even do the same change interval as any given OEM filter, and instead should only be used for 3K miles. That's what his "argument" basically boils down to it sounds like to me. Kind of funny.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
That said, even the FL-820S, a non-exotic filter and a pretty good "value" filter, handles long drain intervals incredibly well as demonstrated by a number of members here, particularly 2010_FX4, who has run long drain intervals with them and done plenty of "cut and posts".

Apples and oranges IMO. The 820s is an OEM filter designed to go the full OCI of the vehicle per the OLM which could be well over 10k. MC filters are a value, but I don't consider them value "jobber" filters like the Classic, Fram PH, Pro Select, Drive Works, STP etc. They are also constructed of different media.. How different? Who knows. The Classic is good for that too apparently, but it has too many grey areas in terms of when or when not to use a P1 vs. a Classic IMO. If one was to have an engine failure due to a Classic being ran too long, I bet Purolator would just either not respond to the email or say the filter was misused. I honestly like how Fram categorized their filters by intended usage. Very dummy proof and easy to determine correct usage. Plus as I said before, the ADBV of the Classic would most likely be as stiff as a dog toy after that use 10k+.

Regarding the comment above in red. As said many times, it clearly says on the Purolator website that their Classic and PureOne can be used - and will be covered under their warranty - for the duration that the vehicle manufacturer recommends using an oil filter for. No different than what a vehicle manufacturer recommends for the use of their OEM oil filters.

Apples and oranges IMO. The 820s is an OEM filter designed to go the full OCI of the vehicle per the OLM which could be well over 10k. MC filters are a value, but I don't consider them value "jobber" filters like the Classic, Fram PH, Pro Select, Drive Works, STP etc. They are also constructed of different media.. How different? Who knows. The Classic is good for that too apparently, but it has too many grey areas in terms of when or when not to use a P1 vs. a Classic IMO.

They aren't really apples to oranges. The FL-820S is just a much better value because of the extra "features" like the threaded-end bypass (a Ford-spec thing that even none of the premium aftermarket filters for that app have BTW) and the silicone ADBV, which is meant to deal with the bleed-down issue that causes start-up rattle on the Modular.

Efficiency-wise, they are very similar. The FL-820S uses Ford-spec media, which, based on the latest rash of tears, appears to be better than the Classic (and PureONE) media. But the efficiency, as I noted, is quite comparable. And also, the Classic and PureONE have the same warranty, LOL! Neither are designed to be run longer than the factory OCI. The difference between the two really comes down to the silicone ADBV and the more efficient media in the PureONE. The former being the reason Purolator, IMHO, recommends the PureONE for vehicles that see more than 15K in annual mileage (due to the hardening of the nitrile unit).

Also, if we were to bring the cheapo FRAM's into the mix, again, very comparable efficiency-wise. None of the FRAM offerings, not even the Ultra, have the threaded-end bypass.

But if we move past the FL-820S, which we all acknowledge to be a great value, what about the Honda, Hyundai and Toyota OEM filters? Construction-wise there is far less of a difference between them and their aftermarket brethren. They are nothing special. And the efficiency on some of them is abysmal.
21.gif

'
If one was to have an engine failure due to a Classic being ran too long, I bet Purolator would just either not respond to the email or say the filter was misused.

Yes, I bet they would be difficult but they cannot say it was misused if the manual was followed for OCI length. How they are in dealing with warranty issues is another thing all together than what their warranty says. Which is a bit of a nod to just using OEM filters IMHO.

I honestly like how Fram categorized their filters by intended usage. Very dummy proof and easy to determine correct usage. Plus as I said before, the ADBV of the Classic would most likely be as stiff as a dog toy after that use 10k+.

True on the ADBV, but many of the OEM ADBV's aren't silicone either. The MOPAR filters use nitrile for example. The silicone ADBV is IIRC, primarily a Ford thing.

And even with FRAM, despite their marketing "spin":

Originally Posted By: FRAM
FRAM EXTRA GUARD® Oil Filter

For everyday drivers who perform routine maintenance on their vehicle every 3,000-5,000 miles.1 Extra Guard is engineered for use with conventional oil.

The reference for that little "1" states:

Quote:
1 Follow recommended change intervals as noted in your vehicle owner's manual

Because the filter manufacturer cannot REQUIRE you to change the filter sooner than the OEM dictates. In order to qualify as an OEM replacement part, it MUST be suitable for the OEM change intervals.

Its interesting to see how this thread turned around.. Decreasing use in Purolator filters to how long it is safe to run a classic filter which is determinded by reading between the lines of a company with a [censored] poor reputation in customer service.

OVERKILL, realistically, how long would you consider running a classic anyways? (Assuming they aren't known to tear within the first few hundred miles of normal use.)

I think the thread got interesting
smile.gif

If I was a person inclined to run cheap filters (I'm not), I would run a Classic on any application that it was spec'd for for the duration listed in the manual. UNLESS it was an application that is known for ADBV issues (like a Modular).

So, I'd run one on the Charger for example, with no concerns, for a 10,000Km (not miles) OCI. Even with the nitrile ADBV because the filter is threads-up, making the ADBV issue moot and the factory filter is really very similar in construction (I cut and posted one recently).

On the other hand, there is no Classic for my M5, and the FRAM is a just a re-boxed MANN.

But I would not run one on the Expedition and in fact I've pretty much shied away from all aftermarket filters in that application due to the benefits and value the FL-820S offers.

I think we often forget that many of the filters we discuss on here (FRAM ULtra, AMSOIL EaO, Royal Purple...etc) are actually significantly BETTER than the OEM filters for most applications, particularly the Asian ones I've already touched-on. In those cases, the filters like the Classic, Fram PH line...etc really ARE a direct replacement for OEM and in some cases actually offer higher efficiency.

Fleets of cabs, police and limo's use those cheap filters at the factory OCI length successfully for insane amounts of mileage. It is because we obsess over the minutia on BITOG that our views are so jaded. It doesn't make us wrong, but it does bring one to pause and consider the actual relevance. If Jim Bob can get 200,000 miles out of his 4.6L changing PYB and Orange Can's at the interval dictated in the manual, where is the added value I'm getting out of using an FL-820S and Mobil 1? Yes, my engine will be cleaner at the same mileage, but if it isn't the engine failing that ultimately is the demise of the vehicle then what have I accomplished? It is that kind of stuff that we need to be considering IMHO.

This doesn't mean I'm going to change my habits BTW
wink.gif
I'm using a FRAM Ultra and AFE 0w-20 in the Charger, FL-820S and the rest of my PU 5w-30 in the Expedition at the moment. But I am definitely aware of the fact that buddy using whatever he found on sale at Walmart with a matching screaming orange can will probably get the same life out of his vehicle. My buddy's brother blew up his F-250 the year before last because the shop forgot to put oil in it after changing it. It spent its life with the oil being changed at like Jiffy Lube or something following the interval dictated by Ford. It had something like 600,000Km on it on what we would consider a "junk" combo.

And then we've got our own Dave Newton running what we all consider insane OCI's using the very "junk" we are discussing here
21.gif

Because the filter manufacturer cannot REQUIRE you to change the filter sooner than the OEM dictates. In order to qualify as an OEM replacement part, it MUST be suitable for the OEM change intervals.

Another good point made.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
OVERKILL, it sounds like you're working through the disconnect.

The OEM's are indeed different from the entry level aftermarket filters as you outline.

I think you misread what I said. I stated that many (most?) of the OEM filters are NOT much different from the entry-level aftermarket filters.

There are some filters (like the FL-820S) that offer a better VALUE, because of their added features, but from a media point of view, they are actually quite similar.

Most OEM filters don't have those same "value added" features though.

Some examples from our own board:
Mopar filter, looks like a Puro Classic:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...ood#Post3533884

AC Delco filters. Look like standard Champ Labs E-Core and non-Ecore filters:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...48_#Post3526113

My Mopar filter, looks like a standard WIX:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...pen#Post3497168

Honda A02, looks like your typical FRAM:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...p;a#Post3482995

Nissan filter, similar to a FRAM, completely with nitrile ADBV:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3457139/Nissan_oil_filters#Post3457139

Subaru filter, basic FRAM, complete with nitrile ADBV:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...cut#Post3424011

And of course there are plenty of other examples on here.
smile.gif

So many quotes to sift through!

Good point about the nitrile rubber ADBV in OEM filters. I saw a Mopar filter for the 3.8 get ran over 10,000 on here so I assume it was still okay. I wonder if different filters have different grades of nitrile rubber? At that point, I'd upgrade to silicone personally.

I think it's impressive seeing ST dino and an FL400s can get ran as long as dnewton proved, but I could never bring myself to do that. I'm too paranoid plus I enjoy oil changes too much. If anyone is worried about MC filter or ST oil quality, they should be refered to his UOA.

Breaking news
We have a new 15k go to filter-the Classic
Now I can switch from Ultras and save a bunch of money
Why didnt I see this sooner
Thanks

I did not examine this filter until a couple of days after I performed and oil n filter change and the filter now in the car is again Purolator Classic. It is possible the problems with this filter were caused by a faulty by pass valve which is located in the filter cap of my ecotec engine. I really have no choice but to change the cap/bypass valve and the filter once more.

Purolator is sending a "retrieval kit" which I will be happy to send back to them and I will ask that I be informed as to their conclusions. We will see what the future may bring and I'll post any new information as it becomes available.

Have a great day guys.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Breaking news
Thanks

Exactly....

Looks like the college kids running junk oil and junk filters 20,000 miles were right all along.

And I thought all that smoke coming from their car's exhaust pipes was a bad thing.

I'm done with $10 oil filters and $25/jug synthetic oil.

Anyone know where I can get a case of that Bullseye motor oil?

Everclear or City Star would do if either of them is BMW LL-01 spec.

I would trust the design of the classic if the pleats were tight and even. No "V" shaped pleats and no uneven spacing.

It's *not* the design that's faulty in the failures we've seen, it's the manufacturing.

I absolutely LOVED the 14612 in the Subaru application. What a well built filter... until the pleating got all out of whack.

Breaking news

Well, simply put, if the Classic cannot go 15,000 miles, then Purolator had better never specify it for a vehicle that happens to have a 15,000 mile OCI. It really is that simple.

Look at many of the European vehicles. Even my old Audi had no Purolator Classic (or North American Bosch) listed. It was only German Bosch or German Mann from the Purolator lines at the time, and those were totally different than a Purolator Classic.

If Japanese and American vehicle OCIs are extending the way the European OCIs did a number of years back, it is obviously time for Purolator to once again reevaluate their application guide.

Originally Posted By: Garak

If Japanese and American vehicle OCIs are extending the way the European OCIs did a number of years back, it is obviously time for Purolator to once again reevaluate their application guide.

I believe all commercial value-priced oil filter manufacturers need to catch up with the trend in the new car market toward extended OCI's.

In the meantime, the advisory on the box, whether 3,000 miles, 5,000 miles, or 10,000 miles, is enough for me to select the appropriate filter for my expected OCI.

That's the filter manufacturer telling you how much confidence they have in their product.

The advisory on boxes does have some merit, I'd agree. Even some OEM filters make me hesitate. I've never had an issue with Motorcraft filters. I had complete confidence in AC filters before, but this trend to Ecores combined with longer OCIs makes me wonder. I'd use an AC classic style in a second in either of my vehicles (even an Ecore at a severe service OCI). At a 10,000 mile OCI, I'd prefer to not be using an Ecore.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
That's the filter manufacturer telling you how much confidence they have in their product.

The filter manufacture also saying their filter "meets or exceeds OEM specifications" or "change the oil filter per the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations" is also telling you "how confident" they are in their product.

If any entry level filter can go as long as the car manufacturer dictates then why do we have different levels of mileage?
Please explain why you think a Classic is just as good as an Ultra or any other top tier filter for runs of 15k

If any entry level filter can go as long as the car manufacturer dictates then why do we have different levels of mileage?
Please explain why you think a Classic is just as good as an Ultra or any other top tier filter for runs of 15k

The most likely response to this is that Purolator doesnt have a filter spec'd for a car with that sort of factory OCI. My only concern would be something with an OLM. I imagine they can reach 10k+.

I think part of the issue is you have some filters that are cross-referenced to a number of applications.

The filter for a 5,000 mile OCI car built in 2004 also fits a 2014 car with a generous OLM and a 1972 pick up with a 2,500 mile change recommendation.

I think that's when you, the consumer, have to use the sense the good Lord gave you and choose a suitable filter for your OCI.

That might include a OCOD for the pick up, a Tough Guard for the 2004, and an Ultra for the new car with the OLM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back