Puro Classic Torn Media

Status
Not open for further replies.
After recently getting the results back from the bad Pureone I had, I cut open the Classic L14610 that was removed from the next oil change for inspection. OCI was 4,000 miles with Valvoline Synpower. I too discovered that it is torn in the same place as the P1 was. Ignore the horizontal cuts across the media... got too deep with the cutoff saw. The pleat spacing is too wide around the seam. I feel this is a serious design flaw. Puro has really put a bad taste in my mouth now. I installed another classic after this one was removed from my gf's car and now I'm tempted to remove it and put something else on.
Date code is F05B07E2
I have contacted Purolator and am waiting for the return kit.

SANY1002.jpg

SANY1001.jpg

SANY1004.jpg

SANY1005.jpg

SANY1006.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure how much of a problem this might be as far as the possibility of compromising the filtering but another thread here regarding a case of torn media on a cut open P1 was enough to get me to switch to Fram Ultra (at a higher price). Obviously there can be a problem with any filter but these instances of media failure on a couple of cut open units has me questioning the QC or worse yet, a design or assembly defect. Hopefully, Purolator is checking to see if there's a problem.

This and the "Our filters only run for 3,000 miles" craziness of last month made me jump ship too, after being a loyal P1 fan for 10 years. I even have one on my desk!

The torn media thing is not great but in the context of one failure like this among MILLIONS of filters, it's not a big deal. It's not a trend, even if you see more hyperventilated failures "exposed" elsewhere on the net (I'm not saying this is one of those, OK).

I remember when I worked as a dealer tech; I, and many of my compatriots, loved to wax on an on about particular troubles with particular vehicles. We were the "experts." Sometime we were even accurate but often it was a case of seeing only the 1-2 percent of the failure and not the 98-99 percent of success. People happy with their trouble free cars... generally we never saw them. All we saw was the bad stuff and to us, it seemed like the sky was falling. I had a good buddy who was a cop. He had to fight every day to keep perspective and not think the human race consisted solely of lowlife. He described the feeling of always wanting to "bunker up" his family.

Here at BITOG we are hyper-sensitized and perhaps looking much more closely at things than most. We also tend to be more pedantic. This tends to make use lose context. You just can't draw too many conclusions from any of this.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
Does the return kit include a replacement oil filter?
It is just a kit that has a return box, zip-lock bags, a claim form, and a next day air shipping label.

The ones we have seen like this have all been near the seam where the pleats are more widely spaced. IMO Puro needs a stronger media as they are using plenty of it now.

I have not yet seen a Motorcraft with this issue, anybody else seen one?

That's what happens with those lousy cheap filters with the metal end caps. If you had used a Fram with the composite fiber bonded end caps you wouldn't be having this problem or all of the angst that goes along with it.

Originally Posted By: Doog
That's what happens with those lousy cheap filters with the metal end caps. If you had used a Fram with the composite fiber bonded end caps you wouldn't be having this problem or all of the angst that goes along with it.

LOL
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Doog

I get that was sarcasm but seriously, Fram's media seems tougher have not seen these types of tears on them even in the big gaps Fram is famous for because they don't use enough media in the OCOD.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I notice in the first photo that the pleat near the "tear" looks like it was manipulated, did you take your finger and play with the area?

Not manipulated. I had the same exact media tear/faiure on a Purolator Classic.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...902#Post2260902

I agree ... Purolator has a manufacturing issue with the spacing being too wide near the seam. Also, if you read my thread above, you will see that I mention the media seems to brittle and tears way before it flexes. That too is a factor in this kind of failure. The oil flow tries to bend the pleat over, and instead of flexing, it tears at the root of the pleat where it's glues to the end cap.

My last puro classic also showed very wide spacing by the seam, but the media had not torn. This was a low mileage 30001 on a 13 month OCI, and there was no string around the media like some previous 30001's I used previously whose pleats were more evenly spaced.
30001endcap_zps87175176.jpg

RE: Z06 and brittleness:
Perhaps the fiber end cap allows for enough flexing to avoid tearing? Does anyone have cut open Fram and Purolator filters around to evaluate media strength and flexibility/brittleness?

Most filter manufacturer's will not honor a warranty claim on a cut open filter from what I understand, but in this case how would you have known unless you cut it open?

Maybe they'll give you a few free filters anyway.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Most filter manufacturer's will not honor a warranty claim on a cut open filter from what I understand, but in this case how would you have known unless you cut it open?

Maybe they'll give you a few free filters anyway.

They confirmed my cut open P1 was defective and they gave me 2 free P1's. I'm not doing it for free filters.

Originally Posted By: trx250x92
I'm not doing it for free filters.

Exactly ... Purolator needs to know this is happening so they can rectify the problem.

The cartridge filters I have used have had near perfect pleat spacing no matter the brand. Purolator and other canisters have poor workmanship because so few are every opened up to be inspected. With this quality and lower filtration (40 micron) I have bought my last P1.

I posted a pic a while back of a Purolator Classic with a very similar failure. Was on my brothers car. Purolator media seems very dense, but apparently not as strong as it could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back