Pressure Differential gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been thinking of installing a differential gauge to monitor the status of my full flow.
Has anyone here done so,if so like to here your
experiences and observations.

With all the disscussion and questions about when filter is bypassing
(cold starts,sythetic vs dino,wieghts,restrictive filters,oversize filters,plugged,different brands
,etc,etc.)
I am suprised i have seen no disscussion(search)
or responce to this thread.
It seems to me all the questions could be answered
with the addition of a dp gauge and would be a great experimental and informative tool.
They are readily available from low cost
indicators to highly priced precision instuments.

Jeeper, I had been toying with the idea of using a remote filter kit and attaching a pressure gauge on the in and out of the two hoses. The problem I have is I had no place to put one in the engine compartment.

I thought it would be great to run it on start up, driving , high rev, accelleration, and all sorts of times on different filters to see the variances. I had even bought 5 different filters to play with but again, no room in the engine compartment
frown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:
Jeeper, I had been toying with the idea of using a remote filter kit no room in the engine compartment
frown.gif

You could use a sandwich adapter,plumb to that,and leave the filter in the stock location.
It would add about 1.5 in to the filter length.

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:
attaching a pressure gauge on the in and out of the two hoses.

Also Bob, There is no need to install two gauges
A dp gauge has two inputs(higher&lower)
It doesnt read the actual pressure in lines,
it registers the difference(no math).

Jeeper - I am not sure that adapter would work. From the description it sounds as if the ports are both "upstream" of the filter, to route the oil to and from a remote cooler. If that is the case, a DP gauge plumbed to the adapter ports would show almost no differential pressure. Are there different types of sandwich adapters?

quote:

Originally posted by GlenFord:
ports are both "upstream" of the filter

It appears you are correct.
I was informed by "oilguardfilters" that the ports were before/after and it also implies that on the installation portion of thier site.
There is one available from Canton/meeca with this configuration but it is only for big/small block Chevs.
Thank you for pointing that out as when thought of it does not make much sense to bypass filter
if you were using it for a cooler install.
Going to inquire with other manufactures
to see if bypass types are available for my application,as i also have no room for a remote.
Thanks again

quote:

Originally posted by jeeper:
Been thinking of installing a differential gauge to monitor the status of my full flow.
Has anyone here done so,if so like to here your
experiences and observations.

You'll also need a thermometer so you're comparing the differential pressure at identical oil temperature/viscosity.

Ken

Racor has some spin on filters with removable, cleanable stainless steel filter elements. These units have a sensor in them to connect to a dashboard light that tells you that your bypass valve just opened. This tells you it's time to clean the filter.

Does anybody have any experience with these?

No luck yet finding a sandwich adapter that suites my needs
I have found a interesting filter with a optional
differential pressure indicator light for automotive applications.
Two problems doesn't look like it's available in north america and loook's $expensive$

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back