Proper Trailer Hitch Size for bike rack

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to buy a bike rack to haul my bikes around. My friend is a Raxter dealer and will be selling me one of these:

http://www.raxterracks.com/index.cfm?id=3&prodID=16

Since my Prius does not have a trailer hitch, I will need to install one. The Raxter Thorax bike rack is compatible with a 1.25" hitch.

My friend advised that I find a hitch that is "as high off the ground" as possible, which I presume means to have a trailer hitch where the receiver is as close to the bumper as possible. This does not sound like a bad idea, since my car is lowered on TRD springs, so I need all the ground clearance I can get. So, I was thinking about getting a stealth hitch such as this one since the receiver is flush against the bumper and the bar is completely tucked up there:

36702d1334354244-2-trailer-hitch-2010-available-anywhere-hitch1.jpg

So these are my questions:

1) Is that rack a good choice for hauling 3 bikes? Ignore the price tag...

2) Is it advisable to find a trailer hitch that is "as high off the ground" as possible, so that you minimize the risk of scraping the hitch and/or rack on driveways, bumps, etc?

3) Even though the rack only needs a 1.25" hitch, I may have a use for a 2" hitch at some point in the future. Is it OK to use a 2" to 1.25" adapter or should I just buy the proper 1.25" hitch? I have been told before that a 2" hitch is always the better choice since it will flex less.

Thanks.

Seems to me that a 2" would hang a bit lower than a 1.25, but likely not low enough to matter. My bigger concern would be how far out the rack stuck out (for departure angle going on some terrain features.

My Thule rack fits both 1.25 and 2" receivers, and holds three bikes very sturdy.

That one you linked to sticks way out when folded down. I much prefer one like this:

http://www.thule.com/en-US/US/Products/Bike-Carriers/Hitch/9025-Apex-4-Bike

All you need is a basic hitch, lowest requirements possible. 1.25 or whatever the standard is. I have a basic stage one on my Honda and it holds my Swagmann bike rack perfectly and I've never had a ground clearance issue. Also the Civic sedans are fairly low cars even without lowering springs and clearance is fine.

I think you should go for the 2" receiver, it would be laughable to say the least. Can you imagine everyone noticing a 2" receiver on a Prius, I chuckle just thinking about it.

I doubt anyone makes a 2" receiver for a Prius. The liability issues would be serious if someone tried towing too much. 1.25 will be fine. My daughter has a 1.25 on a Civic with a bike mount and it is very robust.

Originally Posted By: user52165
I doubt anyone makes a 2" receiver for a Prius. The liability issues would be serious if someone tried towing too much. 1.25 will be fine. My daughter has a 1.25 on a Civic with a bike mount and it is very robust.

There is a company that makes a 2" custom stealth hitch for the Prius. Cost is $275 but I will pay if it gives me better stability.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

There is a company that makes a 2" custom stealth hitch for the Prius. Cost is $275 but I will pay if it gives me better stability.

Got a link?

You are worrying about the wrong thing. It is the rack itself that counts. A good design mounted in a good 1.25 receiver will be very strong and stable. A 2" receiver is dumb and any firm that makes one is asking for trouble. You would be adding extra non removable weight on the rear of the car.

What is the tow rating for a Prius? Why would a 2" receiver ever be needed?

Last edited:

Got a link?

You are worrying about the wrong thing. It is the rack itself that counts. A good design mounted in a good 1.25 receiver will be very strong and stable. A 2" receiver is dumb and any firm that makes one is asking for trouble.

http://shop.tlcentral.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=157&idproduct=1039

The Prius is not rated for towing. I was only considering the 2" in case I buy a carrier in the future that requires a 2".

Got a link?

You are worrying about the wrong thing. It is the rack itself that counts. A good design mounted in a good 1.25 receiver will be very strong and stable. A 2" receiver is dumb and any firm that makes one is asking for trouble.

http://shop.tlcentral.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=157&idproduct=1039

The Prius is not rated for towing. I was only considering the 2" in case I buy a carrier in the future that requires a 2".

So none of the major players like Hidden Hitch, Reese, U Haul, etc. make a 2" receiver - doesn't that tell you something? Not rated for towing - tells us something too. I have seen it done many times for light loads.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with that specific rack, but when I recently bought my trunk mount rack (and hated it), I read a lot of reviews and talked to my bike friends. I still use my trunk rack, but I avoid using it whenever possible.

The people I talked to liked the roof-mounted racks the best. The trunk mounted ones are flimsy and a PITA, and I've heard some bad things about hitch-mounted models as well. What I've heard is they still sway around a lot, especially after they get some miles on them.

The fact that the rack you linked to sticks out so far when folded down makes me think it will really flop around a lot. Do you know anyone who has one that you could see in person and see how much movement there is in it?

Last edited:
user52165 - you make a good point about the greater importance of the rack than the hitch. I think I will just use the cheaper Curt 1.25".

stephen9666 - My friend who is the dealer, has one himself. I will go look at it this week and see.

In my research online, I have noticed that the 1up USA racks have a similar loading style (but does not require the velcro straps). Does anyone have experience with these?

http://www.1upusa.com/quik-Rack-Black.html

I measured the bumper today and it appears that there are no clearance issues. I will go with a 1.25" Hidden Hitch for $110 and save the $$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back