Purolator ONE. Did I just make a mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Nick1994
I'd be tossing them in the garbage.

Don't toss in the garbage. Every city has a Missionary-type Center or three for the poor to shop at & use.
Donate them! That's what I did with a Motorcraft, AC Delco and even a Fram Ultra.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by Nick1994
I'd be tossing them in the garbage.

Don't toss in the garbage. Every city has a Missionary-type Center or three for the poor to shop at & use.
Donate them! That's what I did with a Motorcraft, AC Delco and even a Fram Ultra.

I agree. I've done this has well. Donate them. I gave mine to a store called The Restore.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

I think in this case I will keep the one Purolator ONE on my Accord for this single OCI, and then switch it out again with a Fram Ultra. (Usually I had been running the Ultras for 2 OCs, changing filter every-other time). Not worth wasting $22 of brand new oil and a new filter and time involved to change it right now due to fear from BITOG lore.

However I am hesitant enough with the lore to NOT use the other P ONE that I have on the shelf. Will see if I might be able to swap it out at the store I bought it from towards a Fram Ultra, or if not will either donate it or sell it on Ebay.

I just assumed that Purolator would have gotten their act together in the past few years so figured the 10K mile blue can "ONE" would have fixed any issues we saw on the old PureOnes. I guess I really shouldn't have strayed from just using the Fram Ultras that I had been enjoying over the past couple years. Oh well, will fix the mistake.

Oh boy! I read a lot about white colored cans, red colored cans, etc. What I know about the current BLUE colored PureOnes is that they are excellent. As is the Purolator BOSS. Years ago I posted the beta ratios for the PureOne, and to my knowledge no other cans have matched it. If a tear does occure (sic) it is a rare thing. I remember a news story of a guy who just bought a new 2015 Corvette and taking it from the dealership he floored it - and the engine exploded. Rare things happen to everything. How many of you guys who are divorced remember that when you got married, she was the "perfect" one? Oh well! If the Purolator PureOne isn't the best, it is one of the best.

Or you can just buy a Wix oil filter from O'Reillys or Rock Auto and be done with it.

By the way, on Purolator's site they state about their PureOne: "Re-engineered high-density synthetic blend media". Key word here is "re-engineered." I believe any worries about tearing have been put to rest.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SHAMUS
By the way, on Purolator's site they state about their PureOne: "Re-engineered high-density synthetic blend media". Key word here is "re-engineered." I believe any worries about tearing have been put to rest.

You might believe that but I wouldn't. What indication is there that the issue was a material one rather than a process or manufacturing problem?

Purolator denied the problem. Their attitude is don't cut open our filters and there is no problem. It is a manufacturing problem with Purolator, as most if not all the tears are in the same place at the glued end cap next to the metal crimp. It's a cheap thin filter element, look at the photos posted over the years. It's all about profit at the end users expense. Pure 1's are junk sold as up level. I bought one right when tears started being reported, pulled it, cut it, and sure enough it was torn. Why they still have fanboys defending them is beyond belief, unless they work for or sell Purolators and don't care about the user.

Originally Posted by sprite1741
Why they still have fanboys defending them is beyond belief, unless they work for or sell Purolators and don't care about the user.

Look at member Shamus' signature. A perfect description of his sidings with Purolator.

Last edited:

I have used the PureOne and the new Purolator's off and on for over 7 years I have yet to find a bad one. Not one in fact I posted a C&P a few months back with the new 10K blue can it looked just fine with no issues at all. I'm currently running a Bosch Premium. Why because it was on sale I've also ran those before with no issues.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by sprite1741
Why they still have fanboys defending them is beyond belief, unless they work for or sell Purolators and don't care about the user.

Look at member Shamus' signature. A perfect description of his sidings with Purolator.

I guess that one, you can not understand a joke, and two, you have no viable argument.

"Re-engineered" media doesn't necessarily mean fixed.

I just pulled off a PureOne PL25288, date code F07J24C1 (July 24 2017 I believe, fresh when I bought it) from my LS2 motor because it had a bad startup valve clatter. The filter was on for about 4 months/2500 mi and the engine has been clattering on startup the whole time. I replaced it with a Fram Racing HP5 (without changing the oil), and after one more start, no more clattering whatsoever. Apparently the ADBV was not sealing on the P1. The Fram keeps the oil up in the engine. No more Purolators for me. I had a Fram fail on me waaay back in the dark ages (i.e. the 80s) and so had been leery of them, but it looks the quality is there now, at least on the premium ones.

This also disproves the theory that a filter run vertically with the opening at the top doesn't need an ADBV. Although the filter itself won't drain, the oil still runs back through it from the engine galleries above, emptying them.

I haven't cut it open; I don't have a good tool to do it easily without wrecking it. Perhaps someone could suggest one that's not ridiculously expensive.

Originally Posted by kschachn

You might believe that but I wouldn't. What indication is there that the issue was a material one rather than a process or manufacturing problem?

I agree. They burnt the bridge with me. There are better filters for the money, and I don't have to worry about them or dissect them at the end of an OCI with my fingers crossed hoping it didn't tear.

I want to run these at every other OCI so 10K miles doesn't cut it for me on the Accord (it is generally about 12-14K by the time I make 2 oil changes. So I guess I will get rid of the ONE and go back to Fram Ultra. A couple extra bucks every 12K miles ain't gonna kill me for peace of mind

Originally Posted by Hogan773
I want to run these at every other OCI so 10K miles doesn't cut it for me on the Accord (it is generally about 12-14K by the time I make 2 oil changes. So I guess I will get rid of the ONE and go back to Fram Ultra. A couple extra bucks every 12K miles ain't gonna kill me for peace of mind

Smart move imo.

Originally Posted by Hogan773

Why don't you just do a cut on the one you have on the car and see what the real story is. You're very likely to not find a problem I have had a bad ever on my Corolla in over 6 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back