Purolator & Bosch Say No More Than 3,000 Miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, they just got reply this morning from my e-mail I send last week.

Quote:

Thank you for the reply.

Also, I wanted to ask: What would happen if I stay with the manufacturer's oil change interval of 7,500 miles on my Versa. Will the use of a Purolator or Bosch oil filter void my factory warranty?

They reply
Quote:
No.

THen to make sure they were clear, I send:
Quote:
Since the filter won't void my warranty, it is safe to use the Purolater Classic for 7,500 as recommended by Nissan?

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/resources/Pages/FAQs.aspx
Q: How often should I change my oil filter?
A: The mileage at which to change oil and filters really depends on factors like the driving habits, mileage on the vehicle, and the manufacturer’s recommendation for changing your engine oil and filters. Purolator recommends you change your oil and oil filter every 3,000 miles or as specified by your vehicle’s manufacturer.

Dose the statement above apply to all of Bosch and Purolater oil filter?

Thank you

Here is the reply I got from Murray James of Bosch.

Quote:
No, the Purolator Classic is guaranteed for 3 months/3,000 miles. If you drive 7,500 miles, you will be using it at your own risk.

I love Purolator but why are they doing this? "you will be using it at your own risk"? Seriously, now I needed to figure out how to contact someone higher up. Com'on Purolator, stand behind the product you built. I know you can!

Maybe he doesn't like me...another BITOG member can e-mail or call them to get a better answer. I'll try again later today.
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/pages/ContactUs.aspx

Purolator speak with forked tongue.
eek.gif

Simple solution: use OE labeled filters (AC Delco, Motorcraft, MOPAR, whatever)for the recommended intervals and leave the Puro Classic in the store.

It's not just the Purolator Classic oil filter, it's all of them.
frown.gif
I got one more e-mail from them today.

I send them this:
Quote:
Originally, You said the using the Classic won't void my warranty but now you say I'm be on my own risk. So, I'll state two (2) questions to be clear.

Will using a Purolator Classic, Purolator PureONE, Purolator Synthetic, Bosch Premium, and Bosch DistancePlus oil filter with the vehicle manufacturer’s recommended weight and type of motor oil and recommended oil change interval of greater than 3,000 miles void the vehicle's warranties and your warranty?

Will Purolator Classic, Purolator PureONE, Purolator Synthetic, Bosch Premium, and Bosch DistancePlus safely operate correctly and continue to perform their advertised filtrate level during the vehicle manufacturer’s recommended oil change interval of greater than 3,000 miles?

If it cannot be answer with a Yes or No, can you list the month and mileage you guarantee for each filters? And why aren't these information list on your website for the customers?

They reply with this:
Quote:
As stated in the warranty and the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act, the use of aftermarket oil filters will not void the manufacturer’s warranty. However, it is not recommended using the Purolator Classic, PureOne, Bosch Premium or Bosch Distance plus oil filters greater than 3,000 miles. The only exception is the Purolator Synthetic Oil Filter which is good for 10,000 miles.

Then what is the point of buying the DistancePlus filter if it only go up to 3,000 miles?
mad.gif
That's when I notice no where on the Boush box and website they say anything about the mileage. Only "allowing your filter to perform longer!" I guess they mean in terms on months then. The same apply to the PureOne and Bosch Premium. We seen pictures of these filters going pass 3,000 miles with no problem but if any chance they fail, we're on our own.

I e-mail once more.
Quote:

Just so we are on the same page. Purolator and Bosch will not take any responsibility if the Purolator Classic, PureOne, Bosch Premium or Bosch Distance plus oil filter are use in service for greater than 3,000 miles. Is that true?

Then why does the website state: “Purolator recommends you change your oil and oil filter every 3,000 miles or as specified by your vehicle’s manufacturer"?

They haven't e-mail me back.

I called Bosch service phone number to explain my problem to them. But it turns out to be a third-party phone service that takes the customers concern/question and send it to Purolator/Bosch. Bosch just e-mail me with the same hotline number from Purolator.
Quote:
please contact the Bosch/Purolator filter hotline @ 800 526-4250 for further assistance on warranty information

Regards,
Bosch email reply

They are just sending me in circle...

This is interesting and I find it funny how they don't believe in their products at all, but I don't have a 'warranty' thingy and would never loose any sleep over it.

If you are truly worried, run an OEM filter for the factory warranty period. Period. Problem solved.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
This is interesting and I find it funny how they don't believe in their products at all, but I don't have a 'warranty' thingy and would never loose any sleep over it.

If you are truly worried, run an OEM filter for the factory warranty period. Period. Problem solved.

It's part of a warranty thing, but I felt that Purolator and Boush has been lying about their products and I have used many of them for a few years.

Their website in the FAQ state: "as specified by your vehicle’s manufacturer". We all pointed that out and they sweep that under the rug. Not only that, many of us BITOGer believed the Bosch DistancePlus was a long drain oil filter but it turns out to be only good for 3,000 as they say.

I think the problem I have is that I though this entire time Purolator and Boush made filters that at least meets OEM specification. I guess not.
frown.gif

Wow. I have always thought Purolator and Bosch to be stand-up companies, but this incredible farce has me seriously reconsidering my view.

It's interesting that they claim a 3,000-mile max for all their filters, yet Ford recommend 10,000-mile OCIs for the new Mustang......using a Purolator-made Motorcraft filter.

Purolator and Bosch seem to have their heads firmly inserted in each other's backsides.

Originally Posted By: MNL

Their website in the FAQ state: "as specified by your vehicle’s manufacturer". We all pointed that out and they sweep that under the rug. Not only that, many of us BITOGer believed the Bosch DistancePlus was a long drain oil filter but it turns out to be only good for 3,000 as they say.

It's surprising the Tech guy you are corresponding with is saying the PureOne is only recommended for 3K/3 months when it clearly says on their website " - or as specified by your vehicle's manufacturer".

The only filter they don't say anything about on their website is the Classic. The 10K spec is shown on the box of Purolator's full synthetic filter, and on the synthetic filter webpage.

They have covered 2 of 3 of their filters ... but it's disturbing that the Tech guy doesn't even know or understand what it says on their website. I'm sure it took more than some website developer to add that statement to the PureOne page without some kind of internal Purolator comity and legal department acceptance.

Purolator needs to clarify exactly what they expect their filters to do in terms of a filter change interval, and clearly state it on their website.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
It's surprising the Tech guy you are corresponding with is saying the PureOne is only recommended for 3K/3 months when it clearly says on their website " - or as specified by your vehicle's manufacturer".

The only filter they don't say anything about on their website is the Classic. The 10K spec is shown on the box of Purolator's full synthetic filter, and on the synthetic filter webpage.

They have covered 2 of 3 of their filters ... but it's disturbing that the Tech guy doesn't even know or understand what it says on their website. I'm sure it took more than some website developer to add that statement to the PureOne page without some kind of internal Purolator comity and legal department acceptance.

Purolator needs to clarify exactly what they expect their filters to do in terms of a filter change interval, and clearly state it on their website.

I check their website "Terms of Use"

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/General/Popup/Pages/Terms.aspx
Quote:
Warranty Note
This information is provided by Purolator Filters NA LLC ''AS IS'' and without warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, including (but not limited to) any implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for any particular purpose or non-infringement. While the information provided in believed to be accurate, it may include errors or inaccuracies. Purolator Filters NA LLC will not be liable for any damages of any kind arising from use of this web site, including, but not limited to, direct, indirect, incidental, punitive and consequential damages.

Privacy Policy
Purolator may modify, suspend, discontinue or restrict the use of any portion of the site, including the availability of any portion of the content at any time, without notice or liability.

Purolator know how to protect themselves. Even when we point out the "or as specified by your vehicle's manufacturer" on the PureONE page, they can change it at any moment. Furthermore, they even state "will not be liable for any damages of any kind arising from use of this web site." Because of that, the "or as specified by your vehicle's manufacturer" statement is pretty much invisible because if we follow that recommendation on the website, it's our fault if something goes wrong.

Do Purolator and Bosch engineers/designers at least have a meeting with the webpage designers and marketing once a year? I'm holding the PureONE box in my hand right now and there no mention of meeting OEM spec or recommendation. They stand firmly on 3,000 miles only which is very silly for the PureONE and Bosch.

I'm just confused. Is there a Purolator rep on BITOG like some of the major oil companies or can anyone more experience contact them? It's a problem of trust too. If the company can't trust the product they make, how can we the customers trust it too? And I have three Purolator filters in my garage now.

Having been in customer service for several years, it's obvious that your emails are being answered by some low level functionary, and not an engineer, member of management or someone involved in actual warranty claims, and that they're just telling you what they're being told to tell you.

It's too bad that one of the preeminent oil filter manufacturers has to engage in this level of "C.Y.A." to avoid some sort of legal entanglement.

I've used Purolators for years, but this leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Might be time to switch to something that'll 'officially' handle more than 3000 miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Having been in customer service for several years, it's obvious that your emails are being answered by some low level functionary, and not an engineer, member of management or someone involved in actual warranty claims, and that they're just telling you what they're being told to tell you.

It's too bad that one of the preeminent oil filter manufacturers has to engage in this level of "C.Y.A." to avoid some sort of legal entanglement.

I've used Purolators for years, but this leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Might be time to switch to something that'll 'officially' handle more than 3000 miles.

They use to be clear and stand behind their product, I found an old PuroONE oil filter today and saw this on the box.
IMG_1853_zpsa12094c2.jpg

But nothing about the OE their current PureONE box. Instead they have every other information in three languages.
IMG_1867_zps9715d65c.jpg

IMG_1868_zps0612bfbc.jpg

IMG_1865_zps058e98ca.jpg

IMG_1866_zps38dadbb5.jpg

For comparison, here's the current Mobil1 box
IMG_1846_zps9d9ce4ab.jpg

Even the cheap MicroGard say to follow the OE recommendation. (same story on the Frams)
IMG_1855_zps9144dd2f.jpg

There's room to write "Follow OE recommendation change interval" on the Purolator and Bosch box. The question is why not?

In your fourth picture of the new PureONE box, on the top flap, it says: "Limited Warranty. See product catalog for complete warranty information." Any idea what is listed in the product catalog?

Originally Posted By: Fission
In your fourth picture of the new PureONE box, on the top flap, it says: "Limited Warranty. See product catalog for complete warranty information." Any idea what is listed in the product catalog?

If the filter fails and destroys your engine during a 2nd full moon of any month, then Purolator will warranty their product and replace your engine.

Originally Posted By: Fission

Originally, I though it was the catalog book that hangs around the filter section of Pepboys, but lucky me, it was missing... Then I figure maybe I can find a PDF verison on Purolator website. I found these two PDF brochures which state: "Replace oil filters when you change your oil every 3 months or 3,000 miles,or as recommended by your vehicle manufacturer" for the Purolator Classic too.

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/document/Documents/PureONE_3PanelBrochure_1112.pdf
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/document/Documents/Purolator_Classic_Brochure_1112.pdf

Then I found this at the very bottom of the website and it states:
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/document/Documents/PuroLimitedWarranty.pdf
Quote:
This limited warranty is effective for the number of miles and driving severity published in the owner's vehicle manual as the recommended service interval for filter replacements (“Warranty Period”). Purolator will replace, free of charge, any Filter which, under normal conditions of use, is proven to be defective in material or workmanship and is within the Warranty Period. If Purolator further determines, in its sole discretion, that the alleged defective Filter caused engine damage during the Warranty Period, Purolator will also repair or replace any damaged engine parts.

But then it also said
Quote:
In addition, Purolator may change this limited warranty policy at any time. Please refer to www.purolatorautofilters.net for the most current version of this limited warranty policy.

I'll will call the Technical Services Department (Warranty) number on that PDF tomorrow to get a solid answer and try to have them mail me a copy of this warranty so I can document that it is from Purolator. I will also explain the misinformation that Purolator Hotline and e-mail have be sending me. ALso, I'll try also stop by another Pepboy to find the Catalog Book (if that's what they are referring) to see if the same limited warranty is written in there.

BUT if warranty department say they will only honor up to 3,000; then it will be a bigger issue.

Purolator needs to get all their Tech Line people and website info all on the same page. As you pointed out, the brochure for the Classic filters also says "3 months or 3,000 miles, or as recommended by your vehicle manufacturer".

Purolator is being sloppy, which doesn't build confidence in their customers. Wake up Purolator.

Quote:
As stated in the warranty and the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act, the use of aftermarket oil filters will not void the manufacturer’s warranty. However, it is not recommended using the Purolator Classic, PureOne, Bosch Premium or Bosch Distance plus oil filters greater than 3,000 miles. The only exception is the Purolator Synthetic Oil Filter which is good for 10,000 miles.

So they are saying to change it BEFORE any manufacturer recommends. Thats crazy talk. Their 'tech' reps better get their act together. If that is all their filters are rated for people should stop using them immediately.
15.gif

Moot point for Purolator - the only people anal enough to ask about this are BITOGers who a) know better, b) likely take better care of their vehicles.
I don't see them getting too worried about it or loosing customers.

Originally Posted By: Bamaro

So they are saying to change it BEFORE any manufacturer recommends. Thats crazy talk. Their 'tech' reps better get their act together. If that is all their filters are rated for people should stop using them immediately.
15.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Purolator needs to get all their Tech Line people and website info all on the same page. As you pointed out, the brochure for the Classic filters also says "3 months or 3,000 miles, or as recommended by your vehicle manufacturer".

Purolator is being sloppy, which doesn't build confidence in their customers. Wake up Purolator.

You guys are going to love this. I called warranty and they say they can't answer any technical questions; they only process warranties. But they give me the number to Purolator and Bosch customer service. I called them and ask about the warranty on the site: "Purolator recommends you change your oil and oil filter every 3,000 miles or as specified by your vehicle’s manufacturer." on the website and the warranty on the catalog.

She search through their database for a few minutes and to put me hold for a while. (I had time to check my oil, tire pressure and spare, etc). She came back to tell me that from what her manager and co-workers told her that Purolator has NO WARRANTY for any of their filter.
confused2.gif
confused2.gif
confused2.gif
She told me filters are wear items and they have no document of warranty on filters in their systems. I pointed out the warranty link on the Purolator website and ask her look at it. She told me that as far as they know, that warranty is false. (WHO IS RUNNING THIS PLACE!)
mad.gif
She told me to ignore that now as they will have it fix on the website.

I ask about the warranty page I found in their Purolator catalog book at Pepboys and she told me that the warranty is through Pepboys. (Insert facepalm here) I ask her if she can e-mail me or mail a letter of documents stating that their no warranty on their oil filters. She said they can't but maybe tech hotline can do that. (seriously...)

IMG_1871_zps1ea4985f.jpg

^They told me that means nothing!

Their contact number is below if you want to call them.
http://www.group7autofilters.com/contact.html http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/pages/ContactUs.aspx
I know there's thousands of people driving around with Purolator/Bosch and have no problem but if any chance that something goes wrong; Purolator will not back up their products. (On the bright side, I found a nice deal on OEM Toyota filters.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back