Purolator core support holes are REALLY small

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got off the phone with Purolator and spoke with a product technician there. He confirms this is normal and that the core support is regularly tested for size, and that the area of the opening is within 7% of the old design with just holes.

I did email him my photo to confirm the small exit size and he said it was as designed.

Originally Posted By: JellyBeanDriver
Just got off the phone with Purolator and spoke with a product technician there. He confirms this is normal and that the core support is regularly tested for size, and that the area of the opening is within 7% of the old design with just holes.

I did email him my photo to confirm the small exit size and he said it was as designed.

IMO, there is a big difference between the slit size in these two photos. I'd say their manufacturing control tolerances need to be tightened up.

When he said "the area of the opening is within 7% of the old design with just holes", he probably meant compared to the 2nd photo, not the 1st photo.

hx6oic.jpg

10new09.jpg

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
IMO, there is a big difference between the slit size in these two photos. I'd say their manufacturing control tolerances need to be tightened up.

When he said "the area of the opening is within 7% of the old design with just holes", he probably meant compared to the 2nd photo, not the 1st photo.

I agree there is a big difference but I only emailed him my photo, not the one with the larger slits. I also said that my slits were about the width of a sheet of paper.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I agree there is a big difference but I only emailed him my photo, not the one with the larger slits. I also said that my slits were about the width of a sheet of paper.

I doubt he knows how open those slits are supposed to be, because he probably wasn't real engineer involved in the design ... just someone looking up response answers in a 3-ring binder.

Originally Posted By: tratman2000
Bet those restrictive slits are to control the tearing issues should make less pressure on the media
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I was thinking about that. Yeah it would do that at the sacrifice of also dropping pressure to the engine. Oil pump pressure relief is on the pump side (pre filter). As the previous poster wrote, I wonder what the delta pressure is across the filter at various flow rates.

Speaking of flow rates, what flow would an engine need to keep the galleys pressurized at 45psi (guess) at 3000rpm?

Originally Posted By: tratman2000
Bet those restrictive slits are to control the tearing issues should make less pressure on the media
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I was thinking about that. Yeah it would do that at the sacrifice of also dropping pressure to the engine. Oil pump pressure relief is on the pump side (pre filter). As the previous poster wrote, I wonder what the delta pressure is across the filter at various flow rates.

If the oil filter becomes more restrictive, the oil pump will just work harder to maintain the same flow rate at the same RPM (ie, positive displacement pump). This will happen up until the oil pump goes in to pressure relief.

Here is typically what most good flowing oil filters will have for a delta-p vs flow with hot (200 F) oil.

Flow vs Delta-P

PureOneflowdata.jpg

Speaking of flow rates, what flow would an engine need to keep the galleys pressurized at 45psi (guess) at 3000rpm?

It all depends on the total flow resistance of the engine's oiling circuit. I know GM V8 show about 30 PSI at idle (800 RPM), and build pressure of ~10 PSI per 1000 RPM. So at 3000 RPM, it would be around 50 PSI of oil pressure. Wild guess is the flow rate of the oil pump at 3000 RPM on a modern V8 would be around 4~5 GPM.

Don't you guys think the engineers at Puro thought about all this??
Why do you think that you know more about their filters than they do??
Amazing

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Maybe so... anyway you look at it those tiny slits have to be restrictive.

Nevermind. Not worth it.

Count the number of slits. Post back when you have the number. Then measure a few for area. Give us a total surface area for those slits.

I remember a few years back when a similar center tube didn't have holes in the slits. Stamping/punching tool depth not set correctly, or simply worn out.

Compare that filter with the same PN from other stores, or other filters on the shelf.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Amazing

Because armchair engineering is what 95% of this forum is about... How does this filter look online in a pic? Those pleats aren't even, must be bad. Those holes look restrictive, prefer good 'ol big round ones, can of "death", etc....

Well, except that they have been turning out tearing filters for a year and a half or two...

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

Well, except that they have been turning out tearing filters for a year and a half or two...

Yep, and any good engineering staff would have been all over that pretty fast, and thinking about what's causing it and what the fix is.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Count the number of slits. Post back when you have the number. Then measure a few for area. Give us a total surface area for those slits.

I remember a few years back when a similar center tube didn't have holes in the slits. Stamping/punching tool depth not set correctly, or simply worn out.

Compare that filter with the same PN from other stores, or other filters on the shelf.

Slit area calculation done here, and looks like if the slits were punched open like they should be then there is plenty of open area for oil flow. But, if the slits are barely opened up due to bad manufacturing then who knows what the resulting flow area might be.

Slit Area Calculation

The machine that forms the slits has to have sharp cutting edges to make the slit opening clean. As production continues cutting edges get duller, things get dirtier until the machine is serviced. I hadn't thought about it much, but I prefer the good old round holes, where the slug is punched out fully, leaving the hole. Some of those round holes are better punched than others too, and all the burrs are on the clean side, possibly sending metal particles to the engine bearings.

It's very Amazing that people will buy any filter with such small oil holes.. Im with GoodTimes i also prefer the larger round oil holes in my oil filters im sticking with Wix and the fram ultra.

bmwpower ..With all due respect i see in your profile with your 130 posts that you are a student... Very cool.. Sit back in "Your armchair" and learn.. Some of the posters here know more than you could imagine about what is being posted on this forum.

Originally Posted By: bmwpowere36m3
Amazing

Because armchair engineering is what 95% of this forum is about... How does this filter look online in a pic? Those pleats aren't even, must be bad. Those holes look restrictive, prefer good 'ol big round ones, can of "death", etc....

listen bud, only 130 posts and here you are judging these armchair forum generals? come back after 11,000 posts and then you might earn some respect around here.

i just threw a nice clean L22500 purolator classic on my friends 2012 Impala about 15 minutes ago. I also (gasp) threw in non dexos oil, even .5 quart of leftover 10w30 SL castrol that i used to lubricate head bolts but the quart container is cracked at the top and my OCD just cant take it anymore. You wont believe how much the OCD forum posters will lam-bast my lack of attention or empathy.

Last edited:
LoL ... only the Tearolator supporters and armchair engineering criticizers get guff around here.
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back