Purolator & Bosch Say No More Than 3,000 Miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: MNL
As pointed out, Purolator makes good filters; on the other hand, their hotline needs some help.

Yeah, no kiddin' ...
crazy.gif
whistle.gif

laugh.gif
I know it sound obvious, I just want to make sure everyone was on the same page. (Even if this thread is a book of one page)

Originally Posted By: sayjac
So, you finally reached someone with product and warranty knowledge and got 'the' accurate answer. That said, while one can only hope for improvement in the PRO and Bosch Hotline, I have my doubts. As shown early on in this thread though, clearly the posters here were/are more knowledgeable about Puro/Bosch's recommended fci and warranty. Hopefully this will put to rest the question about Puro/Bosch fci especially as it relates to warranty.
Yea, my chase ends here. That's what a thread is about, finding answers and conclusions. Just wanted to know if Purolator stand behind their filters and this thread help me find their warranty page too. Hard printed documents are always stronger than words from a hotline, (which sucks since the hotline is also the voice of the company) And this ask another the questions; how many calls a year do they get excluding me?
laugh.gif
I guess Purolator is not going to waste too much time on them.

Check back on the Purolator website in a few weeks. Their warranty statement might change to:

"If you use our filters over 3,000 miles, you're SOL".
lol.gif

This was pretty interesting. Although even finally getting them to admit their warranty does cover the filter and damaged to an engine cause by a defective filter for the entire vehicle manufacturer's oil change interval is something, it doesn't mean they really do have a warranty they will honor. In the unlikely but possible event you made a claim that a filter defect damged your engine, they would likely just deny and deflect. They would blame your oil pump pressure relief valve, bypass valve or anything else but the filter.

Purlator specfically recommends the L14610 for my 2000 Galant I-4.

Here is the specific link to their "documenation" for the classic filters:
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/document/Documents/Purolator_Classic_Brochure_1112.pdf
It clearly states " ... or as recommended by your vehicle manufacturer" on page 5.

Further, here is a quote from their FAQ page:
Q: How often should I change my oil filter?
A: The mileage at which to change oil and filters really depends on factors like the driving habits, mileage on the vehicle, and the manufacturer’s recommendation for changing your engine oil and filters. Purolator recommends you change your oil and oil filter every 3,000 miles or as specified by your vehicle’s manufacturer.

My driving is "normal" by definition. Mitsubishi specifically states in my owner's manual that the filter can be changed every other OCI. The manual shows my "normal" OCI is 7.5k miles. Hence the "normal" FCI would be 15k miles, even on the lowly classic filter!

Hard to see how Purolator could deny coverage for what is deemed acceptable by the vehicle OEM. Would they try? Sure they would. Would they succeed? Probably not. But only after a long, drawn out battle that would tax my patience and resources.

Frankly, the "hotline" answers are worthless; it's what is in print that counts. The M/M Act is what governs this type of dogma, not some idiot on the hotline. This comes down to burden of proof. If you follow the written guidelines, you'd be in the better position. However, it would likely be a very long battle to prove your point.

I know because I once had a formal suit filed against Ford with the IN Atty General for a vehicle problem back in 1989. That went on for MONTHS, all whilst I was making payments on a one-year-old Mustang that was a major PITB and had a significant issue. Finally, Ford directed the dealer to settle with me, and they made a decent offer for full trade-in value, which is all I was after in the first place. The documentation was on my side, and I "won" (even though it never actually got to arbitration). But it surely was a painfully slow, disingenuous, non-customer-focused event.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
......Frankly, the "hotline" answers are worthless; it's what is in print that counts....

And that's the bottom line on this thread. Ultimately the accurate information was confirmed here by a Purolator Product Manager familiar with the Purolator/Bosch FCI Warranty information and literature.

And also frankly, Purolator/Bosch should either shut down the PRO and Bosch hotline, or train/retrain the folks that work them to provide the information as stated in the literature and brochures.

If any Purolator/Bosch higher up representatives read this thread, imo they should be appropriately ashamed.

Here is a direct quote from their written warranty ...

This limited warranty is effective for the number of miles and driving severity published in the owner&s vehicle manual as the recommended service interval for filter replacements (“Warranty Period”).
As seen here:
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/document/Documents/PuroLimitedWarranty.pdf

Folks, that's about as clear as any litigious entity (aribitor or judge) would need to say that if you follow the vehicle manufacturer's recommendation, then their warranty will apply.

So, in my case in my 2000 Galant, the "Classic" filter is good for 15k miles because the OEM manual specifically calls out 2x the OCI of 7.5k miles!

I will also note this in their written warranty:
THIS LIMITED WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER misapplication, misinstallation and damages or failure caused by rust or corrosion. THIS LIMITED WARRANTY IS VOID under the following circumstances:
• Use of motor oil other than the viscosity and type as recommended in the owner's vehicle manual;
• Damage or failure caused by misuse, negligence, modification, accidents or abuse;
• Damage or failure caused by unauthorized service or use of unauthorized parts; and
• Filters which are submitted in a condition that prohibits testing to validate any alleged
defect or malfunction

I have underlined the word "misapplication" above. And that is why it is a poor idea to venture off the reservation when it comes to "oversized" or alternative filter selection. They will NOT cover a filter that YOU selected against THEIR recommnedations, regardless of what you feel is right. "Upsizing" a filter, or "commonizing" a filter, is a risk that shifts the burden of proof from them, unto you! And Purolator is not alone; all the filter makers have similar statments.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: linkbelt
Bet they have never paid out one dime under their "warranty", and never will.

Yep. It doesn't really matter what their warranty says or doesn't say. They are going to deny any and all warranty claims, beyond just sending you a new filter for one that is obviously defective and hasn't apparently damaged your engine.

If the filter were to leak out all the oil or broke or disintergated in any way internally wiping out the engine, they'll just blame your relief valve or bypass or some other reason whether or not it's actually at fault. Only through successfully filing and winning a lawsuit will they pay. So they have no real warranty. Besides most filter defects or deficiencies aren't noticable or realized and just cause maybe slightly higher engine wear.

Originally Posted By: Izb
What is the reason of limitation 3 Months (Pure One)?

If you read his thread, you will see Purolator says "3 months OR ...." The 3 months is to probably to CYA themselves if someone isn't going by the vehicle manufacurer's OCI recomendation.

If this topic died, and the "best oil" question was allowed to diminish, then just what would 99.9% of BITOGers do for their daily dose of rhetoric and mythology?

Allow me to quote myself from yet another of these endless filter topics:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Two BITOGers could argue the merits of differences in Skim and 2% milk, relative to the viscosity of fat content, relating to the ability to swallow one's breakfast cereal ...

Last edited:
Heck, oil filters could go more than 3,000 miles thirty years ago. I can't see any "decent" filter having any problems under factory mandated OCIs. If there is a problem, it's the OEM's fault in the first place.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
This revival reminds me, I never did get an answer on that D+ for 10K question in the Ram!

Well, I don't know your exact question to Bosch Hotline, but I'll pretend to be a representative, however unlike the hotline and PRO reps I'll actually know what I'm talking about. How's that? I'm guessing you want to know if the BD+ is warranted for a 10k fci. Here's the answer and it's the exact same as for a Purolator filter doing the same.

If your owners manual oci/fci is 10k miles as described for your driving profile (normal/severe) then the BD+ is warranted for the 10k oci. That simple, you're BD+ is covered for the vehicle manufacturer's owner's manual fci. It's the same as the Purolator warranty as now extremely well elucidated on the previous page. Warranty aside, I dare say that with a 29 gram rated holding capacity the BD+, can easily go beyond 10k miles.

As and example here's a BD+ 3323 run for ~13.5k miles over two oci's. Doesn't look too shabby and yes just as a P1 PL14610 would have been warranted for this fci, so was the BD+ because it is a Honda owners manual MM fci as described in the owners manual. BD+ 3323 13.5k mile fci

As for the thread resurrection, I thought the 3k 'recommendation' as opposed to the Puro/Bosch oil filter warranty was very clearly explained on the previous page. Reminds me of the tale of two men in a boat, pete and repeat. Pete fell out, who was left? Repeat.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: sayjac
As for the thread resurrection, I thought the 3k 'recommendation' as opposed to the Puro/Bosch oil filter warranty was very clearly explained on the previous page. Reminds me of the tale of two men in a boat, pete and repeat. Pete fell out, who was left? Repeat.
grin.gif

lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back