Purolator Part #s for Mazda 3 Skyactiv 2.0 Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am surprised to learn that there are others out there who enjoy pushing their cars' handling limits. I mean, what is the point of having a car that handles well if you don't have some fun with it now and then - in an environment that does not pose risk to others, of course.

yup, driving is important to me. Its not something one does while talking on the phone, eating a burger, applying make up etc. Only when you know what your car's limitations are, can you really start trusting its reactions.

Originally Posted By: T_CUDA
I think you would be very happy with the pure-one

Already am lol. Use it in my Acura all the time. Just want to make sure the part numbers work since the skyactiv tech is a fairly new technology. Currently I have Puro Classic waiting to go in.

Please do not take offense, but "Skyactiv" is simply a marketing term for an all inclusive press for efficiency.

It is not revolutionary engine technology, simply an evolutionary progression.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Please do not take offense, but "Skyactiv" is simply a marketing term for an all inclusive press for efficiency.

LOL , none taken. What I meant was the engine is a new model and seems the aftermarket hasnt completely caught up yet. Especially since many of my cross references pull up different filter.

For eg. Purolator recommends L14612 for this engine. Cross reference that to wix and we have 51365 as the cross reference. However Wix recommends you use 57002 for this application. And this filter doesnt cross reference with ANYTHING out there. All part numbers listed by M1 and Fram for the skyactiv engine cross reference with Wix 51365.

This is making my head hurt .........

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Right. I actually think it's kind of a dumb English translation of the Japanese term. I honestly thought it was some kind of electronics package when I first saw an ad.

It's fun to drive, but it lacks that sweet, satisfying sound my 89 Accord LXi's engine made when you put your foot in it. It was a smooth, melodious sound somewhat like the BMW 320's of the time period. It continued to sound that good for all the time I owned it. While the Mazda is fun and has more gadgetry on it I am still feeling that it's more of an "appliance" for me. Of course, I am sometimes slow to adjust to change.

Originally Posted By: bourne
wait till it speaks to you. In terms of handling, nothing I have ever driven made by Honda comes close.

You didn't drive S2000, did you ?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: bourne
wait till it speaks to you. In terms of handling, nothing I have ever driven made by Honda comes close.

You didn't drive S2000, did you ?

Lol sorry , I should rephrase that. Nothing FWD made by Honda ( including Civic Si ) comes close to Mazda in terms of handling. First Gen TSX comes very close but still misses the crispness of Mazda.

Ya, give it some time. I love my son's although he only has the MZR. Ride is better than my G5 and he has 18s on it. Handling is very nice and will improve a bit with new tires, the used ones he got with the rims are beat. Part of my fondness comes from not having my own 5-speed anymore but still a nice car.

I love manual transmissions, I learned driving on one. Unfortunately my gf doesnt know how to use one. Had it been my car, would have definitely gotten a touring with 6 speed trans. Mazda gearshifts are nice and smooth anyways, so would have been fun rowing my own gears. In terms of drivetrain refinement, the engine and auto work really well together. Manu-matic control is excellent and fast for auto. Downshifts are rev matched and upshifts are actually faster than VW DSG according to Mazda.

Have you ever driven an Accord LXi (3rd gen, 86-89)? They had rather complicated suspension setups compared to other cars in the class. Excellent handling without ABS or ETC. I am thinking the Mazda may "speak" to me with its next set of tires. It is not bad, though.

Lol I dont have that much patience. I sold the OE tires for $200 to a friend for her civic. With employee rebates and regular rebates on Goodyear card, I ended up paying $137 for the set of 4 tires with lifetime rotate+balance. For that price it was a no brainer for us.

I have driven them , except its very hard to find one thats been maintained perfectly and actually drives today like it did when it was introduced. Personally I prefer cars with least amount of funky electronics and gizmos and such. These days the "electronic blanket" takes too much away from the driving experience. Also lulls drivers into a false sense of security. When I teach my kids how to drive, I will be making sure its on the simpler vehicles around, without any driving aids. Skill > Electronics ( except for Nissan GTR lol )

I kept the Accord up well, replacing suspension parts as they became worn with quality (think Moog and TRW) replacements. Still, I did have issues with noisy bushings that were resolved over time with some frustrated effort. Perhaps the simpler (for me) suspension setup I have now will prove to be better.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I kept the Accord up well, replacing suspension parts as they became worn with quality (think Moog and TRW) replacements. Still, I did have issues with noisy bushings that were resolved over time with some frustrated effort. Perhaps the simpler (for me) suspension setup I have now will prove to be better.

Yup that is one complaint I have about my Acura, the temperature affects the NVH considerably. The car does not like being driven at city speeds. It loves to be out on the hwy , grand touring style. And now I have an annoying low volume screech from the rf during winter months and I cant figure out from where that is coming. Everything is tight as can be on the front end.

Don't even get me started on how hard it is to get control arm bushings to be quiet once the car reaches a certain age. For me, that age was 15 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back