Purolator Premium Plus Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lately, my Purolator Premium Plus oil filters have been failing before I am ready for an oil filter. What has happened, every time, is the anti drain back valve has failed causing lifter clatter at start up.

On my Chevy Cavalier 2.4l DOHC the failure occurs about 7k to 8k into my 10k OCI’s. I am now experiencing this for the third time in a row.

In my Ford Explorer V6, it has happened twice in a row, but I drive that one much less these days.

I switched the Ford over to an Autolite filter available at Wal-Mart this oil change, no problems so far.

For my Cavalier, I am thinking about switching to the Mobil 1 filter even though it is considerably more expensive. But once I consider the cost of a new filter and ¾ a quart of M1, the extra cost is nearly a wash.

Purolator PP’s have been good filters for me in the past, but lately I have been having these problems with them. Has anyone else experienced this?

My experience with these has been limited to 3 Advance Auto filters and 1 PP over the last 4 months. I have not heard any unusual clatter at startup. I've been pretty content with them. I really like the AAP grip.

If you like Purolator, and are doing 10k OCIs, you may want to consider using one of their filters that uses a silicone adbv like a PureOne or a Bosch (made by Purolator). Good luck.

Quote:

Do you change them before 10k miles? My problems arise around 8k miles.

As others have said, you need a filter with a silicon ADBV. Your service subjects the nitrile ADBV to too much heat over too long a duration for it to remain flexible or in its original shape.

I do applaud your longer OCI. I would definitely use a top tier filter for this length of service.

Quote:

Quote:

I do applaud your longer OCI.

That OCI is beyond my comprehension.

laugh.gif

10k OCI is like going to a wedding...yours! long, boring and you'd rather be dead then go though with it!
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I did not know Autolite filters were made by Fram.

The 10k OCI's have been going well for me and my Cavalier. I use M1 10w-30 in it. I have 9200 miles on this current change. The oil is brown but clear enough to easily read my dipstick. I have been using this oci for the last 50,000 miles. The engine has nearly 150,000 miles on and runs great. The manual calls for 4.5 quarts with a new filter. I just dump in the 5 quart bottle and the level is still above full at this time.

I am planning to use the PureOne filter next time for the better adbv. I was originally using M1EP but didn't think the extra cost was worth it so went back to regular old M1.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back