PQIA tests ten 5W-20s - one gets an Advisory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dave1251
Originally Posted By: FetchFar
Originally Posted By: jorton
OK. Then what's the problem with a 15% NOAK oil?

There is a reason that the tough MB 229.5 spec requires div>

This is really a incomplete statement. Some conventional PCMO's have NOACK values below 6%. You have a lot to learn. It would be a great benefit if you would learn a bit before making such absolute statements.

The question was "whats the problem with 15%" and I simply stated the fact that stringent specs require much less than that. .. All true statements, so whats your problem?

It is very simple. You are very obsessed with NOACK and sequence test's and not explained what you have posted means. In particular in actual use.

It is very simple. You are very obsessed with NOACK and sequence test's and not explained what you have posted means. In particular in actual use.

By all means, share your infinite wisdom. ... My point is that vaporization of hot oil inside of an engine is a concern for oil specs. Thats all, just a fact. ... Specs are formed by running actual engines, with oil that meets hths, viscosity, noack limits, etc., and a way for engine makers to support the quality of what goes into the sump. And, oil thats a vapor is generally thought to clog pcv valves, create more deposits, etc., conventional wisdom in the industry about volatility, and NOACK is one measure of volatility. .. Do you now want God himself to miniaturize you and take you through an engine cycle?

It's clear to me that Valvoline/Ashland products are not top tier.

SOPUS, BP, and EOM are pushing the envelope forward and Valvoline isn't.

Warren products like Walmart Super Tech and Peak are performing as well as or better than Valvoline.

Well I hope for your soul you do not believe you are the good Lord. Second if the only quality that a engineer was concerned about was evaporation then quite a bit of recommendations in the owners manual would be for 10w40 or 20w50 grades since more than a few have single digit NOACK values.

Oils I'm running in both cars are dexosI approved. One Ford and one Jeep, and I don't see any evaporation on dipsticks, so we should all be healthy wealthy and wise. Did something good last year when I bought a 1 year supply of dexos1 oil on sale. Now if only Walmart would offer $5.00 off coupons for Synpower again...Viva dexos!

Last edited:
Second if the only quality that a engineer was concerned about was evaporation then quite a bit of recommendations in the owners manual would be for 10w40 or 20w50 grades since more than a few have single digit NOACK values.

Where are you getting this idea of "only quality". Nobody said that. NOACK is ONE quality, not the be all end all you make it out to be. Get a grip.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
GTL right now is only about a 3.5 cSt base oil, so other components have to be used to get NOACK down and viscosity and VI up.

According to Pennzoil Q&A here on BITOG, "GTL base stocks come in 3 grades, denoted 3, 4 and 8. The 3, 4 and 8 base oil grades are produced at the Pearl plant in Qatar."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back