Purolator and Proline filter difference observed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had bought some Proline filters a few months ago from Pep Boys as part of an oil special. The Proline (14610) was identical to the Purolator (as expected). This week, I picked up some more, but when I got home, I noticed that the Proline filter was about half an inch shorter than the Purolator version. The ID number imprinted on the top differed for the last digit. The Purolator was XXXXE1 and the Proline was XXXXE2.

Thread patter and holes are identical, but it simply looks like they went with a shorter body to save money on filter cost. Has anyone else observed this?

[ETA] Fixed timeline

Last edited:
Yes, I did notice the same thing the other day. The Proline 14610 is the same size as the Purolator 14612 (one inch shorter than the Purolator 14610).

The Proline 14610 is now using the body of the Purolator 14612

Also noticed it with my buddy's filter (Fram CH16 equivalent). The Proline was shorter than the Purolator.

For $0.50/filter more, I'd rather get the Purolator.

I bought some of these Monday.The 5 quarts of Shell and a Proline filter $9.99. I notice how small the filters were compared to the Purolator -14670. Not impressed. I will use them for 3,000 mile oil changes max.
I prefer the Purolator Plus filters. Next time they're on sale I plan to stock up.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
I bought some of these Monday.The 5 quarts of Shell and a Proline filter $9.99. I notice how small the filters were compared to the Purolator -14670. Not impressed. I will use them for 3,000 mile oil changes max.
I prefer the Purolator Plus filters. Next time they're on sale I plan to stock up.

Comparison of Purolator 14670 and ProLine 14670
PurolatorPremiumPlusParts.jpg

ProLineParts.jpg

What are the chances that Purolater is going to shorter filters across the board and the Proline filters got it first?

I'd keep an eye on the Regular Purolaters for a few months to see if they shrink too.

Since Proline is Pep Boys' house brand, it's more likely that Purolator is responding to a demand by Pep Boys to lower the cost of the filters.

Ed

Originally Posted By: edhackett
Since Proline is Pep Boys' house brand, it's more likely that Purolator is responding to a demand by Pep Boys to lower the cost of the filters.

Ed
Then he needs to move up to the PPL30001 filter
grin2.gif

Thank you so much for posting this. I was about to do the same in a few months on used Proline/Purolators.

The question is if this is going to make a difference in length of filter change interval? Would you still go 5k miles on this filter? Also, will it decrease the flow rate? Probably?

LMAO this doesn't surprise me. i work as a pep boys oil change tech, and the company is gun ho on giving away oil changes.

proline is the house brand oil and filter. makes sense that they would go cheaper on the filter. makes me wonder about the oil now too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back