Purolator l24011 4300 miles 20 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Came off my 93 chevy not short tripped just not driven often.
Not very pretty but it held together was pulling hard by the seam. This was my last puro in circulation looks like I survived the pandemic
][/url]
][/url]
][/url]
][/url]

Filter looks fine. It is what you would expect any short tripped filter to look like from an old vehicle. Congratulations, you are helping prove there wasn't a pandemic!

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Filter looks fine. It is what you would expect any short tripped filter to look like from an old vehicle.

He said "not short tripped".

Pleats do looked stressed out a bit ... potential Tearolator.

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Congratulations, you are helping prove there wasn't a pandemic!

LoL

Originally Posted By: car51
This was made September 5, 2013. When was the first year reported as I forgot.

All the media tearing reports were starting to come in around Feb 2014. So this one was made before that, which goes to show that not all of them will tear, but they all have the potential to tear. Until something changes on Purolator's part.

Look at the "Date Mfd" column to see what was going on back then.

Tearolator Spreadsheet

How did you cut that open? Did you use a saw? Also how does anyone know when it was made.
I have a filter at home that was ony moms vehicle for like 5k miles. She lives far away and dosent remember to get her oll changed so I did it for her. I told her not to go that long but she won't listen. Anyway the filter I have is a Purolator that has probably only been in use for a few months but for many miles, around 5k.
I would like to cut it apart like this one.

Originally Posted By: Mrsandman
Also how does anyone know when it was made.

Red number/letter combo stamped on the can in photo #1 is the "date code".

I am going to pull the crybaby card and say if this was a Fram, everyone would hate it, which happens here all the time by the same "webineer" members.

Seriously though, those areas on the bottom do look very stressed. The wide v pleat spacing would get the crybabies in a fuss if this was a Fram too.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
So NOW the Framboys are claiming to be able to measure "potential tearing". DO you do the stock market as well?

My my my.. Where in my post did you see me mention tearing?

All I did was mention how the pleat looked stressed. Whether that causes tearing or not.. well I think you answered everyone's question. Lol!

I did however mention that if this was a Fram, a select few nutheads here would hate it. Refer to the latest Extra Guard post for more clarification. Keep in mind, that one came off a nasty engine known to be hard on oil. This one came off a 4.3 which I consider to be the direct opposite.

PS. Not really a Fram fanboy as I used WIX, M1 and other brands for various applications that I service. (10+ vehicles/ machines) Also in regards to measuring failures, we see many people who dont like a Fram simply because it doesn't look good to them. What?

Amazing how wavy media in most brands are acceptable and the norm but in other brands a couple wavy pleats and it's instant death to the machine it was in. I would prefer beautiful even spaced pleats in any filter just because they look nice and seams to show quality however time and time again we've seen ugly filters that did just as good of a job so it doesn't mean much as long as it holds together. I've said it before and il say it agin ugly is acceptable torn is defective.

Huh, no metal seam. Likely saved the filter from being a tearolator.

I don't think the older Chevy spec-ed filters are on the "tear list" that frequently.

If I might say, that filter look fine to me. Now I'm not a professional like some of you are but I don't see s failure that my rookie eyes can decern. One day I'll be a pro oil and filter guy like you guys are. Your my heroes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back