Procharger self contained oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried searching for a thread on this and didn't find any which is a surprise to me. I figured it would have been discussed before.
Anyways, are there any Procharged vehicles on this forum that use oil other than the proprietary Procharger oil? Has anyone ran a VOA on their brand oil? My head unit is losing about 6 ounces every 1000 miles, and buying their stuff at $14 a bottle is going to get costly.

I'm wondering if it's equivalent to any of the motor oils or ATFs out there. On other forums many people have run RP 20w-50 with no issues, but I have a small stock of ATFs and thought about going through that first since the internals are made of gears and high speed bearings. On another note, Procharger head units (and turbochargers) share oil supply from the engine so anything from a 5w-30 to a 20w-50 should work in theory.

What are everyone's thoughts?

I never thought to use jet turbine oil but that seems brilliant.

I ran some numbers real quick and my blower will see a maximum of 45k RPM at 6k engine RPM with my current pulley setup. I believe there are ABEC7 bearings inside. Would turbine oil be overkill for this application?

Originally Posted By: CT8
Is the unit supposed to loose that much oil?

Absolutely not. But a quick search tells me it is very common.

The seals provided by Procharger leave much to be desired and the pressure inside the case has nowhere to go because it's not vented.
When I find the time I'm going to replace the seals and upgrade to a D1 impeller while I'm at it, but for the time being I will continue to do the perpetual oil change. But I did want to ask around for a good substitute oil while I gather parts/funds for a rebuild.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: semaj281
The seals provided by Procharger leave much to be desired and the pressure inside the case has nowhere to go because it's not vented.
When I find the time I'm going to replace the seals and upgrade to a D1 impeller while I'm at it, but for the time being I will continue to do the perpetual oil change. But I did want to ask around for a good substitute oil while I gather parts/fund for a rebuild.

When you do have it re-sealed, I would ask/look into a breather valve instead of a simple fill cap.

I plan on re-sealing it myself. I could buy the parts with the upgraded impeller for about $600 which is almost $1k cheaper than what Procharger charges.

The "fill cap" is just a flat head screw and I don't know if there's a breather valve that small. But I will look around.

Last edited:
You should be able to find one. Just search for the thread size followed by "breather valve."

Seems like a serious omission by the manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back