PUROLATOR CLASSIC L25288 Broke

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a Purolator Classic for a 2006 CHEVY TRIAL BLAZER LS w. 4200 V6. Well I changed the oil and put on a nice A/C Delco PF61 NON E-CORE....

Anyways, I took the oil filter the PUROLATOR and decided to cut it open and to my surprise the bottom part of the metal end cap just fell OFF and all it left lots a small black pieces of the GLUE. Also I saw them drain from the Oil Drain Hole and saw them in the Drain Pan.

However here are some pics

here is the brand of filter and model number

purocan.jpg

Im taking my thumb and holding the metal end cap sorta in place so you can see the GLUE

purclassnometal.jpg

Im this pic Im actually hold the metal end cap in place

puroclassicelement.jpg

Here is PIC with the metal end cap gone. I have it in the drain pan and not holding it up to the filter as in the other pic

puroclassnometal.jpg

So what do you think?????

The oil was 5 QTs of Valvoline MaxLife 5W30 and 1 Quart of Marvel Mystery Oil.
Its the first time Valvoline Maxlife has been used in this ENGINE and the First time Marvel Mystery Oil has been used in this Engine.

Now I have Valvoline Syn Power FULL SYNTHETIC Sw30

anways... what you think

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I think I'm not seeing any pictures....

HUH?

Look again

they are big pics might take a few seconds to load

The picture links you have posted go to http://s23.postimg.org/ which does not exist. Did you upload them at postimg.net? If so, find a different site. That site is used for "adult images" almost exclusively and is blocked by firewalls/NetNanny software often.

Here pics

205352r.jpg

2mpzoqr.jpg

here is that pic where the metal end cap was off

2u97ojq.jpg

Im holding the end cap with my thumb

t7bzly.jpg

Now do you see the pics???

I was able to see the pics even now in the orginal post

see look, I took a snag it screen pic of the page in the forum and as you can see the pics are there

33xdau1.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I can see the pictures now. But due to a heavy dose of what I hope is sarcasm, I've lost interest in the topic.

Thanks.

You might want to call Purolator & see if they might want to take a look at it. The spring in the can would keep it all together (until you cut it apart), but could the glue bits POSSIBLY clog your oil pickup tube??

David, that's not too unusual and as long as the potting (the glue around the pleats) stayed intact the spring would have held it all together to prevent bypassing. I had one like that too (a P1) which I was easily able to pull the endcap off by hand. The potting doesn't always bond well to the endcap and now you have a graphic demonstration of one reason Fram uses fiber endcaps.

I'm a bit more troubled by your report of black chunks from the potting in the oil pan. That would indicate that the oil filter media in fact was being bypassed. Not good. You might take this up with Puro on their help line. I doubt you'd get more than a few filters for your trouble but....

BTW, I can't see the pics in the first post either.
21.gif

Yes, I can see the pictures now. But due to a heavy dose of what I hope is sarcasm, I've lost interest in the topic.

Thanks.

No sarcasm.

sorry if I came off that way.

but no sarcasm was intended

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
David, that's not too unusual and as long as the potting (the glue around the pleats) stayed intact the spring would have held it all together to prevent bypassing. I had one like that too (a P1) which I was easily able to pull the endcap off by hand. The potting doesn't always bond well to the endcap and now you have a graphic demonstration of one reason Fram uses fiber endcaps.

I'm a bit more troubled by your report of black chunks from the potting in the oil pan. That would indicate that the oil filter media in fact was being bypassed. Not good. You might take this up with Puro on their help line. I doubt you'd get more than a few filters for your trouble but....

BTW, I can't see the pics in the first post either.
21.gif

Well the GLUE was on the inside of the end cap that broke away.... so it didnt go through the bypass,

this filter has no bypass.. However the ENGINE has a bypass

anways... when the end cap fell off I saw black glue on the inside of the filter area

Whhat do you think calling purolator would do??

Also I remember reading FRAM saying that they use fiber end caps due to the fact that the filters must FLEX... or somthing to that effect...

Originally Posted By: David1
I think I'm not seeing any pictures....

HUH?

Look again

they are big pics might take a few seconds to load

No pixs ... are these the 100 Gigabyte photos again that blows up the server?

Anyways, I took the oil filter the PUROLATOR and decided to cut it open and to my surprise the bottom part of the metal end cap just fell OFF and all it left lots a small black pieces of the GLUE. Also I saw them drain from the Oil Drain Hole and saw them in the Drain Pan.

I say the part in red didn't really happen ... probably some mis-perception on you part. I've seen the end caps come off after cutting open and there was never any "small black pieces of the glue" anywhere. That potting material just doesn't break apart on it's own - pretty solid stuff from what I've seen.

Originally Posted By: Flareside302
No pics.. Also you put wrong capacity in your SUV.. Those 4.2's take 7 qts

Well I put a 5QT jug of Valvoline Syn Power and 1 QT of Marvel Mystery Oil and 1 QT of Peak FULL SYNTHETIC OIL.

Thats 7 QTs Correct?

thats now.

b4 was 5.1 Maxlife and 1 QT of Marvel Mystery Oil.

I just forgot to put the .1 in 5.1 that is really 6 QTs of oil and with the MMO that makes 7 QTs

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

I say the part in red didn't really happen ... probably some mis-perception on you part. I've seen the end caps come off after cutting open and there was never any "small black pieces of the glue" anywhere. That potting material just doesn't break apart on it's own - pretty solid stuff from what I've seen.

It was small pieces.... and it was in the oil and in the what is to be the clean area of the OIL FITLER.....

If you look on the bottom - inside part of the filter in the pic you can see the broken up black GLUE

2psjg9h.jpg

Last edited:
If "black chunks" of the potting material came out of the drain plug hole in the oil pan, then how did they get there without being recirculated through the oiling system and caught in the filter media? The "black chunks" you saw was probably some other crud in the oil.

And how long was this oil filter ran for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back