Primacy vs Assurance Comfort Tread Touring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting my tires replaced tomorrow. Which are better for a 03 Camry? The primacy is rated as an H and the goodyear is a v rating. Goodyear has the better warranty and is rated correctly as a v, but that was never really a thought concerning a "H" to "V". I have a set of hydroedges that have only lasted around 40K and need to be replaced. Just looking for some advice.
Thanks

Something is wrong if you only got 40k from hydro edges on a Camry. I don't think you can go wrong with either, so id buy based upon the deals available.

wear was surprising, but the tire place wants to prorate them and replace them. Loved the hydro edges. Did well, but we are going to get them replaced tomorrow. We have primacy's on our other camry and love them. Great feeling tire, just hoping to find one that holds up a little better, but for the most part it has been a great tire.

For some reason my 03 camry eats tires. I have had 4 sets on them for 130k. No alignment issue, my other camry seems to be easier on tires. Not sure of the reason always thought it was the quality of tire I used, but the hydro's were the best tire I placed on them. Hopefully this next set will be a winner.

Comfortreds have a rebate upto $120 if purchased with a Goodyear Card. We have had excellent feedback from our Toyota customers about these tires. I say go for it.

Originally Posted By: bfrey64
wear was surprising, but the tire place wants to prorate them and replace them. Loved the hydro edges. Did well, but we are going to get them replaced tomorrow. We have primacy's on our other camry and love them. Great feeling tire, just hoping to find one that holds up a little better, but for the most part it has been a great tire.

Never seen a hydroedge wear on in 40k. It isn't really the correct fitment for the vehicle though being that it is T rated tire. Haven driven on both tires, I prefer the Primacy MXV4(I'm assuming that is what tire you are referring to) I don't know what the difference in cost is between the two you are looking for, but the Primacy MXV4 is an excellent all round touring tire. In fact it is rated #1 by CR, and has been top rated tire for the past years from TireRack.com

In all honesty, if you have the option, I would look into the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus. The "Plus" is key. Not the same tire as the older Turanza Serenity. Aynway,it has a 75k or 80k warranty depending on speed rating. Performs better wet and dry than the Primacy MXV4, and ride quality is just as good. Just my experience from testing them.

i just put the assurance comfortread touring tires on my ES300 last month, and I'm loving them. Very quiet, and a smooth ride. And, it's V rated which is what the car was equipped with, not that it really needs a V rated tire.

Yeah, I know about the v rating. I just want the best tire price really isn't a factor. Yeah I was surprised about the wear but I really like michelin but for the price the comfort treads touring seems to be the best valve. I like the 70k and the v rating, but we have primacy's on our other camry. Great tire, but regardless just looking for a good all season tire and hoping for a quieter ride. I too was surprised about the wear on the hydro's. I might be between 40 and 50k, I know that they have about half there life and already worn through, but I would rather be safe then sorry on set of tires that are not wearing well. Keep you posed, glad to hear the Goodyears are performing well on the toyota's.

Originally Posted By: hypervish
i just put the assurance comfortread touring tires on my ES300 last month, and I'm loving them. Very quiet, and a smooth ride. And, it's V rated which is what the car was equipped with, not that it really needs a V rated tire.

The G/Y ACT's kinda grow on ya, don't they?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

smile.gif

Yes, sir!
smile.gif

smile.gif

They do seem to do even better after they are broken in. Mine didnt seem as "grabby" the first thousand miles or so, but now with about 1/32 ~ 2/32nds worth of wear on them, they are starting to stick better as well. And best of all, they have allowed me to record my best hwy mpg yet, 32.4 mpg in the Acura!

if you liked the hydroedges the defender is what replaced them.

and the primacy mxm4 is widely regarded as superior to both.

I certainly hope ComfortTread "V" & "H" are completely different tires than ComfortTread "T".

The T rated version was on my most recent car when I bought it. It was by far the most hopelessy inept tire I have ever experienced. Unless you practically coasted down, just about any type of braking could become dramatic. Wheelspin at 2300 rpm from an overweight 4-cylinder sedan. Didn't even take bumps that well.

I understand the tires were down to the last quarted of their life, maybe that excuses the bouncing and floating on the highway in the rain. But tread depth is not an issue on dry pavement and these things still had miserbale grip. Just required constant "babying" of the peddals, and in the wet, even that wasnt enough sometimes.

Originally Posted By: Darris
I certainly hope ComfortTread "V" & "H" are completely different tires than ComfortTread "T".

The T rated version was on my most recent car when I bought it. It was by far the most hopelessy inept tire I have ever experienced. Unless you practically coasted down, just about any type of braking could become dramatic. Wheelspin at 2300 rpm from an overweight 4-cylinder sedan. Didn't even take bumps that well.

I understand the tires were down to the last quarted of their life, maybe that excuses the bouncing and floating on the highway in the rain. But tread depth is not an issue on dry pavement and these things still had miserbale grip. Just required constant "babying" of the peddals, and in the wet, even that wasnt enough sometimes.

Comfortreds have been redesigned and renamed Comfortred Touring All Season. The new ones are the ones I am refering to.

The H- and V- rated versions of the ComforTred Touring are likely different than T-rated ComforTreds (were yours the "Touring", Darris?), but even still, the ComforTred Touring hasn't shown to be a top performer in terms of traction. Here's a Tire Rack test:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=138

It ranked 3rd of 4 tires, scoring near the bottom in both dry and wet traction metrics. It had the longest stopping distance of the 4, wet and dry.

Instrumented tire testing is a wonderful thing. Most users can't discern between this or that tire in terms of true safety-related measurements like stopping distance. One tire may "feel nice", and "ride good", and that's okay if it's your top priority. But if you put traction and grip before a good ride, reading Tire Rack's and Consumer Reports' comparative testing will steer you in the right direction, no pun intended.

The difference between the worst wet performer in the 50-0 mph test (the Goodyear) and the best performer in the test (the Michelin) is about 25 feet. I don't consider that a trivial difference; that can be the difference between you hitting something and not.

smile.gif

I'm on my second set.

There's not many times in my life where I flat out *don't* consider/research any alternatives.

However, this was one of them.

Originally Posted By: bfrey64
Different strokes. If you liked the tire and the dealer prorates it for you,then what's the problem? I want my tires to wear out,in the warranty period,so I can get a fresh set at a pro rated price.

There is no problem, not sure what you mean by this statement. I was able to choose whatever tire I want. I went with the GYA Comfort Tread Touring, nice tire. Looks a little odd at first but the ride is smooth. I feel like I have a new suspension. Its great, but only time will tell. The primacy is a great tire, but the price for the V rated tire was nearly 50 dollars a tire more. This tire seems to be a great value. Quiet and smooth, can't ask for much more.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
The H- and V- rated versions of the ComforTred Touring are likely different than T-rated ComforTreds (were yours the "Touring", Darris?), but even still, the ComforTred Touring hasn't shown to be a top performer in terms of traction. Here's a Tire Rack test:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=138

It ranked 3rd of 4 tires, scoring near the bottom in both dry and wet traction metrics. It had the longest stopping distance of the 4, wet and dry.

Instrumented tire testing is a wonderful thing. Most users can't discern between this or that tire in terms of true safety-related measurements like stopping distance. One tire may "feel nice", and "ride good", and that's okay if it's your top priority. But if you put traction and grip before a good ride, reading Tire Rack's and Consumer Reports' comparative testing will steer you in the right direction, no pun intended.

The difference between the worst wet performer in the 50-0 mph test (the Goodyear) and the best performer in the test (the Michelin) is about 25 feet. I don't consider that a trivial difference; that can be the difference between you hitting something and not.

You make some good points but besides wet braking, glancing over the results the ComfotTred seemed to be about second or first in a lot of areas. Price is also a factor.

The problem with trying to make a comparison is one brand's tire may be a low rolling resistance in one size while another brand isn't. Also the tire tests don't always keep with the changes made to the tire. This test was the Michelin Primacy MXM4 and while the Primacy in both MXM and MXV seem to test well in wet braking, unless it is a recent test of the same size, exact model, speed rating etc of the tire you're buying the test results might not be completely applicable especially where the difference was small.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back